What's new

A thread for testing $2000-$2500ish subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Summary of the SVS SB16 Ultra (in room -3 dB floor of 15.5 Hz).

The SVS SB16 Ultra is a GREAT answer to this question: Can I get world class bass in a subwoofer that is basically a 20 inch cube?

On music, the Ultra 16 was very close to matching the agility of the EP800, with just a hint of bloat (under blind testing) that was not present in the EP800. The bass line from the David Sanborn disc was more on a par with the V3601 - both very good, just not best in class. It handles the Steely Dan material with ease, and is a subwoofer that usually disappears both physically and in the music performance.

On movies, it hits the deep bass scenes with a little more authority than does the EP800, and while it IS possible to get it to audibly distort, it will only do so at SPL levels that the EP800 won't quite hit. Chalk that up to a little bit less aggressive use of the DSP.

The Pods emerge scene form WOTW is surprisingly potent for a single, 16 inch driver - while not does not move the floor with the same ease as do the dual 18's from the PSA, it still makes for great cinema. Sam's arrival in the grid does cause audible overload with the SVS, but that's a small price to pay, considering the compact size and low entry price ($2000 delivered).

Special merit for the smart phone App ... We are watching "DareDevil" on Netflix, and the bass is a bit overblown for the entire series. Being able to tamp it down from the listening position is a real plus.

Overall ... the SB-16 Ultra gets and A- for both music and movies.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nice write-ups, Craig! :thumbsup:

$2000k+ is a bit rich for a subwoofer on my budget currently.

Maybe someday, though. And if it happens, I'll be back here for some info.

The idea of turning TPM's pod race into "something special" sounds like a ton of fun! :D

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Nice write-ups, Craig! :thumbsup:

$2000k+ is a bit rich for a subwoofer on my budget currently.

Maybe someday, though. And if it happens, I'll be back here for some info.

The idea of turning TPM's pod race into "something special" sounds like a ton of fun! :D

It's too bad it can't turn the whole movie into something special.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I was in your shoes @Mike Frezon until I finally caved and bought two high-end subwoofers. The home theater experience is so much better with reference quality bass that it really does take it to the next level. It might be a good mid-life crisis investment, assuming you need an excuse!

Dave

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was in your shoes @Mike Frezon until I finally caved and bought two high-end subwoofers. The home theater experience is so much better with reference quality bass that it really does take it to the next level. It might be a good mid-life crisis investment, assuming you need an excuse!

Dave

@Dave Upton :

I never say NEVER (it's one of the wisdoms brought about by my # of years of age and life's experiences!

I NEVER thought as a young man that I'd own an SVS PB 1000. But I do.

I also NEVER thought I'd own a 55" Panasonic Plasma. But I do.

I also KNEW (with 100% certainty) that I'd NEVER own an Oppo disc player. But now I own a UDP-203.

Someday I'll get the OLED display to go with the player and hopefully someday I'll get a new receiver and speakers to upgrade to Atmos someday (since I really love great audio). So, who knows? Maybe I WILL get into the rarefied air of high end subs one day.

But it's a little beyond a "mid-life crisis" for me. I'll be 60 in a couple years. These dreams are turning into more of a "late-life crisis" decision for me! :laugh:

One thing I'm certain about...the descriptions in this thread really make it sound tempting--and fun!

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Hi all ... I just posted a new thread in the hardware classifieds with some GREAT prices on both review subs and some speakers we have had here.

There is even a lot of FREE stuff for people who can pick it up.

Lambeau

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Golubski
Craig , I have followed and value your opinion for a long time .
I have 2 ss18.2 subs with a Suntron MQ 600 amp .
The room is 2300 cubic feet and I am in sub base heaven .
How do these new subs rank compared to the 18.2s .

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Lambeau - I still love pairs of the old Chase CS/SS-18.2 with the MQ 600 amp. In a 2300 cubic foot room, if you have Audyssey XT or XT-32, you are getting solid bass to below 10 Hz. Mid bass is world class, and there is nothing not to like. Other than wanting something new, I can't think of a reason for you to change subs.

Lambeau

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Golubski
Lambeau - I still love pairs of the old Chase CS/SS-18.2 with the MQ 600 amp. In a 2300 cubic foot room, if you have Audyssey XT or XT-32, you are getting solid bass to below 10 Hz. Mid bass is world class, and there is nothing not to like. Other than wanting something new, I can't think of a reason for you to change subs.

Lambeau

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Golubski
Thanks for the response Craig . I am running XT32 and am quite pleased with the bass on music and movies .Just wondering how they would compare ?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Thanks for the response Craig . I am running XT32 and am quite pleased with the bass on music and movies .Just wondering how they would compare ?

Lambeau ... Your subs have about an extra octave of extension, better mid bass slam, and while a V3601 will have more output near the tuning point, overall your subwoofer system is really well balanced from 7 to 100 Hz in your room. None of the $2500 subs I tested could do that. Their floor is in the 12-14 Hz range.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
there is no slow bass please
try Saint Seians and let me know after a 16 hz
You sound like you don't know bass

PPIAMP

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Hello Craig,
I am also using Klipsch LaScala II's as my main speakers with a Klipsch RC-64 II for a center speaker. I am considering a PSA S3611 or a Axiom EP 800v4. My room is 20 x 40 ft opened area. I want to buy PSA V3611 but I think it will over power the room aesthetically. I might be able to sneak two V1811 co-located horizontally...But I think the wife would like the look of the EP800 better and no doubt the PSA 3611 would outperform the EP800. Some of the Axiom recommendations are lackluster. While PSA has fantastic customer service. Tom V. is just just excellent to deal with... Any thoughts would help. Thanks you for your time.

Last edited:

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
You could hire pros or just run the typical room measurements to calibrate the room yourself. The room gain like the reverb will dictate the power. I am intoxicated so bear with me the T60 rating I think tells you where to begin. That way you can tame the room gain and the decay rate, That keeps the energy down in the room from hanging around and making the room boomy. Then there is the reflections and also difraction. Sometimes absorption can be frequency selective, and can change the response. Most absorption a cures in the high frequencies only.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Hello Craig,
I am also using Klipsch LaScala II's as my main speakers with a Klipsch RC-64 II for a center speaker. I am considering a PSA S3611 or a Axiom EP 800v4. My room is 20 x 40 ft opened area. I want to buy PSA V3611 but I think it will over power the room aesthetically. I might be able to sneak two V1811 co-located horizontally...But I think the wife would like the look of the EP800 better and no doubt the PSA 3611 would outperform the EP800. Some of the Axiom recommendations are lackluster. While PSA has fantastic customer service. Tom V. is just just excellent to deal with... Any thoughts would help. Thanks you for your time.

Assuming your ceilings are the typical 8 ft, a 20x40 room is 6,400 ft^3. That is an extremely large space for a subwoofer to fill, something it will try to do regardless of the size of the viewing area or how you have it sectioned off. Even the V3611 won't be able to do it, unless you have duals. Proximity is your friend though; the closer to the sub(s) you can sit the better they will perform, so if you are able to sit relatively close you can get by with less output and extension. Doing so likely won't provide the same impact, but the room won't swallow the bass if you can sit close enough. Whatever you decide to buy be sure to get the largest and most powerful sub you can, especially if HT is your main use.

PPIAMP

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
The room is actually 20x40x12 ft. The good news is that the room is partially section off and divided up. I am using the living room that is "20 x 16" as the A/V room. A Klipsch Lascala II speaker is in each corner on the 20ft wall. It forms a decent triangle for stereo image. I sit 12 ft back from the speaker plane and there is a 3/4th wall that turns into the kitchen 4 feet behind me. So the room is an U shape if you will, with the L/R speakers in the corners of the U.

Last edited:

PPIAMP

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Resized_20180714_101801_2567001.jpeg

PPIAMP

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Hello,
I ordered (two) PSA V1811 today. I am very excited! A special shout out for Tom Vodhanel of PSA. You cannot buy this type of customer service anymore. PSA is highly recommended. Updates to follow.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Jeff are these powered? I looked them up and don't see the information about amplification?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks