What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
One thing I like about Rose is that she's just a regular joe and she manages to help. Rey has the Force and Finn & Poe are soldiers but she's 'only' a mechanic and a pilot of no apparent great note and she still helps turn the tide for the good guys.

She would have fine if she wasn’t so damn cloying.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Star Wars episode 9 cast announced

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-wars-episode-9-cast-announced/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0b&linkId=54832375

It's official, Billy Dee Williams will be back as Lando Calrissian in the final installment of the Skywalker saga. He'll be joined by veterans Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels.

Newly announced members include: Naomi Ackie (Lady Macbeth, The Five) and Richard E. Grant (Logan, Downton Abbey) in as-yet unnamed roles.

Writer director J.J. Abrams said of including Leia once again: "Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie's legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII."

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is the official announcement on StarWars.com: https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced. Also, notice production begins next Wednesday.

I'm delighted they've found a way to bring Carrie back.

Also glad to see Kelly Marie Tran officially confirmed as being back.

Notice that Kerri Russell is not listed in the announcement at all.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Deadline says Kerri Russell is in the movie after all even though she wasn't in the news release earlier today: https://deadline.com/2018/07/keri-russell-star-wars-episode-ix-deal-made-cast-1202435383/
She's listed in the StarWars.com announcement too. Or, at least, she is now.

Is there a man more suited to playing a sneering space-fascist than Richard E. Grant? Gotta be top 5, at least.
Yeah, unless they're casting against type, he's gotta be playing some kind of First Order dickhead.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Deadline says Kerri Russell is in the movie after all even though she wasn't in the news release earlier today: https://deadline.com/2018/07/keri-russell-star-wars-episode-ix-deal-made-cast-1202435383/
She is listed on the version posted on StarWars.com now. There must have been some hiccup closing her deal that didn't get resolved until later in the day.

Happiest news for me: Mark Hamill back as Luke Skywalker. I understand why Johnson decided to kill him off, but I felt like there was more story there.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
She's listed in the StarWars.com announcement too. Or, at least, she is now.

Yeah, unless they're casting against type, he's gotta be playing some kind of First Order dickhead.
If I were to place bets, yeah, I'd imagine both Russell and Grant are both First Order officers. They're in that group of actors whom you could just pour into Imperial uniforms (Lucasfilm should be booking Peter Capaldi, Lance Reddick, and Michael Emerson for future movies).

Rumor is that they are turning to George Lucas for help with the script. I'm in favor of that.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-rumors-george-lucas-rey-new-look-luke-lightsaber/
Seriously, this would be great. For whatever flak he gets as a dialogue-writer, the guy can break a story to near-perfection -- the guy's instincts are still pretty first-rate on that front, along with his worldbuilding talents.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
All great news to me! I figured Luke would force-ghost his way back into Episode IX, nice to have confirmation he'll be back, though I suppose it could be flashback scenes as well. I should probably start avoiding certain threads and news articles at this point. I want to avoid anything and everything to do with the movie from here on out.

When I read Richard E. Grant I thought it was talking about the guy from Rocky V, lol. Turns out it's a different guy. I concur that Michael Emerson should be in a SW movie!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The huge time jump shouldn't be correct anymore since they are using Leia.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The huge time jump shouldn't be correct anymore since they are using Leia.

I don't think that will be a problem. The character is old enough already that if they set it a few years after The Last Jedi, she wouldn't suddenly look completely different. I think they can pull it off if they wanted to do a time jump.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I believe any unused footage of Carrie Fisher from The Force Awakens would be of her in the base on D'Qar so they're going to have to take that and digitally paste her head on a stand-in's body in a new set/scene. If they aren't doing that or a flashback, how would they do anything with existing footage of her that could fit into Episode IX's narrative?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have no idea how they will handle Carrie Fisher's appearance, but I am glad they are doing it. I'm not the biggest fan of JJ Abrams, but I do have confidence that he will handle it with respect.

Yesterday's announcement makes me optimistic for Episode IX.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I do worry how they are going to use footage shot with a different script and story in mind yet still make it feel natural for IX. I really hope IX’s script isn’t being based around unused Fisher footage. That just wouldn’t seem like the best starting point for a new story.

I find the praise for Lucas’s involvement funny when the last 4 major movies he has had a hand in the story/writing are constantly made fun of for there stories and writing. IMO, the PT scripts and stories are the worst part of the whole thing, his involvement worries me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I doubt he will be involved in any significant way.
Plus, it's also worth noting that this is a sourceless rumor. Maybe Kennedy and Abrams had a friendly lunch with Lucas a couple weeks ago and they shot the shit about the movie a little but more than that? I remain skeptical.

If I sent an e-mail to a bunch of movie sites on a slow day saying "I work at Disney and I heard that Lucas is going to ghost write and direct Episode IX for Abrams", at least a couple would go with it and in a day, the IMDB would have him listed as co-director.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks