What's new

Sub suggestions needed for challenging room (1 Viewer)

BrianT

Auditioning
My sub died sometime in the last week or so (seems the amp has expired) and I need some suggestions for a replacement.

I have a very large and very acoustically challenging room. The room is difficult to describe but here are some characteristics that will give you an idea of what I am dealing with. It is a modern great room with a sloped ceiling on one side (with two skylights) up to an approximately 22’ ceiling that flattens out. It is open on two sides (I mean really open and not just a hallway) (1) to a dining room with 10’ tray ceiling (only thing that separates the two are two columns that support an arch into the room and (2) into the breakfast nook and kitchen area (the kitchen shares the same 22’ ceiling). Very modern with columns and arches suspended by columns flaking the room. One wall is all windows and to add more difficulty all the flooring all this space is hardwood. There is a large area rug in front of the HT system. The windows have cellular shades to attempt to tame some of the acoustics and there is some stuffed furniture (but still a very lively room). My equipment includes an Acurus ACT-3 w/ABM, Acurus 125x5 amp, PSB Silveri’s as the mains, PSB Century C100 center (was going to be replaced with a C6i prior to this little problem), and PSB Alpha’s as surrounds. My sub was an older PSB Century 2ii.

Anyway I have to replace the sub. My listening is 50/50 music/HT. I don’t watch the HT selection at reference levels (so absolute SPL is not necessary) but I do like to like to “experience” things somewhat. I am not a huge bass freak. I want a sub that is an all around performer with tight bass (I already have boominess issues just with the room) being more important that absolute volume or maximum extension.

This little incident came as a surprise and as a result coffers are rather empty for this purchase so I know that my budget is not going to allow me to get the “biggest and best” sub for this room, but I want to get the best my money can buy. I have approximately $800 to spend, but would like to spend a little less if possible. DIY is really not something I want to mess with, so that option is out. I would like some options and suggestions? I know there are some here with a lot of experience with various subs and would really like to hear your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks