What's new

Steve Hoffman: Remastering Genius? (1 Viewer)

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
I keep hearing the name of Steve Hoffman whenever the phrase "great remastering job" comes up.

I hear that Mr. Hoffman remastered Paul McCartney's early solo work. What other CD's has Steve Hoffman's talents graced?

-JNS

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jagan, Steve Hoffman used to be the man behind DCC gold CDs. So he is responsible for remastering many classics. He has formed his own company, as I believe DCC may have bit the dust. Here is a link to his web site:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/
He will be remastering classic works on his new label. The word is that he is working on a Creedence Clearwater Revival Cosmo's Factory SACD.
Mr. Hoffman has set up a few discussion boards on his web site.
NP: Spin Doctors Pocket Full of Kryptonite CD

You should be made aware that DCC HAS NOT folded and has just come out of Chapter 11 receivership. Steve is still officially an employee of the company and is waiting for new owners to pump in some financing to release product that has been "in the pipeline" for the past couple years. The other company referred to in the previous post is S & P Records, a new label started by Bill Straw and DCC Marketing Director Sam Passamano. Steve will be working for this company as well, and has already released a Johnny Cash gospel music 2-for-1 reissue on S & P!:D

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Cool...I like the fact that he uses Legacy Audio Focus speakers in his mastering room. My buddy has a pair of those. Those speakers are amazing.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Search for "Who's Next" on this forum to see a thread about the budget Canadian release of The Who's classic album, as mastered by Steve Hoffman. I bought it after reading the thread and it is amazing.

NP: Third World: The Story's Been Told

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I have a questioned regarding remastering vs. remixing.

What tools are available to someone doing a remastering? It was my understanding (perhaps incorrect) that the engineer was not allowed to "sweeten" the sound of the original mix. Is that true? Can he use equalization, noise suppression, dynamic compression/expansion, etc.?

In other words, has remastering really become the same thing as remixing? I always thought the purpose of remastering was to make a particular recording sound best for the given playback formate (LP, tape, CD, etc.) without altering the sonic "balance."

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Steve Hoffman is an excellent engineer. I love his remasterings of classic roock titles.
Another name that is highly respected among audiphiles is Joe Harley who does a lot of Audioquest work.
Check him out also if you have a chance.
:)
Lee

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Search for "Who's Next" on this forum to see a thread about the budget Canadian release of The Who's classic album, as mastered by Steve Hoffman. I bought it after reading the thread and it is amazing.
Where can we get this title?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks