What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Of course, some of these clickbait article-writers frequently tend to overlook certain facts from time to time, in this case the fact that the concept of measuring the Force goes back decades -- the 1976 ANH novelization makes mention of the "Jedi scientists" who attempted to measure the Force via physical means. As a concept, it's not something George Lucas just pulled out of the thin blue sky one day when sitting down to write the prequels.

The Force is still the universal energy-field described by Alec Guinness in the original film, with the midichlorians simply being a genetic/hematological predisposition towards sensitivity to it that certain people possess. Everyone can touch the Force to some extent or other, but people who produce midichlorians can do it better than others.

In Return of the Jedi, Luke actually says, "The Force is strong in my family" -- which implies a hereditary genetic carrier-trend, something in the DNA that is measurable and traceable in real-world scientific terms. I've personally never had any trouble reconciling them myself, and this author engages in ignorant editorializing during this piece to score some lazy, cheap points against Lucas.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I really liked her in Dark Skies as well. She's a solid choice for whatever they have up their sleeves.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
From the article Doug posted:

Variety said:
Abrams and Lucasfilm execs met with several actresses for the role in the past two months and settled on Russell right before the Fourth of July holiday. Abrams will likely cast two more actors by the time the film begins production at the end of the month. Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Adam Driver are all expected to return.

Given recent events, it's interesting to note that it doesn't say if Kelly Marie Tran is returning. Given the way The Last Jedi ended, I think there's more story to be told with her character and I would expect she's back -- I hope she is, since I really liked her in The Last Jedi -- but given everything that happened recently with the Twitter trolls and personal attacks against her, it wouldn't surprise me if she chose to step away. The problem is that if she's not in it, the trolls will take that as a moral victory which they don't deserve to have, and I hope they don't get that satisfaction. But she would have to want to return. She seemed really thrilled at the premiere and doing press for it, but that was before all of this Twitter BS.

We'll see.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Episode IX is supposed to start shooting at the end of this month. If past practice is any indication, the press release announcing the start of principal photography will confirm the returning cast and announce the three or four main new cast members, along with the technical credits (cinematographer, editor, production designer, hair/makeup designer, costume designer, casting director, creature/droid supervisor, prop master, special effects supervisor, stunt coordinator, visual effects supervisor).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've already seen articles today by people who are hoping Keri is playing Rey's mother. :eek:

I really, really hope Abrams just lets The Last Jedi stand and moves forward without devoting any of the precious little time we have left with these characters to retconning it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've already seen articles today by people who are hoping Keri is playing Rey's mother. :eek:
To steal a joke that I just saw on Twitter, the only alternative Rey's mom theory I want to hear is that her mother is actually BB-9E.

DhdAMIiUEAArOSK.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Hollywood Reporter says they've confirmed that Billy Dee Williams is returning as Lando for Episode IX:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...iams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

As fans, we'll all be glad to see Lando back, but I wonder how they're going to bring him into contact with the new generation of characters. Han, Leia and to a lesser extent Luke were his connections, and he doesn't really have a preexisting relationship with the character who are currently alive. It's easy to assume that, given his friendship with Han and Leia, he probably met child Ben Solo at some point, but that doesn't mean he has a current connection to his friend's son/murderer. So how they bring him back into the narrative will be interesting to see, since it would have been more natural to bring him in through one of the other original characters, who can't do that now since they're dead. I suppose C-3PO and R2-D2 would remember him, but it seems like a stretch for them to suggest reaching out to him or for him to contact two droids.

The easiest thing would probably be if he comes to Leia's funeral, but the Resistance doesn't really seem to be in a position to have one right now, and if they id it would probably be a siting duck target for the First Order to attack.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Hollywood Reporter says they've confirmed that Billy Dee Williams is returning as Lando for Episode IX:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...iams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

As fans, we'll all be glad to see Lando back, but I wonder how they're going to bring him into contact with the new generation of characters. Han, Leia and to a lesser extent Luke were his connections, and he doesn't really have a preexisting relationship with the character who are currently alive. It's easy to assume that, given his friendship with Han and Leia, he probably met child Ben Solo at some point...
Yeah, Lando at least knew Ben as a child as per a novel.

My guess is that Lando will have a small but cool part where he's piloting a ship and saves one of the hero characters.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah, Lando at least knew Ben as a child as per a novel.

My guess is that Lando will have a small but cool part where he's piloting a ship and saves one of the hero characters.
I hope his part is better than that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I forgot in a brain freeze moment that Chewie is still around who knows Lando, so perhaps he will be key to bringing him back into the fold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks