What's new

Sub Placement Wrong? (1 Viewer)

Savage357

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory R
Can someone tell me if my sub placement is wrong here? I'm no expert, which is why I was hoping to get some advice on whether I should change the placement here.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20200428_134533.jpg
    20200428_134533.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 165

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Low frequencies are non-directional. Sub-woofers can be placed anywhere in the room with identical results just so long and nothing is blocking them.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Best placement requires measurements to know for sure, but subs generally get better extension and output placed in or near a corner, along with some parametric EQ to smooth out any peaks. But that seems to be out of the question in your room, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’d be more concerned about the surround speakers, which appear to be in front of the seats…

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It's almost impossible to say from a picture. Do you have a microphone to take measurements? If not, a MiniDSP UMIK-1 and RoomEQWizard will go a long way.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Agreed that I'm more worried about the surround speaker placement. They should probably be right between the two rows of seats.

Savage357

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory R
I did do the calibration with the microphone supplied with my Denon AVR-X4500H.

I also suspected I have placed the surround speakers a bit too far forward and will do as y'all suggested and move them back a bit behind the first row seating.

If I move the sub back against the wall where the screen is, should I place it in the corner, moving the Left tower towards the center channel speaker or put the sub between the tower and center?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The subwoofers response in your room will be related to the room's shape, and a variety of other acoustic factors. Nobody is qualified to tell you from a picture alone which position will sound best.

I would suggest doing the subwoofer crawl method, as this will get you the best results without measuring equipment

Savage357

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory R
I did use the calibration microphone and an SPL meter, but I feel dumb as I don't really know how to use the SPL meter.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Your room is similar to mine. I had basically only two choices for sub placement so I chose the one less obstructive to traffic in and out of the room. I also have that entry on the left EXACTLY where my surrounds would ideally be placed. This forces me to place them a little further back than is ideal but, as other have noted, all rooms present their own challenges.

On a separate note, have you considered painting that ceiling? A darker color will help with light control. Check out my pics for before and after examples.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I did use the calibration microphone and an SPL meter, but I feel dumb as I don't really know how to use the SPL meter.

You shouldn't. We all started there. A quick Google search and a bit of practice is all it takes and it's a great investment of your time as built-in calibration programs are far from perfect.

Savage357

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory R
Not sure how to view your pics, but my ceiling is a flat dark chocolate and when the lights are off and the projector is on, I don't get any light reflections or glare. If anything I would like to eventually replace the carpet with a darker color!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Not sure how to view your pics, but my ceiling is a flat dark chocolate and when the lights are off and the projector is on, I don't get any light reflections or glare. If anything I would like to eventually replace the carpet with a darker color!

Just click the link. I would like to replace my carpet one of these days too.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What model sub is it? It looks like a dual, opposing side model, maybe from PSA.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I've had varying degrees of success using this tool. If you feed it good info, it can help you identify the best spots to place your sub. Do you have room dimensions you can share?

You can put in your dimensions, and choose a frequency. The 3D model is interactive. Whatever position you choose, you should be using Dirac/Audyssey etc to correct the in-room response once you find a good spot:

1588175014201.png

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Would it be ok to place a subwoofer high, like on top of a 6’ tall entertainment unit?
You might have some serious issues with vibration and noise while it's reproducing bass, but generally speaking subwoofers can be at any height. You do want to be a little bit cautious about having a subwoofer at the midpoint of a wall, as typically there are a lot more room modes to excite there

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Rythmik subs are excellent. I was just saying that it would be unwise to put any sub on a cabinet unless it was extremely solid and well braced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks