What's new

Subwoofer “advanced basics” Questions (1 Viewer)

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
I’ve been trying to learn more about subwoofers, but a lot of subwoofer threads unfortunately get bogged down in what specific sub is the best. Subs seem to be one of the more misunderstood pieces of home theater gear. I want to understand how they work and how they integrate with the rest of my home theater before I think about which one is best for me.

Here are the questions I've come up with:
How does a subwoofer integrate with the rest of my system?
How does it integrate with the other speakers?
How does it interact with the room?
What are the important specifications I should think about with a sub? And how can a room alter these measurements?
What else have I missed?

Now for the hard part:
Please refrain from making any company specific recommendations.
I respectfully ask the sub manufacturers to please not join in the discussion as an added precaution against the "commercialization" of my thread.

Thanks!

Axu R

Agent
Nice welcoming.. :)

I think you just have to try, order some sub and set it up right with a BFD and a mic, RS-meter for example. No one else can tell you _exactly_ how it performs there, maybe hint you in a direction.

1) Location & room
2) Setup (EQing, levels, crossover on amp, FR etc..)
3) THE sub

That's my opinion on primary targets of your mission. But hey, I'm just an amateur with 2 months of exp with my first sub, PB10.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
ROFLMFAO................

I think budget and then size become the main determining factors and then go from there. Placement, crossover settings, room decor(reflective or absorbant) again affect any sub. Smaller the room, higher SPL it can push. Concrete slab affects sound less than a suspended floor(may cause boominess).

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Look up some of Edward JM's reviews here, it explained and shown with measurments quiet good in those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks