What's new

Hulu Only Murders in the Building (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez star as three true crime obsessives who start a podcast about their investigation into the suspicious death of a man who lives in their building.

It's an interesting mix of notables behind the scenes; Steve Martin created the show and wrote the pilot with "Grace and Frankie" writer John Hoffman as a vehicle for him and Martin Short. Selena Gomez joined several months later and also serves as an executive producer. "This Is Us" creator Dan Fogelman is also along for the ride. The producing director is Jamie Babbit, the filmmaker behind But I'm a Cheerleader.

Steve Martin plays Charles-Haden Savage, who played the titular police detective in an early nineties CBS cop procedural and has lived economically but comfortably on the residuals ever since. Martin Short plays Oliver Putnam, the flamboyant Broadway director who has become unemployable after a notorious flop several years earlier. Selena Gomez plays Mabel, a young artist with deeper connections to the building and the murder victim than she is willing to share with the others. All three are deeply weird individuals in very different ways.

The show is a satire of condo life in New York City and the current fad of true crime podcasts, but it also takes the time to make its mystery twisty and turny and pulpy in ways that are genuinely engaging.

The rest of the building is populated with an incredibly deep bench of character actors, a few you'll know by name and the rest you'll probably recognize from all of the small roles they've popped up in over the years.

The first three episodes of the 10-episode season are available on Hulu now; based on those, I'll be sticking with it in the weeks to come.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We watched the first three.

It’s very good.
The mystery of the murder and the cast of characters will keep you engaged.

If you’re looking for funny it’s funny but it’s not laugh out loud funny.
The funny is more about the quirks we see with all the people in the building.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This looks pretty good. I've seen a couple of promos, but I'm not willing to subscribe to Hulu again to see it. Hopefully it airs somewhere on cable at some point in the future, or is released on disc.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I watched the first episode last night and adored it. Loved living in that quirky corner of the world with these characters for a short time. I also ADORE Steve Martin, so I was always going to watch, but the quality of the episode meant I needed to pause and wait for my wife to join me for the fun.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I also ADORE Steve Martin, so I was always going to watch

Same - hope to check it out this week.

I had never considered myself a bluegrass fan but I got into Steve Martin’s banjo playing just after my twins were born and from the teeniest tiny age it was instantly as soothing to them as much as it was for me. The Steinberg household will forever be grateful to Mr. Martin for that!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched the first two episodes last night after finding this thread. I really enjoyed them both. It's what I would call comfort-food TV, but I don't mean that as an insult. I really like all three of the leads in their roles too.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Interestingly, Selena is an attractive person. But in this particular work it's her voice that is intoxicating. Somehow both husky like Kathleen Turner when bored, yet with that adorable occasional squeak of Bernadette Peters when startled.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Another good episode tonight. The whole Sting thing was a fun diversion, and now the two guys are caught up with the audience when it comes to Mabel's past.

Interestingly, Selena is an attractive person. But in this particular work it's her voice that is intoxicating. Somehow both husky like Kathleen Turner when bored, yet with that adorable occasional squeak of Bernadette Peters when startled.
For a former Disney starlet, she's carved out an interesting career for herself as an adult. She's good at dry humor, which is also Steve Martin's sweet spot.

I am glad that they're not trying to pair her off romantically with either of the guys, though; Steve Martin is only enough to be her grandfather, and Martin Short isn't a whole lot younger. Amy Ryan's character is younger than Steven Martin's, but not outrageously so. And she adds another element into the mix.

I appreciated that the loss that devastated Charles-Haden Savage wasn't his ex, but rather his ex's daughter. He liked being a stepdad, and misses it.

Also enjoying the ominous flash forwards, which will no doubt lay the groundwork for a second season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Today's episode was my favorite yet. The weird quirky characters and odd left fielders are just really piling up now.

For some reason, my favorite gag of the episode was that Steve Martin's character is on Mabel's phone as "Charles (old)".

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am delighted with this show - glad it exists. Each episode has at least one thing that stops me in my tracks and gets me doubled over in laughter, and then a ton of other things to smile at.

The “sister in Patchague” speech in the car, had to immediately rewind that and laugh again.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We have had a great deal of trouble accessing this program. This was not the case with the Marvel and Star Wars shows we watched. According to Disney, this show must have "X" level sex and violence, because I had to go on line and up the parental controls twice, first to R+ then MA+. This entailed getting all set to watch and finding it would not play, then hurriedly looking up how to change the railings on the internet etc. By the way, we are two decrepit 65+ers with no grand children. Maybe I'm corrupt but I can't see why this is so adult.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Really enjoying this show - the characters, the humour, the mystery, the atmosphere. Very well done.

With the announcement above of a 2nd season... what does it mean for our 3 protagonists?

Do they survive? Obviously the chances of survival of the main "detective" characters in a murder mystery are high, but there was some mystery surrounding Selena's involvement with the victim which could have led to some unexpected plot directions. It still might, and it's not a foregone conclusion that all 3 are on the side of good... but perhaps they could have waited until all episodes had dropped before announcing season 2?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
With the announcement above of a 2nd season... what does it mean for our 3 protagonists?
The season opened with the FBI flooding into the building and Mabel standing over a body covered in blood, so my guess is that the season will end with Mabel framed for murder and Charles and Oliver trying to prove her innocence.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
My wife loves all of the BBC-type murder shows (typically they're all period pieces) so when I saw the title of this series, and some promo art (probably from the opening credits) I figured this would be right up her alley. And then I watched the trailer and while not the same as those period BBC series, this looked good, and felt like a show the two of us could watch together (I don't generally watch a lot of TV, more than some, but definitely less than others.)

What's surprising me the most about this show is just how much I'm enjoying it. I'm not a fan of true crime podcasts (something about them feels dirty to me - strangers are profiting off of someone's death is what I'm hung up on the most) nor do I particilarly care for Martin Short and haven't seen anything good from Steve Martin in a century or so (maybe just this century) and I don't know much about Selena Gomez. But this show is fun. Trying to get a co-worker to watch it (he says he keeps forgetting about it.)

Hulu has been doing some great things lately for me - Reservation Dogs, this, and even Y the Last Man (which is a slow burn.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They've done a really good job pacing out the revelations, both in terms of the mystery and in terms of these three characters personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks