stylus for Sony turntable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sathyan, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Does anyone know what replacement stylus is to be used with the Sony PS-LX250 (this is the $100 automatic turntable)?

Needledoctor.com lists a number of styli for Sony http://www.needledoctor.com/showmanu...m=0&manunum=67
    Which would work of these?

I do not have a product manual; The cartridge does not appear upgradeable.

thanks

Sathyan

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Why wouldn't the cartridge be upgradeable? (What kind is installed?)

There should be no reason why you can't either get a replacement stylus for the cartridge or just get another cartridge altogether. Simply select one that's of the correct mass for the Sony's tonearm.

3. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

4. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

** Bump **

Here's the story: I've discovered a local store which has (to the eye) pristine LP's for $0.25 each. I've bought around a hundred so far including Bernstein, Szell, Ormandy, Rampal, Isaac Stern and (in the non-classical realm) Santana.
    Now I don't have a record player. My dad has a Sony automatic table (which is the backup for the backup for his main player) that I'm thinking of requesting but I want to find out some info first. I'm trying to figure out how much it's going to cost to operate this Sony player. My brother (he uses a Project 1.2 with a Grado Gold cart) pays $90 every other month to replace his ground down stylus - that would be too much. Reminds me of Inkjet Printer carts. (But I do have to admit his system sounds awesome for Vinyl; Roksan Kandy Integrated Amp & Mirage OM10 loudspeakers)
    So does anyone have this Sony PS-LX250 and know what stylus it takes? how much it costs? where to get it? (I'm hoping its on that Sony list from NeedleDoctor; they ranged from $20-$30.) And how many hours it will last?

I'm sure the cartridge can't be changed (last time I looked, I saw no way to detach it; and no adjustments like VTA are available)

thanks
    Sathyan