Sting's Sacred Love to be Single Inventory Hybrid!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    From the good people at HFR:

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Now, how about Dream of the Blue Turtles as a hybrid...

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I don't see why this doesn't become standard practice. It only makes sense.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

It's interesting how Sting's catalog has been treated over the years. We have redbook CDs, a few remastered import-only redbooks, a few dts titles, and a few SACD/hybrids.

I'd settle for his first two studio albums as hybrids.

John: I'm heading to Cary this weekend to visit a friend. Maybe we'll pick up a pie at Cinelli's...

6. DennisK

DennisK Agent

Let's just hope they don't use Crest to produce it. I don't need another cracked Hybrid SACD.

7. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

If true, this is great news. It's exactly what SACD needs--now, if they'll include something that's actually informative about SACD in the package.

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

This is great news. Nice to see a surround mix as well on a new release. I am all for Hybrids when they are not faulty.

J

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    These releases are all rah-rah for those of us with SACD players. What's lacking is "hybrid" players for the masses at Circus City & Busted Buy.

10. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

All too true, Rachael. I've been in three BBs in the past couple of weeks, and the only machine capable playing SACD or DVD-A in any of those stores was the new Pioneer.

Last time I went in a CC, I didn't find a single high-res player--not even in the SACD kiosk.

11. Michael St. Clair

Rachael,

Same here. It is almost impossible to buy an SACD player around here without going into a high-end boutique. Since 99.9% of consumers don't go there, I'm not sure how Sony is going to sell more SACD players.

There were many more SACD players in the mass-merchants a year ago, which makes me wonder what the hell is going on? It's been very dry for the last several months.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

If Crest produces the Sting hybrid without fixing its process, can you imagine the mess that retailers will have on their hands? I don't know what the sales have been like for The Police Every Breath You Take: The Classics single-inventory hybrid (a Crest cracker), but probably not overwhelming given that the album has been out on CD for years. The Sting album, however, is brand new, and the sales of the hybrid disc could be quite good. Now everyone and their mother could be bringing defective discs back to the store. Great.

In principle, a single-inventory hybrid of Sting is excellent news. Hopefully there will be no cracking.

13. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I agree with Keith, cracking issues will be a real nightmare since this disc will end up in more hands than any other SACD release simply because it'll be the only version available.

Crest better get their act together, or there'll be ALOT of upset people and the labels will question hybrid releases.

BTW, there's talk on the Hi-Rez forum that even Roxy Music's "Avalon" is starting to crack... and I don't think that it was pressed at Crest (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I would hold off on all hybrids if it weren't for me already holding off due to high prices.

14. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey all -

please excuse my hi-res ignorance. :b

what exactly is meant by single-inventory hybrid? does that mean they'll produce just one cd - containing both sacd & stereo? i thought all sacd's already had a stereo-only track???

ugh! [​IMG]

16. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

18. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

19. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Considering the woeful state of redbook CD sales nowadays, and considering that in our "free music over the Internet!" culture many folks consider retail CDs overpriced, it seems to me that the least the manufacture can do is add the high-rez layer, and maybe a bonus DVD as well!

Kidding aside, as DVD sales continue to far outstrip CD sales, I think we'll see more and more of the phenomenon of music releases which give the consumer a bit more for the same price. However, I still firmly believe that "music DVDs" (not DVD-A, but DVD-Video of musical content: concerts, videos, etc) will become a more and more significant consumer format, taking advantage of hardware that folks already have and taking advantage of the high consumer profile of the DVD in general.

Just a couple of cents worth of rambling... [​IMG] Off-topic, sorry...

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, what is Sony winning? They lost money last quarter. They're steadily losing market share of DVD players. They foolishly won't add DVD-A capability to their DVD players. They could make a real good uni player but won't. They've peeved off everybody with single-layer discs. I was in Busted Buy today and saw Sony 5-disc CD changers sans SACD ability. They don't suppourt their own bleeding product! There is no longer a Sony ES dealer in this city. They're impossible to deal with according to 2 exdealers I know.

It's a miracle that SACD has gotten this far. I'm truly amazed. SACD II seems rather daff. I have grave doubts that their digital amps are worth mearde????? I ordered an AVD-50ES reciever/DVD-SACD player for my bedroom and I'm sending it back monday. The digital amps sounded utterly metalic, very different, and there was weird distortion on some SACD's. Amp or player???? The DVD's interlaced output was mearde. The remote, again mearde. The one I got had a bad S-video monitor output that was crooked and wouldn't accept a cable. Build quality, mearde again. Putting the ES badge on this turkey is a bad joke. I'm getting something else.....if you hadn't quessed! AVD-50ES = [​IMG]

The new 9000ES player is supposed to have that digital-amp reciever as it's playmate. I certainly hope for Sony's sake that the 9000ES digital reciever sounds nothing like the AVD-50 ES!!! It was very detailed and loud but totally metalic and artifical sounding on stereo SACD's...which is all I could play due to the monitor defect.

I bet the Denon 2900 is kicking the 999ES's ass in sales? Chat sites make it sound that way. Simon sez Sony is a blind, lumbering giant that's "...lost in the supermarket..." Explain this all away lee, yond defender of the faith! [​IMG] Recuredos, la Gata!