What's new

Straight Outta Lynwood, out today! Go, get yours now! (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm listening to it now. I hate DualDiscs, because I can't listen to the CD on my comp, so I have to use my old CD player (which surprisingly does work).

I'm on track 3 and loving it so far; "White and Nerdy" is hysterical and "Pancreas" brings back memories of an old Happy Days song, "Puh-puh-puh-pumps your blood!"

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I can't blame you...I had to go use someone else's computer to copy all the songs.

Fortunately, Al has said that this will probably be his last DualDisc...I think it was more BMG that wanted to push the format and not Al.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It was fine in my work's computer and my DVD-RW, but not in my regular DVD drive in my computer.

Jason

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This is actually the first Dualdisc I've seen that has enough worthwhile video content on it. And if every disc was labeled like this one, there wouldn't be any complaints about 2-sided discs being hard to read!

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I'll be holding off getting this for a while. I can live without the 5.1 remixes of the songs (I don't have a 5.1 setup and I've been more than satsified with the standard stereo mixes on cds these last 20 some years.) and I have no doubt that I'll eventually be able to find the videos somewhere online. I guess that I'm going to have to buy the cd from Canada, where it comes as a seperate cd with dvd. It doesn't have the 5.1 remixes, but who cares ? By the way. Does anyone know of how to tell that the canadian release is, in fact, a normal cd and dvd 2 pack and not the horrible DualDisc format ?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I do! :cool:
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

This is a brand new album, so the 5.1 tracks are not remixes. I'm sure someone with such a creative personality like Al had surround in mind while coming up with the musical arrangements (and possibly the lyrics?).

Speaking of surround: how ARE the surround mixes? Any special use of all those six separate channels? Because I was really looking forward to hearing a 5.1 mix by Mr. Yankovic. I guess I'll sound a bit cranky here, but it drives me nuts when all people say about a surround mix is that it's "good". But what kind of good? Immersive? Or just "widened" stereo? Directional effects? One word or line of lyrics being whispered from one channel (Bjork & Linkin Park do this for example)? Or just an ambient mix? And you might help save other members some $$$ if a little more detail was provided.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

This is being discussed at the Quadraphonicquad forum but I haven't paid any attention. I like Weird Al but don't believe his music/videos have any repeat listening/viewing potential for me. Some of his parodies are right on the money though. I purchase a lot of DualDiscs though, I can play them fine although the CD side is hit or miss on my DVD players.

Chris

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm a big fan of Weird Al and this is one of his best albums so far. No problems with the DualDisc so far, though. The 5.1 mixes are absolutely fantastic! The backup singing on "Polkarama!" and "Don't Download This Song" comes through the rear speakers with great effect. The instrumental mixes really show off his talent besides funny writing.

"Trapped in the Closet" and "White and Nerdy" have to be his best parodies to date. Weird Al totally nailed down the absurdity of R. Kelly's "urban opera." I never thought an 11 minute parody could be so funny! I'm hoping the second live-action music video he's working on is for this track. The original is ridiculously funny (unintentionally), so it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

It's a shame that the UK distributor has decided to withhold the album from release. Although, I'm fairly sure it's because someone took "Weasel Stomping Day" too seriously.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I saw the video for White And Nerdy on VH1 the other day -- the good news is it was hilarious. :) The bad news is it's the first Al single that parodies a song I've never heard before. I feel old. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks