What's new

Sting's Sacred Love to be Single Inventory Hybrid! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
bet the Denon 2900 is kicking the 999ES's ass in sales?
I have no way of knowing but my local retailers is selling tons of both...what does this have to do with titles on Super Audio?

Remember, I am just making the case that single inventory hybrid is the way to go. It makes a lot of strategic sense. :)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Remember, I am just making the case that single inventory hybrid is the way to go. It makes a lot of strategic sense.
To who? The labels who are paying more to put a disc out as a Hybrid and not realizing increased sales. Right now big SACD releases such as the Stones and those put out by Universal are living off the free money from rich uncle Sony. The gravy train won't last forever...what happens then? Me thinks, its back to good ol' redbook.

J

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, my point is that Sony is consistently making the wrong choices. For many years I have believed that Sony was clueless about how to market products in the U.S.A. SACD has simply reinforced my belief in such.

Lee, they simply do not suppourt their own format. They do not have players on shelfs, in stores, for people to look at or buy. They already know that SACD is a failure. They supply Redbook only players to Circus City & Busted Buy, now, this minute.

In my mind, the only path to inexpensive SACD players is for head units to process the digital output of SACD transports. If the content providers want to block this or insist on nebulous amounts of "copy protection" that runs up costs and the price of players, that's their perogative. They can doom this and all future formats to failure if that's their bidding!

For the average joe, music has to be simple and inexpensive. No matter what the content providers wish, music is not going to be an expensive luxury good. 25 cent, little plastic audio discs are not going to sell well no matter what format in the future at the prices they desire.

There is a price that audio-vidiots like me will pay for audio discs and then there's the price that average people will pay....!

Sony is definitely "..lost in the ozone again..."! Best wishes!:)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Rachael is right; I stopped in a Best Buy store last night and inspected every Sony CD and DVD player in the store (in-stock and on-display). Not one had SACD capability. They also no longer stock the 'Home-Theater-In-A-Box' SACD-capable Sony that they had several months ago.

Is Sony writing off the 'regular consumer' market?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Warner is doing the same thing with DVDAudio. All new formats enjoy big company support. That's a non-issue.
I don't see this as a non issue. Just look at what Universal is doing...re-releasing the same titles on DVD-A as they have already done on SACD. Call it covering all bases, test marketing, or what have you, but it shows me that Universal is not 100% behind SACD. Could the Sony Tree of Money be running dry and Universal wants to avoid paying unnecssary royalties in a slumping market? I dunno, but it is a possibility.

Seeing that up to this point, every Hybrid title Universal has released has not replaced the equivalent redbook release, also tells alot about their support of the format. Hopefully Sting's release will mark a change in their policies, but I somehow doubt this with their commitment to DVD-A as well.

Lets try to be "fair and balanced" and realistic.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Lets try to be "fair and balanced" and realistic.
This is a bit offensive. Just because I believe the momentum is building and there is a possibility that hirez will gain wider acceptance, does not mean I am being unrealistic. No one here can predict the future. So no one knows who will be ultimately right.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
For the average joe, music has to be simple and inexpensive.
I think this is the core of matter, as has been expressed in this thread and in the "high-rez acceptance" thread. The average consumer wants to cruise into their big-box retailer, lay down their twelve dollars, hop in their Camry, tear off the plastic (using their teeth :D ), and slide the new "American Idol" CD into their car's player.

What do you mean this f*&#ing DVD-A won't play in the car?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
From what I have heard, to issue a dvd-audio title you have to pay a royalty to the Dvd Consortium (I think that's the correct name). THEY don't pay you to make a dvd-audio disc. So if a label puts out a dvd-audio, then its they who are biting the financial bullet, believing that the format might have a chance.

I'll bet dvd-audio must be attractive at least financially to labels: for instance, these folks sell a basic dvd-audio authoring software package for just $495 to anybody who wants it. And the professional version is only $2495.

What do you mean this f*&#ing DVD-A won't play in the car?
Well Angelo, in LanceJ's fantasy dvd-audio world :), most people won't care about the stereo track and since they really (ahem) bought it for the MCH tracks and practically no one right now has a 5.1 rig in their car, they'll just wait until they get home to hear it (and then they can use one of their steak knives to get that dang cellophane wrapper off! :angry:).

Though to be perfectly honest, it would be quite nice to have that flipper hybrid (if it ever gets thin enough) for my boombox and car deck.

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks