What's new

Subwoofer & Amp Pairings: Brand Flexibility? (1 Viewer)

entgegnen

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hi. I am thinking of getting a Klipsch Subwoofer, (RW-5802) but the Klipsch site seems to indicate it will only function with its matched Klipsch Amp (RSA-500). Is this legit? - or are they really just trying to get me to buy everything together? Is there a real reason why another brand of quality Subwoofer Amp could not be substituted in place of the Klipsch brand? Thanks! (This was taken off the beginner forum area....I've deleted the post there. Sorry for the confusion.)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The amp may have EQ and filters built in that are specifically designed to work with those subs. Yes, another amp would power them but not optimally. $500 for an in-wall sub - why? They are never optimal for the room due to limited placement options. If you are dead set on in-wall subs, why not a blank in-wall mounting kit from Parts Express and a decent 8" driver or two. You can easily outperform Klipsch's horrible frequency response of 45hz to 140hz + or - 4db. You could buy http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-2024 and replace the drivers with much better ones and still be well below the cost of Klipsh. The only "in wall" sub I would ever recommend is an infinite baffle sub.

entgegnen

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I agree that an in-wall is sub-optimal. Given my floor-plan/space/furniture layout, (and the pre-wiring from the house), an in-wall provides the best (easiest/laziest) option for the space. It will be all retrofit (unfortunately)... I could blow out a section of drywall and do an in-frame Polk... but I am really sick of re-doing drywall/Painting, etc...at the moment. (read, my wife is sick of it). I like the infinite baffle suggestion. Are you able to recommend some mid-cost ideas for woofer cones? I just don't know the products that well. I am matching a whole bunch of Polk TC80i's. (mid-cost for me is 500)

entgegnen

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I really appreciate the tip. Especially by steering me towards better "value" choices. I took a look at the Klipsch again... yeah... a sub should be able to go far below 45Hz... clearly it is limited by the 8." Great forum.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
clearly it is limited by the 8."
I don't know what is limiting it but it isn't the size of the driver. My main speakers have dual 6.5" drivers and will play down to 35hz with authority. The Epic 8" from TC Sounds would be another choice if you need to stay small. Even the RE Audio REx 8" is an awesome little driver and they regularly sell for $100 / pair on Ebay.
Great forum.
Thanks. We try to be a friendly place with advice geared towards the best value.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks