What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought Donald Glover was the best part of Solo, but I'm sure even he will be delighted to see Williams in the role again.

I also jut thought that I kept expecting Maz to show up in Solo because she supposedly knows him from back when, even though we didn't see her until this trilogy. I bet it's safe to assume she knows Lando, too, and she is very much connected to Rey and Finn and Poe, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them use her as the connection, either.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All the main heroes of the original trilogy have died. Isn't it too late to bring secondary characters? Didn't they want to pass Star Wars to the new generation? When are they going to pass the trilogy to new characters, the trilogy is almost over. After all, they have not yet made a new trilogy. It's about the old characters.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My guess is that they're bringing in Billy Dee Williams to fill the Carrie Fisher-sized hole in the movie.
So they are still depending on the original trilogy characters. Why do they have to fill anything? Ultimately this trilogy is still all about the old characters. TFA was about Leia and Han and their son. The second one about Luke and Leia. The new characters are secondary.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So they are still depending on the original trilogy characters. Why do they have to fill anything? Ultimately this trilogy is still all about the old characters. TFA was about Leia and Han and their son. The second one about Luke and Leia. The new characters are secondary.
In TFA, nearly all of Han's story is tied to Rey or Kylo Ren. In TLJ, Luke's story is tied entirely to Rey & Kylo Ren and alot of Leia's story is as well. Since she was running the Resistance, Leia was the one character that had a few things to do that were unrelated to the sequel trilogy characters but since Carrie Fisher isn't in Episode IX, that's gone too. And I highly doubt that Lando is going to be getting a part on the size that Luke, Leia or Han had.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I agree. I don't think Lando would "fill" whatever roll Leia was going to have in IX, but I also don't think it would be hard to bring him in.

Who says he hasn't been somehow evolved in the resistance all along. Just somewhere else, and something causes him to meet this group of what's left of this resistance. In TLJ, Leia made the call to their friends that was ignored. Well, maybe not everyone ignored it, but just wasn't able to respond in time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Who says he hasn't been somehow evolved in the resistance all along. Just somewhere else, and something causes him to meet this group of what's left of this resistance. In TLJ, Leia made the call to their friends that was ignored. Well, maybe not everyone ignored it, but just wasn't able to respond in time.
It's also worth noting that the amount of screen time that we've seen the Resistance is only a few days. It would be easy to retcon him in as a long time supporter (if not a long time member) that was doing something else during that small window of time.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
From the article Doug posted:

Given recent events, it's interesting to note that it doesn't say if Kelly Marie Tran is returning. Given the way The Last Jedi ended, I think there's more story to be told with her character and I would expect she's back -- I hope she is, since I really liked her in The Last Jedi -- but given everything that happened recently with the Twitter trolls and personal attacks against her, it wouldn't surprise me if she chose to step away. The problem is that if she's not in it, the trolls will take that as a moral victory which they don't deserve to have, and I hope they don't get that satisfaction. But she would have to want to return. She seemed really thrilled at the premiere and doing press for it, but that was before all of this Twitter BS.

We'll see.

The trolling of KMT was wrong, but I wouldn't be displeased if she didn't come back or had a very reduced role in IX but I get the feeling that the writers love Rose.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I really wish Rian Johnson were to do the final act of this trilogy.

He restored my faith in Star Wars, after JJ's 'The Force Awakens' nearly killed it for me.

I haven't decided if I'm going to watch this or not, I guess time will tell.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's also worth noting that the amount of screen time that we've seen the Resistance is only a few days. It would be easy to retcon him in as a long time supporter (if not a long time member) that was doing something else during that small window of time.
My guess is that he's the one gathering the Resistance's allies scattered in the Outer Rim.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I really wish Rian Johnson were to do the final act of this trilogy.

He restored my faith in Star Wars, after JJ's 'The Force Awakens' nearly killed it for me.

I haven't decided if I'm going to watch this or not, I guess time will tell.

That's a funny statement. My faith in Star Wars was restored after the prequel trilogy, but was completely shattered by Rian Johnson's TLJ that I won't waste my time with the Star Wars universe going forward. I am predicting that Episode IX will be the worst performer of the sagas.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That's a funny statement. My faith in Star Wars was restored after the prequel trilogy, but was completely shattered by Rian Johnson's TLJ that I won't waste my time with the Star Wars universe going forward.

I hear that from a lot of people. You're not alone.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's a funny statement. My faith in Star Wars was restored after the prequel trilogy, but was completely shattered by Rian Johnson's TLJ that I won't waste my time with the Star Wars universe going forward. I am predicting that Episode IX will be the worst performer of the sagas.
No chance. There will be more than a year and half between SW movies and Episode IX will be heavily marketed as the end of the trilogy so the general public will be ready for Star Wars and it'll do great.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Well, my faith was never shattered.
Not by the mediocre PT, not by the "remake" of ANH (Ep.VII) nor by the last installment.
Although with all these film I have some issues, over all I was always pretty good entertained. Not as good as by the OT but good enough.

Maybe I'm not taking it seriously enough. :lol:

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

I just realized I misspoke in my previous post. What I meant to say was that, "My faith in Star Wars was restored after the prequel trilogy with The Force Awakens, ..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks