What's new
World Wide Stereo

Steel Studs (1 Viewer)

Sankar

Second Unit
Wouldn't you need to get the stale air out before you can bring in the fresh air? How is that being done?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

marc_manny

Stunt Coordinator
I would think this would just pressurize your house? If you have an intake you need and exhaust, right?

Marc

Colin Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
I feel like we are hijacking this thread away from Ramon, but Dan you sure have me curious about your roof construction and ventilation.

Is it a typical gable or hip roof? I read on one of your earlier post that you had " the whole house foamed, even the roof. Most homes have alot of heat "build up" in the attic area due to the sun, and with no way for the heat to escape, it would cause damage to shingles, moisture problems, ect.... See why we are curious?

"Spray on" insulation is somewhat common with commercial construction, malls, hospitals ect. but these buildings normally have flat roofs. What gives?

Colin

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator
Colin,

Jack away...besides I've come into a slight problem. A leaky heating pipe. Gotta get that fixed first.

Ramon

Dan C

Agent
Alright here it goes ..... When I started collecting bids and such my brother-in-law, was to do the HVAC. WELL --- can you guess what happened? Yup, but he still was to due the work because he is great at what he does. Fresh air was planned all the time but as I ststed earlier I wanted to get in my home (2 1/2 years at inlaws!!!! I forgot all about it for a while until we got sick and stayed sick until I opened a window for a while. That is when I cut the holes for the vents and he tied them in. As for the roof being compleatly sealed, it is. I purchased a large whole house fan (did not install but wired for it), 2 powered roof fans (or attic fans if you want), ridge vent, ect. That is when my insulator showed me some research on sealing thr roof compleatly {http://www.dotcomdreamhome.com/consumer/heating.cfm}(http://www.ncfi.com/Insulation/JLC_SPF_Artcle.pdf). All vents and fans were covered with fiberglass batts incase I did not like the system. So far so good. The attic is warmer than the rest of the house but since no air gets in or out (yes I know some does, it is inevitable), the pressure stays constant. No moisture in there at all, but I also used 15lb paper, and alot of ice and water. I used to be a roofer (commercial during the week and resididental nights and weekends) so material came cheap, as did labor. I did not make it out to get new zip drive but I will try tomorrow so I can post some pics. The reason I wanted to use this type of insulation was: Was going to buy into company (steel home production) so had to build a steel house to see the ups and downs, I figured batts would fall down, same as blown in (settle even with glue) and I really wanted to save on heat ans a/c. It also does alright as a sound proofer. NO it is not great but our room is quiet, when people are over.

Dan C

Agent
Ok guys I just put some (5) on your gallery (DanC23). I can't find the pictures of the beginning of construction, they must be film pic's. I don't want to fill up the gallery so I will take some of the house and what it looks like today, my home theater construction (not moving very fast now because of other prioreties, my daughter is in everything at 4 years old (actually her b-day is 0n the 7th of this month), maybe scan some early construction pic's, inside the attic, and if you have any requests just ask. I used to have a web site so maybe I can update it (if I remember the address and password) or start a new one. The trask going across the studs is hat track not rc-1, I will be using that in the theater. I dont know how many pics I can post so I don't want to take all the room. Send me a pm and I can email you some of what you are interested in. The concrete is 12in thick because I made the basement clear span. I have one pole in the basement (will be in the wall of HT) and I wish I would of paid the extra $ to get rid of it. Same square footage upstairs as in the basement. Looks small and like a two story but square footage is on the big side, and is a four step ranch. basement is two levels with a look out (wish I could of had walkout, but not quite enough elevation without having to put in a drain). The reason it looks tall is because of the cathedral ceilings in our room, living, family, and sunroom. Our ceiling is about 23ft tall. I want to use some of the attic space to put in lofts for our bedroom (over the other bedrooms) and over the garage looking into the family room, but I have to have to get a structural engineer out to take a look at it and then give him the plans and cut sheets to make sure I can do it without a huge expense. First I want to finish the HT, and maybe put 2 story shed and changing room with shower and toilet by pool so people quit messing up my house when they swim.

Colin Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
Dan C

Thanks for the construction progress pics. Very nice looking home! Please post some more when you get a chance. It looks like your really busy right now.

"Quote"
First I want to finish the HT, "snip"

Glad to see you have your priorities in order!:D

Colin

Dan C

Agent
Well we all have our priorities! I am waiting for my friend to get back to work, like having a baby is a reason to take some time off, so he can get me my drywall and accoustic board. He owns the company so were are talking discount. I have the screen (Stewart 123"), the rack sides for framing (Mid-Atlantic), got the speakers ordered and sitting in the warehouse (Klipsch THX Ultra2 7.1), ordered the seats but having trouble matching fabric of drapes (going to California to iron out problem next week). The seats are in leather with a logo on everyone of them, bass boosters, 2 custom made armrests in first and second rows that hide 7" monitors w/tuners (flip out), phone, cat5, power outlets, and component jacks. Plus the 2 seats on the side of armrest (14 total)(mine and my wife's) have Shiatsu massage system. In the process of building 4 lighted movie poster frames with ballasts for dimming. My mother is making the drapes and roman shades for the theater (motorized-Lutron). I still have to order star light ceiling kits and black drop ceiling supplies but I hope I start to see progress. Main reason of the slow down is that I started the rest of the basement framing as well. That led to bathroom planning thoughts of a 6 foot barrell spa, ect. I will take pics when progress is visable. Any thoughts on what projector to buy? I really can't decide and everyone has there favorites but for now I am stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks