What's new

Subwoofer>reciever question (1 Viewer)

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
I have a very general question that im sure someone can answer for me. I am looking to upgrade my Sub and I am looking at subs with large built in amps. My current reciever does not have an amp input. Does that mean that that subs with built in amps would not work?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
What receiver do you have? Most receivers will have a subwoofer output which is made to hook up to a powered sub.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Most subwoofers have what is called high level inputs signified by either spring clip terminals or binding post. Most subs have high level left and right inputs that come from your receiver via speaker wire. Then in concordance with the inputs there is also output terminals to your left and right speakers. Note that some subs only have the high level inputs and no outputs, forcing you to make the wire jump yourself either at the sub or the receiver. Also, it would be wise to make absolutely sure that the left and right wires going to the sub are exactly the same length, doing so should increase accuracy and depth that the subwoofer was meant to output.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A small amount of difference in a few feet of wire is going to make no difference whatsoever.

Your receiver doesn't need an amp input, it needs to have a sub or R&L preamp output that can be fed to the vast majority of subs.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
well to be on the safe side, ya know. It would seem that any extra distance would have some effect, noticable, maybe not, but that is just what I would do just to be a perfectionist.

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
The sub that i was looking at was an outlaw audio LFM-1, which has a built in AMP. My reciever is an onkyo HT-s790 which i am going to upgrade in the future. My reciever does have a subwoofer pre out so i would imagine that this sub should work ok with this reciever for now. Right? Also i am guessing that the Left Right inputs on the sub would be if my reciever had those outs for the sub or if i had a seperate amp?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You are correct. With a powered sub you want to use the sub pre-out from your receiver.

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
thanks for the response. I was also looking at an svs 20-39 sub because I've heard a lot of good things about svs. this sub requires a separate amp though. Would I still be able to somehow configure this into my current system?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Yes. connect it the same way you would a powered sub (internally powered as apposed to passive that are powered externally by a seperate amplifier and X-over).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The cylinders are offered in powered as well - the PCi models vs the passive CS, though you can pick up a somewhat comparable amp relatively cheap too. Integration-wise though, it is simpler to have a powered cylinder.

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
so if I did decide to go with the external amp model where would the amp plug into? wouldn't it have to go receiver>amp>sub? I was told in another post that I would not be able to hook an amp up to my current reciever for my main speakers because I don't have a separate amp output on my receiver. sorry I'm somewhat of an audiophile in training and I definitaly lack in amp knowledge. thanks in advance

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as your receiver has a preamp sub output, you are fine, and that will be the best way to connect it. You would use the sub pre-out to the amp, possibly with a Y splitter to get 2 channels, and then simply hook speaker wire from the amp to the sub. If you don't have a sub pre-out, that will make it much more difficult.

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
is there any way that I can setup an amp for my main speakers somehow? I have ascend 340 SE's FLC which I can almost gaurantee need more power. like I said my receiver does have a sub preout but not an amp preout.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can get a passive line level adapter that will convert the speaker level signal to RCA that you can send to an amp, but most likely you won't end up with the best sound quality doing that. I'd probably just save up and get a new receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks