Strange question - car audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Oct 3, 2001.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    OK, so we have PL, PL II, etc... what is the processing on Automotive audio gear? I've never heard a definition of what it is. It's not 4ch stereo, because there is a front to rear separation, as well as specific placement of sounds in individual speakers as well as panning capability. It varies with the recording, but there is a distinct "effect" that I notice (Sony Mobile ES). I notice it on one track in particular that has a 360deg pan. Just curious if anyone knows.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Just as sony has digital processing for the home, it also uses the DP for the car which takes the normal acoustics (metal, plastic) of a car auto and redefines them to suit the listener.
    As for the fader etc, it's all just two channel;sometimes it sounds like more but it's becasuse the speakers in cars are so different than the home (you do not buy a tweeter for home use like in auto audio )
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm not talking about fading, I'm talking about distinct, separate rear speaker information. Similar to what one would hear in a 5.1 setup. I'm sure this has to do with the recording because it doesn't happen on all CDs. In particular: Nine Inch Nails' Downward Spiral, Crystal Method's Vegas, and Delerium's Semantic Spaces.
    I guess the core of my question is: is it processed/DSP/matrix or is it reproducing "ambiance / effect" that was mastered on the recording? I hear the same effect with these CDs on my home system when listening in PL/PL II. Nine Inch Nails is quite pronounced for rear sound on both my home system in PL II and my car.
    Thanks Grant. So is it DP for sure?
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on October 03, 2001 at 03:09 PM]