What's new

Sucker Punch Trailer - WOW! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The film's repeat viewabilty takes a nose-dive once you realize that the uber-cool Babydoll fantasy sequences are happening to her during her being sexually assaulted. There's a certain icky-ness to the painstaking execution of such eye-candy action sequences that is off-putting in retrospect.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Just the opposite for me Patrick, the more I see this film the more I want to watch it again. I so cannot wait for that extra 18 minute director's cut on the Blu-ray. This is easily my favorite film of the past decade. Spectacular.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's the interesting thing. I am NOT the target audience, by a long shot. I'm mostly into what others consider "artsy" stuff. Still, I thought this movie was surprisingly interesting. FWIW, I like Zack Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead" but "300" and "Watchmen" just made me numb. I admit that the action sequences in "Sucker Punch" looked game-like, but that must have been intentional. After all, good CGI doesn't mean a good movie. Look at "Transformers". Great effects, but I swear my IQ dropped 15 points while I watched it. I see what Snyder was trying to do. He stretched the audience a bit too far and didn't really work everything out logically. Still, I much prefer a filmmaker TRY something and fall short, than resoundingly succeed at creating mediocrity. Transformers, The Hangover and yes, Iron Man. They are like movie tofu. I think I'll give the DC a try.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The DC is a much better cut, and, what Snyder wanted the audience to see until the MPAA got involved and made him cut out PG-13 material, so he could keep his film PG-13. Seriously, what was cut in no way comes close to an R rating. It is a much better cut of the film John and adds quite a bit.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The MPAA is insane. I mean, look at some of their decisions, such as Scarface originally getting an "X" rating, not because a guy was dismembered with a chainsaw, but because a creepy night club clown got shot. Anyway, I got the 3 disc set used for about $15.

Habbakuk

Auditioning
Real Name
Habbakuk Jones
I love grindhouse films and B-gore films like Planet Terror, Hobo With a Shotgun, and Machete, but this film was deplorable. Sums up everything I hate about so many modern films, just mindless pointless shit that people love only because it has tits.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Habbakuk said:
I love grindhouse films and B-gore films like Planet Terror, Hobo With a Shotgun, and Machete, but this film was deplorable. Sums up everything I hate about so many modern films, just mindless pointless shit that people love only because it has tits.
You have to be kidding. You love Machete, but hate Sucker Punch for being mindless and accuse anyone who enjoys it as loving it only "because it has tits"? Have you SEEN Machete? OK, you don't like the movie but that argument is self defeating. Does this mean you think Machete and Hobo with a Shotgun are intelligent movies? This reminds me of someone who derided The Proposition for being violent and then praised Tarantino as the greatest living filmmaker. :laugh: Besides, where is the comparison to Grindhouse movies. This is not meant to be anything like a Grindhouse movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JohnRice said:
You have to be kidding. You love Machete, but hate Sucker Punch for being mindless and accuse anyone who enjoys it as loving it only "because it has tits"? Have you SEEN Machete? OK, you don't like the movie but that argument is self defeating.
Machete wasn't afraid of having nudity but Sucker Punch is a movie that simply revels in its fetishes. That doesn't make it bad but Machete and Sucker Punch are two different things entirely.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Travis, I agree. I'm not the one who drew the parallel. I was just commenting on the absurdity of condemning a movie as something people only like "because it has tits", which does not have a single bare breast, right after praising another movie that revels in bare breasts. Sucker Punch was supposed to be an "R" rated movie. It has titilation. I don't argue that at all.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Habbakuk

This comment here makes absolutely no sense and is just plain laughable. Hopefully that's what was intended, a joke and nothing more.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What are you saying Ron? I thoroughly enjoy tits. I'm all for 'em.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ron-P said:

Robert, it's both. Simple eye-candy on the surface with some real world issues beneath, and there's no happy Hollywood ending here either. After seeing it a second time it's what I've come to conclude. Even the group I saw it with yesterday felt the same way. 

Like Travis said, it does leave a lot open to personal interpretation, which to me, is the perfect film. My friends were bummed that we never got to see "the dance" but to me, that is one of those things that's best left to the imagination, as are many other things with this film.

This has replaced my #1 film of all-time, Edward Scissorhands. Edward has been bumped to the #2 spot. 
jamesshawn43 said:
yaah frnds i also like this movie so much
I just finished the theatrical version. I'd love to see the longer version but i don't have any desire to buy this just to see the longer cut. After reading through this thread I'm still not sure who was real and who wasn't at least as far as Baby Doll and Sweat Pea are concerned. Btw what happened to James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks