What's new

subwoofer selection and placment (1 Viewer)

kyutaek

Agent
I have some questions about the selection and placement of my first subwoofer. I will get Epos ELS-3 (main and center, on order) and want to buy a subwoofer. I am not a big fan of loud music, but need one for better(tight) bass sound.(70% music, 30% movie).

How do I select a brand/model(size) of subwoofer. Does bigger size (12, 15") mean that I have to play them in a louder volume (to get their bass potential maximized) and thus, more vibrating (sound transmission) throughout the whole room and (possibly) neighbor (I will put it in a hardwood floor with another townhome attached)? If my listening preference (at a lower volume) and possible trouble with my neighbor are closedly related with the size of subwoofer, I would go with smaller (8 or 10").

Also, I want to put a subwoofer in a shelf of my entertainment center. My wife doesn't want to put it in better position (front corner of the room, right next to the wall) for cosmetic reason). The bottom shelf is made by wood and there are two glass shelves upward. Is there any vibrating (and possible damage to the entertainment center) if I put subwoofer there? If it is true, any equipment to minimize vibration which enables me to put there?

I am currently thinking either HSU STF-1 or STF-2 (budget $300 -$400). Given the information, if you comment my selections and/or suggest any better model (to suite my needs)

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
it will probably rattle it (the shelf) if you put it there. tell her (your wife) to just let you put it in the best place possible (the corner).

Chris Bplayer

Auditioning
The size of the room is the biggest factor in determining the size of the sub. The second factor is the amount of low bass (extension) required. Generally, the lower the extension, the bigger the sub. Third, is the volume that it will be played at.

For a typical town house sized room not located in the basement, your needs will be minimal. With you choice of 70% music, not played loudly, the Hsu STF-1 should be very good. Most music does not go below 30Hz unless you are into organ music.

Placing the sub on a shelf in an entertainment centre is a very bad idea. The sub should be floor mounted, and if it is on hardwood floor, there should be a throw rug under it to prevent the spikes damaging the floor and to improve the sound quality (SQ).

The ELS-3 is rated down to 65Hz so a sub is need for low bass, but you may be better off not having a sub than placing it on a shelf in the entertainment centre.

If you can afford it, you could also conside the STF-2 which will provide growth opportunities if you decide to move or your usage for HT increases.

kyutaek

Agent
Thanks for your posts.
Now I have an idea to resolve the issue: To put ths small size subwoofer at the bottom of the entertainment center.
It would still not be a desirable location (the corner wall), but it will be floor mounted (there is no shelf on the bottom and a thick wood shelf upward,though). The maximum size I can put is 12" (H) X 14" (W). I know that the size limit will exclude a lot of good subwoofers. But, it would be still better than not having a woofer, if the possible vibrating aren't that bad (when placed on the bottom. Does anyone recommend any smaill size subwoofer I can choose? I found one (Sony ES Series SA-WD100

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks