What's new

Sub with 2 different drivers or 2 subs (1 Viewer)

Francesco Chu

Auditioning
I was thinking about the following. Smaller drivers like 8" are fast while 15" are loud and low. Is it possible to run an 8" and a 15" as a 2 way sub just like a 2 way speaker? Using a Xover to figure out what goes where. Any pros and cons? This is pure speculation of course.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
The implication that size determines speed is false. There are 15" drivers as 'fast' as an 8", they just won't have the same polar (off axis) response since their large surface area will cause beaming at a much lower frequency than the 8".
WRT combining them, this is the same as part of a multi-way speaker, and isn't a good idea unless the sub is going to be centered between the Sats, and the XO point to the sub is kept below the point where path length differences are audible. Typically, this is

Francesco Chu

Auditioning
So I am wasting my time thinking along those lines... Oh well, you learn... or at lease pretend you learn...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks