What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (2 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Enjoy, everyone! I'm not going until the morning, so I will check in around noon tomorrow!

I continue to hope for the best. If decades of reading reviews has taught me anything, it's that reviews don't matter. Your personal experience with the movie does.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Star Wars theatrical films, ranked by their Rotten Tomatoes Scores:

1. The Empire Strikes Back 94%
2. (tie) Star Wars 93%
The Force Awakens 93%
4. The Last Jedi 91%
5. Rogue One 83%
6. Return Of The Jedi 82%
7. Revenge Of The Sith 80%
8. Solo 70%
9. Attack Of The Clones 65%
10. The Rise Of Skywalker 58%
11. The Phantom Menace 53%
Apparently this one won’t be a darling for the critics. I guess Rotten Tomatoes has also changed the way the audience score will be calculated. Only those with verified ticket purchases will be counted in the score? And as of yet there are only unverified ratings, and hence no audience score.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Can anyone who has seen it give me an approximation of how long the film is with an average allotment of trailers and commercials? Trying to figure out how long I will be in the theatre tomorrow with a posted start time of 12:45pm.

thanks in advance!

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Can anyone who has seen it give me an approximation of how long the film is with an average allotment of trailers and commercials? Trying to figure out how long I will be in the theatre tomorrow with a posted start time of 12:45pm.

thanks in advance!

I just saw it. At my theater we get about 20 minutes of trailers and the like. The movie has a stated run time of 2:22 minutes but it actually is about 2:12 before the credits roll, and there are no credit scenes, etc.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw TROS in IMAX 3D this evening. I was very pleasantly surprised. I honestly don't know what film the reviewers saw. Convoluted? Nope, easy to follow, and I am a casual Star Wars fan not a deep fan. Boring? IMO, the film starts with an action-bang and never lets up, is never boring and yet there is plenty of character interaction as well.

The closest comparison is Endgame. Like that film, TROS had to juggle 10 balls in the air and sort them out with aplomb. If Endgame was successful with all 10 balls, TROS was with 9 of them. The only flaw being that thanks to poor character development in the TLJ, I just didn't care about the fate of a couple of the new characters. But I cared about most.

And I recommend seeing this in IMAX 3D. This is exactly what the format is for.

B+

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Fresh out of seeing the movie. Previews started at 6:30 and we were in the car at 9:15.

Soundtrack seems outstanding! Can't wait to get it tomorrow!

Lots of moments where the theater was cheering. There were a couple of moments where some had tears flowing. I did feel choked up a bit at one point.

I think that movie worked but there's a lot to think about. Looking forward to reading everyone's reactions.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
And I recommend seeing this in IMAX 3D. This is exactly what the format is for.

B+

Did they really make good use of the 3D?

I am opting not to see it in 3D as the last film was completely flat, or at least, did not make good use of the format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fresh out of seeing the movie. Previews started at 6:30 and we were in the car at 9:15.

Soundtrack seems outstanding! Can't wait to get it tomorrow!

Lots of moments where the theater was cheering. There were a couple of moments where some had tears flowing. I did feel choked up a bit at one point.

I think that movie worked but there's a lot to think about. Looking forward to reading everyone's reactions.
I call it a mess because it had a bunch of stuff going on. One thing I did like is the humor in the movie as I did laugh quite a bit.
Nice to see Keri Russell playing Poe's former girlfriend.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Did they really make good use of the 3D?

I am opting not to see it in 3D as the last film was completely flat, or at least, did not make good use of the format.

IMO, the 3D was used very well. Not sure if it was shot in 3D or not, but if it is a conversion it's a well done one. The space battle scenes in particular just pop out at you and other shots are given a deep texture, with no peripheral fade or blurring.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I thought of Endgame too, a pretty apt comparison. It did a nice job of tying not only episodes 7 & 8 together (and I think it helps elevate them both), but also ties the saga as a whole together.
What is that? Opening night condom? :huh:

It's a pin. :laugh:

(I posted this on FB and a the whole thing got derailed when someone made a similar observation)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I specifically chose an 8 am showing on a workday. That paid off. The theater was mostly empty and I didn't end up getting annoyed.

About 22 minutes of previews. Really aggravated me --- especially with a film over two hours.

My feelings about the film...

I don't quite know how to feel. Still taking it in. FORCE AWAKENS was very good. LAST JEDI was pretty awful. RISE OF SKYWALKER is neither very good or pretty awful. It manages to rise above the last film but has so much going on at once that it comes across as a mess with a rather satisfying ending.

Let's just say I expected to hate it and I didn't.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but ultimate it shows that this trilogy didn't really bring much new to the table, all in all it's mostly just an echo of the original trilogy and anyone complaining of a cynical cash grab by Disney, I'm not sure I can argue with.

I do think if Lucas had made it we'd have at least had something new. And for all of TLJ's faults, I think Rian at least tried to steer things in a different direction.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I do think if Lucas had made it we'd have at least had something new. And for all of TLJ's faults, I think Rian at least tried to steer things in a different direction.
Yep and so LFL went back to basics with TROS and the impossible to please chunk of fans are still aren't pleased and the TLJ fans are now mad because it didn't go further with all of that movie's ideas. I think LFL made a mistake in trying to do what they think will please the fans because it's letting the inmates run the asylum and it's basically always going to piss a bunch of vocal people off.

And after the prequels, I can't even imagine how crazy people would have gone if Lucas did these movies AND did something different with them. The poor guy would have had to move to Mars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks