What's new

Star Wars the TV show?.... (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Yes and that's the reason I dont want to see a TV series. If Lucas hands it over to someone who has better storytelling abilities than I would give it a try. How about Lawrence Kasdan who wrote the originals?

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator

You would have to hope that a TV show would force more character development rather than a CGI showcase. I think that is the biggest plus to TV compared with a movie.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I think that would be the most interesting and accessible time period to set the TV show in. It should also cover both sides of the conflict. Remember the "Clerks" joke about all the workers on the Death Star? I think that could be an interesting storyline, have some part of it be set on the construction of the death star, and some parts set on the planet of Alderaan (which we all know how that planet meets its fate).

Some parts of the show will always have to be a "connect the dots" thing with the movies, but there should be enough material that those points will be more fringe details than central parts of the storylines. I would also assume that almost all characters would be new to the SW universe, otherwise it would just bring too much baggage.

/Mike

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Like jump around the SWs universe? A different lead each week. Would that be cost effective? I think I would like to see the Jedi on the run on different worlds maybe a Vader saber duel once in a while.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Agreed. Now that I'm starting to think about it, I'm really getting excited.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As long as they stay away from established characters; otherwise we'll have "Smallville" syndrome in which the overarching can't evolve beyond Episode IV. With new characters, you have a clean slate against a background that can evolve plenty.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
If the time period is between III and IV they could have the droids in it quite a bit. I mean, they must have been doing something on the Tantive for 20 years besides walking around the halls, right? And I'm sure Daniels would love to do it.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I agree about not including established characters. Really, who are you going to get to do "new" voices for Yoda or Darth? Just stay away from it all.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Why do you assume they'd need a "new" voice for Darth Vader? It's not like James Earl Jones has never done television before...and this would be voice-over acting, which is a lot easier to schedule.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
If it's Lucas or Kasdan working on it, fine. If Lucas can get some top-notch novelists and writers working on it, such as Kevin J. Anderson, Timothy Zahn, Keith R.A. DeCandido, the Reeves-Stevenses, Greg Keyes, Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, David Mack, Kevin Ryan, Diane Duane, James Luceno, or Matthew Stover, to name several, it would make a potential SW series really well-written and well-told, the same way that the original Star Trek back in the 60's used the then-top caliber of SF writers and novelists. Smith, on the other hand, would absolutely ruin it and turn it into the butt of an unfunny joke.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I was wondering who might be directing the live action TV Episodes. I bet there will be a quite few famous directors begging for a shot to direct a Star Wars Episode or two. Q.Tarentino was a is a big fan of CSI so they had him direct an Episode. There are tons of Directors out there that have admitted they were Star Wars fans, from James Cameron to even Steven Spielberg. Do you think Lucas will let other famous Directors loose on the TV show? Any thoughts on how cool this could be?

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
I could see that. No way there will only be 1 director for 100 episodes. Question is, would the BIG directors be allowed to direct. These aren't movies, but the reason Spielberg didn't direct any of the movies is because he's in the DGA, which of course we all know Lucas is not a part of. So the guild might not let the really good ones direct.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
"These aren't movies, but the reason Spielberg didn't direct any of the movies is because he's in the DGA, which of course we all know Lucas is not a part of."

Oh, but Spielberg DID direct on Ep. III (the bulk of the last part of the film, especially, according to some). However, he "assisted" with no credit. Lucas assisted in directing parts of Jurassic Park when Spielberg jumped over to Europe for the beginning of Schindler's List's principal photography. This is not unheard of in the directing world, and in this case even less shocking because they're buddies.

Lucas even admitted as such in an interview. He said Spielberg was "whining" to him that he didn't have anything to do before he started on War of the Worlds (or maybe they wrapped WofW way before its release date).

Anyway, the big reason Ep. III was waaay better (still not as good as Empire) than the other two was because Lucas called in the help he needed... finally!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That seems pretty insulting and quite inaccurate. Ep3 shot well over a year prior to WOTW; Spielberg did some pre-vis work for Episode III but that was the extent of it. Between this rumor and the Stoppard rumor, it seems people are simply unable to give Lucas credit for a generally well-regarded film.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
All Spielberg did was tweek some small section of the light saber duel. Now we have people thinking he directed the thing! :eek:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That's the kind of thing I was complaining about in one of the other threads. ;)

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
According to Lucas himself, Spielberg "directed" an animatics scene. Not quite the same as a half hour or hour show. I assume this will be an hour long. Anyway, that was my point, whatever it was Spielberg directed for Lucas, he had to stay uncredited for it.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the DGA thing will be a concern for the TV show. Wasn't the reason the only non-DGA directors can do Star Wars was because of their unconventional credits? That shouldn't apply to a TV show. A check of the directors who worked on the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles shows plenty of DGA members directed episodes.

My primary concern for the Star Wars televion show is Lucas seems intent to film it in Sydney. I have to question how many of the more reputable names in current TV sci-fi would be willing to relocate there for directing, producing, etc. That's a helluva commute when they want to head back to LA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks