What's new

Anyone Pick up Sting: Sacred Love today? (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if anyone picked up this disc today and has any thoughts on the music and sonics.

Also, is this disc indeed a single inventory Hybrid SACD? I noticed Circuit City has lisitings for both a regular CD and a Hybrid SACD on their website, so I have avoided ordering either out of confusion. Originally this was supposed to be a single inventory Hybrid disc, but with Hi-res releases there always seem to be changes of some sort going on in the release process.

J

Craig Oberg

Agent
I was under the impression that it was going to be a single inventory
hybrid as well, but it's a dual inventory.

I stopped into Target and picked it up on the way to work, but was shocked
by the lack of the SACD and DSD logos once I got a chance to look at it.

I went to BB at lunch and picked up the Hybrid version, which is
in a digipak.

Craig

Mark Olson

Auditioning
I just picked this up at a Best Buy in Ann Arbor, MI. I almost passed on it because the version they have at the front of the store does not mention SACD at all. I then went to the "Sting" section in the aisles and found 2 different versions - the CD and the hybrid CD/SACD version in a paper digipac.
A couple of warnings:
1) The CD is on sale for $9.99-the SACD hybrid is $15.99!

As Michael_T pointed out, neither version contains a bonus dvd-please excuse my confusion!:b
2) The CD has a bonus dvd-the hybrid has a sticker on the front that it also has the bonus dvd, but mine did not have it.:angry:

-Mark

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The CD is on sale for $9.99-the SACD hybrid is $15.99!
This is not good news, even though I am glad to see "day and date". This price difference should be smaller.

The album is getting some mediocre or poor reviews. I love Sting so I will probably buy it anyway, but I am concerned about the performance quality.

Any reviews people have would be appreciated. :)

Michael_T

Second Unit
The CD has a bonus dvd-the hybrid has a sticker on the front that it also has the bonus dvd, but mine did not have it.
I bought the hybrid SACD also, and was also miffed that I did not receive the bonus DVD. BUT, when I read the sticker on the cover of the SACD closer (which I assume is the same sticker that comes on the CD) it says:

"Companion DVD 'Inside The Songs of Sacred Love' also available separately."

As you can see it clearly states it is AVAILABLE SEPARATELY. I think the confusion is that when you first read it you see - Companion DVD "Inside....." which makes you believe it is included.

I would hazard to guess that the redbook CD doesn't come with a Bonus DVD either.

Oh.. and I listened to the disc at work on my CD walkman and I really like it. I think it is much better than a lot of Sting's later work, even though it is nowhere as good as his earlier albums (Nothing Like the Sun, Soul Cages or Ten Summoner's Tales, etc.).

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Anyone else concerned/hesitant/vexed about UMG possibly announcing a Sacred Love DVD-A in a few months?

Or am I tossing a wet blanket . . .?

-p

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Yeah, I got it and it was OK...except for the nasty little disco remix of SEND YOUR LOVE, yuckatosis! Now I'm listening to the better of the two discs I got 2-day, Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan. It's more my kind of muse...!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that it was going to be a single inventory
I guess the information from this article by Brian Moura at HFR was a bit too optimistic again.

A single inventory disc or a release from an artist of Stings caliber would have done wonders in helping to sell SACD to the middle aged crowd. A day and date release is nice however for the small number of familiar with the SACD format, but a missed opportunity regardless.

Circuit City has the Hybrid online for 13.99 which is not half bad either. I think I am going to pick this one up.

J

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Can someone post the track listings of the (US) CD and SACD?

There are different track listings internationally and I'm not sure which one to get.

Also, I believe the US and International SACDs come in cardboard digipaks. What about the standard US CD?

Thanks in advance.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Darren, the reg-lar octane CD comes in a vin ordinaire jewell case. The type we've all come to know and love, or hate???;) :)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So is this a correct summary of the packaging?
  • CD - Jewel Case
  • SACD - Jewel Case
  • CD/SACD - Digipak

-Dave

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Finally got this SACD from buy.com. The album is okay--nothing great though. I love the techno track, #11, a remix of track #2. The surround mix is pretty good--it isn't overcooked; the rear channel effects are subtle & pretty well done.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I got it about a week or so ago for my wife (big fan). We listened to it for about the 3rd time last night. I have to say it's growing on me. She loves it. The melodies & textures seem to be REAL similar to the last album. That remix of Send Your Love is horrible, and sounds nothing like the rest of the album.

Sonically, it's so-so. The LFE on the techno tracks is very loud. I had to turn down the gain in my player about 1.5 dB. The surround mix is OK, but to me the instruments etc. sound very dry and thin. I felt the same way about PG's UP, but it's obvious PG does so much equalizing and effects on all his instruments & vocals that nothing will sound full & lifelike. I can't say Sting does so much modification.

Doug

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
That remix of Send Your Love is horrible, and sounds nothing like the rest of the album.
I haven't said this for a week or so, so...

I HATE bonus tracks. I'm a firm believer in an album that has a beginning, middle, and end. That's how I write, and how I approach listening. It breaks the mood every time the album ends and then some bonus track comes right after. Does anyone want to hear an alternate take of "Money" after the fade out on DSOTM? No takers? Then leave my Sting alone.

Is there anybody out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks