What's new

Vinyl rocks! Where can I buy more? (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I had posted a thread over in the audio/video sources section asking for help on upgrading my turntable.
Well, I couldn't wait, so I've hooked it up to my crappy sony receiver (has phono input) with crappy 4" radio shack speakers in my computer room. I'm using the 20+ year old cartridge/stylus that came with the thing.
And I'll tell you what... I've been sitting here for HOURS just putting on album after album. And even on this crummy setup, I've been enjoying every single minute of it. There's just something about the sound of vinyl that makes it effortless to listen to. It's something I've always known, but it's fun to rediscover it.
I've ordered some parts (new cartridge, phono premap, etc) so I can move the thing to my main system. I simply can't wait.
So, this leads me to the question at hand... is there any good places online to pick up vinyl (new and/or used)? I'm mostly interested in rock/alternative type stuff...
Thanks!
-Steve

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I second GEMM although prices vary wildly.
The best place to buy older rock is by hunting around local Goodwill stores and the like. I've gotta be careful when I do this because I've already got 150 records waiting to be cleaned and listened to.
For the newer stuff, I usually shop at Red Trumpet, Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds and Diverse Vinyl. The new reissue/import stuff is very pricey but well worth it if it's an album you really like and they have a decent selection of newer domestic releases.
-mike...

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Steve...There is a place here in Halifax called Taz that deals with used vinyl from lp's to singles,all used.They have a huge inventory.They might ship to you in the US but I don't know for sure.The prices vary depending on the recording and whether it's rare or imported but one thing is for sure...they will have it and it is all in Canadian $$$$ do you can save via the exchange.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Look in your phone book.

Fin a local shop or two. There's almost nothing more fun than browsing through yards upon yards of used vinyl looking for hidden treasures. Your fingers will remember what it felt like to do it with new vinyl 17 years ago. It is a blast. My local shop, Plan 9, also has a few crates of used laserdiscs!

NP: Peter Gabriel - Up (his best album in 20 years)

George See

Second Unit
Flea Markets.......Although be carefull you don't buy something that's in horrible condition. Every once in awhile you come across that great record that may even be worth A few bucks at A flea market for .25

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
My favorite new thing to do on weekends is go browsing the used record shops. Now when I want older music, forget buying CDs, I've picked up some good LPs lately for cheap and they sound great!

Bill cc

Agent
Record Store definitely..
Also, thrift stores can be good, unless they are popular..
$1 or less a record rocks! I found a LOT of old 80's rap records in one shot at a small thrift store .. the clerk gave me a weird look for buyng about 30 albums at one time :)
BTW.. Plan 9 is an awesome store! Check it out if ever in Richmond. Tons of excellent used vinyl, VHs, and Laserdics.. just wish they'd come down on the used DVD prices.. can't complain though cause I picked up Sid and Nancy (Criterion) from there not too long ago which is impossible to find elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks