What's new

Subwoofer questions (1 Viewer)

Dave Clem

Auditioning
I have ran the avia disc, calibrated, and used the spl meter. When I run the 6 point and 5 point low frequency sweep test, I am getting a 4-6 dbl. dip on my meter. My sub has no phase switch either. Just the crossover and volume knobs. Then the auto standby switch in the back. So when I calibrate using the normal avia tones, I cant hear the left speaker during playback. But I get a really good surround field on the right side. It is like the left is non-existent. My distances are correct on all my speakers, as my delay settings. Whats the deal???:confused:

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
I would just call the "FUK U OK A" SONY Dealer, if I were you....

Unless the SONY dealer say's to you "FUK U OK A".

But, I have no idea why a SONY dealer would do such a thing.

But I guess "FUK U OK A" is not the nice little free love town it once was.

Yeah, Thats right, that was back in the 60's... Back in the day, way back then, they had a lot of Canadian draft dodgers hiding out on that island. Those crazy Canadians would not believe anyone who told them that no one was looking for them! Those crazy Canadians at FUK U OK A island just never got the full treatment that American draft dodgers did... Now they want sympathy? Huh?
:rolleyes
:laugh: :confused:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Dave,
Your problem is not clear. Are you saying that the left and center channel speakers work at all times except when playing the Avia test tones?

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, at first I thought it quite rude to ask for help with the fukuoka as your location. I have since found out that there is actually a Fukuoka, Japan (boy do I feel silly if I was the only one who wasn't aware of this. Are you actually located in Fukuoka, Japan? Have you tried the in-phase out of phase test on the AVIA disk? If your sub has no phase switch, you could try reversing polarity on all of your speakers to have the same effect. The AVIA disk gives fairly good info on their phase test and what to do if their out of phase. As far as no sound, no idea, could be anything. A little more info might help some of the more knolegable help you.

Dave Clem

Auditioning
Its ok, and yes I really live in Fukuoka. Anyways. When I run the 5 point or six point lfe tests on avia, I get about a 4-6 dcbl drop on the spl meter. When I am watching a dvd, I cant hear the left speaker as well. It sounds like I have a real nice sound field on the right side, and a gap on the left. Could this be a phasing problem?? I switched my bass management to where I run the sub with speaker wire and the lfe filter. Then I set my receiver from sub to both. This helped the sound field a little, but I am still getting a drop in the bass on the spl meter. My delays are correct, I have tried sub movement and it seems like I have the best position for the sub. I ran the crossover tests with AVIA, and it seems like I have the croosover at the right point. I am wondering if it is phasing or the room. Since I dont have a phase switch, I will try reversing all my speaker wires. Anybody else with some bright ideas???
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Dave Clem

Auditioning
It jumps up a little at first then drops down pretty much right away,as soon as the test tone hits that certain speaker. I just tried switching the polarity of the speaker wires and that did not help, so I know the sub is in phase. I think its just room acoustics. I am just not getting a great bass balance all around even though the room is enclosed. I quess I could use an equalizer, but I want to get new b+w 600 series speakers, and a new sub. Until that time comes, or until I build a house that has a room designed for home theater, what can I do? Would using the wind band pink noise tones at the end of the AVIA disk even it out a little better? Not using the main speaker set up tones in the beginning, the ones at the end in the reference section that has them for each speaker. What do you think?:confused:

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Have you tried the sub in different locations in the room?

I'm still unclear about what you are hearing and when. You should use the pink noise test tones that go from speaker to speaker, to attain the same spl for each speaker using the receiver adjustments.

If you are using the sweep test....those do not travel from speaker to speaker. If that it is where you hear the drop in spl, then you will want to try a few things. Location of the sub, adjust crossover settings, or an equalizer.

Of course, this is all done from the listening position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks