What's new

Sucker Punch Trailer - WOW! (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
First off, I can understand why this film is tanking at the box office, it's way too heavy and deals with some very serious, real world issues that most do not want to walk out of a theater thinking about. Add to that, there are many layers to this film and it requires some serious thought to try and understand. I just saw it for the second time and I'm not sure I fully understand it yet. This film deals with a lot of sexual abuse by a step-father and by the Blue inside the asylum.

I've almost come to the conclusion that Baby Doll and Sweet Pea are one in the same. Baby Doll in the real world, after all the film begins and ends with her in it (the real world). Then her (Baby Doll) as a side character in the fantasy world and she is Sweet Pea. This way, as Sweet Pea, she escapes her real world issues and torments and actual lobotomizing. The scene in the theater, on stage it is Sweet Pea dressed up as Baby Doll getting a lobotomy.

Also, as for Patrick's question "About Vera being Polish". There is a comment that Blue makes about her technique, he calls it her "Polish technique". So, one can assume that she might be Polish based on that comment.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit confused, Ron. My initial impression was that you like this movie because it's simple eye candy. Now you're describing it as heavy, deep, and layered.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
To me, it's just a sexploitation action movie that leaves what is fantasy and what is reality deliberately open to interpetation. That doesn't mean that it's bad but being ambiguous doesn't mean that it has any deep meaning either. I think what is or isn't real in the movie was intended to be more like a fun puzzle (like looking back at The Sixth Sense) than an attempt at depth.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by RobertR

I'm a bit confused, Ron. My initial impression was that you like this movie because it's simple eye candy. Now you're describing it as heavy, deep, and layered.

Robert, it's both. Simple eye-candy on the surface with some real world issues beneath, and there's no happy Hollywood ending here either. After seeing it a second time it's what I've come to conclude. Even the group I saw it with yesterday felt the same way.

Like Travis said, it does leave a lot open to personal interpretation, which to me, is the perfect film. My friends were bummed that we never got to see "the dance" but to me, that is one of those things that's best left to the imagination, as are many other things with this film.

This has replaced my #1 film of all-time, Edward Scissorhands. Edward has been bumped to the #2 spot.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Originally Posted by Ron-P

Robert, it's both. Simple eye-candy on the surface with some real world issues beneath, and there's no happy Hollywood ending here either. After seeing it a second time it's what I've come to conclude. Even the group I saw it with yesterday felt the same way.

Like Travis said, it does leave a lot open to personal interpretation, which to me, is the perfect film. My friends were bummed that we never got to see "the dance" but to me, that is one of those things that's best left to the imagination, as are many other things with this film.

This has replaced my #1 film of all-time, Edward Scissorhands. Edward has been bumped to the #2 spot.

Wait...Ron are you saying Sucker Punch is your favorite #1 film of all time?? Or just as a "fantasy" film?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Of all-time my friend. I absolutely love this film, and every aspect of it. It's dark, it's sad, it's emotionally stirring, it's fun, lot's of action set in fantasy worlds, hot chicks. and lots of guns and explosions. This is, my kind of film. This is also my favorite genre, far surpassing all others.

You see, I watch films for one reason, too escape reality for a bit and it's films like these that do just that. Sure, it deals with some real world issues but it's all set in a fantasy world. On top of that, I don't need Oscar worthy performances, a deep plot or perfect visual effects to enjoy, or even love, a film. Hence why Edward Scissorhands sat at the top of my list for a very, very long time. It's still up there, but just sits at #2 now.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Brave statement my friend

That's cool. I go to the movies for the same reason. I wish I enjoyed it as much as you.

As I said, can't wait for the Blu..and that shouldn't be to far off.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Oh, and on top of all that Tino, the film has a fantastic soundtrack, the music was excellent with several songs sung by Emily Browning (Baby Doll).

But yeah, what else can I say, I love this film. It's going to be a VERY long wait for the Blu-ray disc. Hopefully by summer we will get it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I loved the soundtrack too. Waiting for the mp3 to go on sale at Amazon to pick it up. Emily Browning sings better than she acts.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I saw it last night and I thought it was very bland. Some of the effects were good but the ending?

So we are suppose to believe this all happened in her head? That she had gotten a lobotomy?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ron-P

I've almost come to the conclusion that Baby Doll and Sweet Pea are one in the same. Baby Doll in the real world, after all the film begins and ends with her in it (the real world). Then her (Baby Doll) as a side character in the fantasy world and she is Sweet Pea. This way, as Sweet Pea, she escapes her real world issues and torments and actual lobotomizing. The scene in the theater, on stage it is Sweet Pea dressed up as Baby Doll getting a lobotomy.

Actually, I'll spoiler it:

It's really Sweet Pea's story from the get-go, but with 2 layers of fantasy characters where in one she's Babydoll, and then also in her "go-to" dance fantasy world in the other layer. That's the "sucker punch" aspect, all the while you think you're in Babydoll's POV for the most part, it's really Sweet Pea's story, but told through an imagined POV of Babydoll in 2 layers.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I agree about this being Sweet Pea's story, after all, it's mention twice in the film. But, Baby Doll cannot be a fantasy girl or Sweet Pea's fantasy girl, after all it is Baby Doll who is in the real world, who killed her sister and who is lobotomized in the end.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for posting that Aaron. It's a bit to late to read it all but this sure hits the nail on the head.

As universal fare, I understand that Sucker Punch has major flaws, but for what it was trying to be, for who it was designed to appeal to, it really is close to flawless.

The critics who hated this film, not so much the ambivalent ones, but the critics who hated it, strike me as anachronistic, unable to tolerate the mind-numbing overkill that’s beautifully painted upon the canvas of Baby Doll’s psyche. I’d say, if you can’t handle said overkill, then you’re not a member of the target audience.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Would you feel better about the film if you realized that each Babydoll dance fantasy sequence happened while she was being raped by the orderlies and others within the asylum, and used fantasy to escape her harsh reality? Just thought I'd throw that out there for discussion.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The underlying story to this film is that she is being raped and/or sexually assaulted by the orderlies, and by her step father. But I'm not sure why your asking if I would feel better about the film, not clear on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks