What's new

Questions about 5.1 Analog Sound for lossless surround formats (1 Viewer)

oval99

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hi there! It's been years since I've been on here, but you guys never steered me wrong during my initial HT buying and setup, so I thought I'd come on again for your great advice.

Basically, I have some questions about connecting my Oppo BDP-83 player to my Denon AVR-1705 receiver:

-The Oppo has the ability to decode lossless formats like DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD right? This is important because my ten-year-old receiver can't.
-If I hook up my Oppo to my receiver using the 5.1 analog method, will I still be able to listen to the lossy formats on DVD like DD5.1 and DTS?
-I currently don't have a subwoofer, so would I just leave the subwoofer channel unplugged in the 5.1 analog connections?
-Would setting my Denon to the "Direct" sound mode offer the best sound for the 5.1 analog setup?

*Thanks in advance for whatever everyone can provide!

oval99

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
A quick clarifying question: do I still have to plug something into the subwoofer jacks in the Oppo and receiver even though I'll set the subwoofer to "no" on the Oppo b/c I don't have a sub?

Thanks!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
oval99 said:
A quick clarifying question: do I still have to plug something into the subwoofer jacks in the Oppo and receiver even though I'll set the subwoofer to "no" on the Oppo b/c I don't have a sub?

Thanks!
No you do not, just leave them as they are, you set your speaker distances and volume level trims/boosts within the Oppo and there is a menu for this in the player, take a good read of the Oppo manual, it has much info on all this.

If you do ever add a subwoofer you will have to adjust it 10db higher, i used to use the Oppo BD-83 using analog connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks