What's new

sub woofer help (1 Viewer)

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
I have a Samsung Smart TV... and leave the sound off (it echos if you don't) and have it hooked up to a Sony STR-DH520. Now here to fore, I had old Bose Acoustimass speakers wired to this reciever along with a big matching Bose bass module to witch all three sets of speaker wires ran to first, then they went "out" of the module up to the reciever. I've never been able to get any real bass response from that setup no matter what or how I set the reciever's controls and, now have the paired satellite ones (3 sets of 2 each) wired directly to the reciever and get good sound, albeit without much if any base.
My question is, are these modern recievers like mine, made for these powered sub-woofers instead of the Acoustimass systems of old? I see on the back connection panel of my reciever there's a place/plugin for a subwoofer....And if so, would one of these choices be good for finally getting some base into my audio?

http://www.frys.com/search?cat=-68924&pType=pDisplay&fq=100565%20Subwoofers

Any quick response appreciated as I've only today to shop for such as this... I'ts a drive to Houston to find a Fry's

regards ,m

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You should reconnect the bass module. Have no clue how the mid-range arrays sound good without the filtrring/EQ of the bass module.The bass module itself is not, and never has been, shouldn't be confused with, a proper subwoofer.Hook it back up and any subwoofer will work.

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
Ok.... so from an old post of mine (same probs really) I've asked this question before:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/321103-bass-module-sony-str-dh520-compatibility-question/

and you schan gave me a good answer (much thanks!). But now I remember what happend as it's happened again...I went and reinstalled that old bass mod. and set the pattern to 3.0 as you've suggested. However when I try for any volume, the reciever shuts off and goes to protect mode.

I have my three paired Acoutimass little speakers in the left, right and center connectors. so what am I doing wrong?

any help appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Like I said before...Open up the bass module(takes mere seconds to do it) and check for a wire that has fallen off something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks