What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
(I haven’t seen TROS yet.)
There is something that has bothered me for a while now with TROS. Why does this have to be the end?

I don’t want it to end, I want an episode 10, even if it is 10 years from now. Why Disney, why paint yourself into a corner by declaring this the end?

I was thinking about this the other day, and I think Disney sees now as a good time to end the series of movies that started with 1977’s Star Wars. We all know how toxic fandom has become. For more than 20 years, fans have been complaining that the new films or the changes to the old ones “ruined their childhood.” It’s been taken to absurd heights in the last few years, with online bullying of actors, campaigns to damage a movie’s reputation online and a constant dismissive attitude to anything new in Star Wars. It’s a kind of sickness, really - fans clamor for more Star Wars, then complain bitterly when it’s not what they wanted.

So, by ending the episodic saga, Disney is essentially saying “This isn’t the Star Wars of your youth anymore. Come see what we’re doing but leave your ‘ruined childhood’ complaints at home.”

I think it’s strategic. There’s no other legit reason to end this part of the saga.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it’s ending because it’s a good marketing hook. If you go back and watch the Return of the Jedi trailers, that was the end. Then if you watch the Revenge of the Sith trailers, “the saga is complete.” Now it’s ending again. When they do XII in a decade or two, it’ll be the end again :)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
About to hit the road! 2.5 hour drive to Atlanta for our first TROS viewing and our first Dolby Cinema experience!

Honestly, I hope I don’t enjoy DC because I can’t afford to make this drive more often but, I’m probably going to love it and be depressed that their isn’t one closer to home.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
About to hit the road! 2.5 hour drive to Atlanta for our first TROS viewing and our first Dolby Cinema experience!

Honestly, I hope I don’t enjoy DC because I can’t afford to make this drive more often but, I’m probably going to love it and be depressed that their isn’t one closer to home.

Wow! A 2.5 hour drive to a Dolby theater?

Where in the boonies do you live?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I hope they make more movies. Now that Daisy Ridley is excellent and young. Don’t wait for them to get old. Finally make new movies with the new characters and no original actors and characters.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TLJ was so godawful that I'm sure this third film could not be worse, even if it was trying to be.

I may have to make an exception and try to see this on the weekend; although, I really dislike sitting in a crowded theater. Normally, I never go to films on their opening weekend.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think it’s ending because it’s a good marketing hook. If you go back and watch the Return of the Jedi trailers, that was the end. Then if you watch the Revenge of the Sith trailers, “the saga is complete.” Now it’s ending again. When they do XII in a decade or two, it’ll be the end again :)

Once upon a time, circa 1978, George Lucas did describe the story as having 12 episodes. They could eventually use that as justification for another trilogy.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow! A 2.5 hour drive to a Dolby theater?

Where in the boonies do you live?

2.5 hours the Boonies? That is pretty funny. Try 16-20 hours, round trip, just to go to an IMAX theater, let alone Dolby Cinema. That is the boonies. I know because I live in them. :laugh:

I am actually thinking of making that trip to see Nolan's "TENET" in IMAX if the reviews are good. Hell, I might go even if they aren't since I don't like to rely on other people's opinions on whether a film is good or not.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope they make more movies. Now that Daisy Ridley is excellent and young. Don’t wait for them to get old. Finally make new movies with the new characters and no original actors and characters.

Daisy Ridley has already stated that TRoS is her Swan song as Rey.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about this the other day, and I think Disney sees now as a good time to end the series of movies that started with 1977’s Star Wars. We all know how toxic fandom has become. For more than 20 years, fans have been complaining that the new films or the changes to the old ones “ruined their childhood.” It’s been taken to absurd heights in the last few years, with online bullying of actors, campaigns to damage a movie’s reputation online and a constant dismissive attitude to anything new in Star Wars. It’s a kind of sickness, really - fans clamor for more Star Wars, then complain bitterly when it’s not what they wanted.

So, by ending the episodic saga, Disney is essentially saying “This isn’t the Star Wars of your youth anymore. Come see what we’re doing but leave your ‘ruined childhood’ complaints at home.”

I think it’s strategic. There’s no other legit reason to end this part of the saga.

I couldn't help thinking, while watching it, that Lucas's final meddling with the Solo/Greedo scene in Ep4 was him giving a final finger to "fans" by turning the scene into comedic farce.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Have a safe trip as I can't really complain about my hour and ten minutes trip from my house to the nearest Dolby Cinema theater.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have a safe trip as I can't really complain about my hour and ten minutes trip from my house to the nearest Dolby Cinema theater.

I guess I am really out of touch.

I am fortunate to have Dolby theaters all over the place. Five-10 minutes in each direction.

...and I am in a suburb.

I had always figured theaters were widely found everywhere. That's pretty wild some of you have to travel hour(s) to get to yours.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess I am really out of touch.

I am fortunate to have Dolby theaters all over the place. Five-10 minutes in each direction.

...and I am in a suburb.

I had always figured theaters were widely found everywhere. That's pretty wild some of you have to travel hour(s) to get to yours.
The problem with my location is there isn't any AMC theaters in my area except one AMC Classic theater complex that hasn't been updated in over 20 years.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Well, we have an AMC Classic with IMAX in Montgomery. Just no Dolby Cinema anywhere close. Plus our IMAX is one of the lieMAX versions.

We are in our seats now and these seats are incredible. I’m spoiled now. And the screen is as big as our local IMAX screen, or pretty close. Which is a sad statement for our IMAX.

10 minutes to go!!!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Once upon a time, circa 1978, George Lucas did describe the story as having 12 episodes. They could eventually use that as justification for another trilogy.
Where did you hear 12?

From Empire coming out as “V”, it’s always been 9.
After ROTJ, there was this Bloom County strip
upload_2019-12-21_10-40-24.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, we have an AMC Classic with IMAX in Montgomery. Just no Dolby Cinema anywhere close. Plus our IMAX is one of the lieMAX versions.

We are in our seats now and these seats are incredible. I’m spoiled now. And the screen is as big as our local IMAX screen, or pretty close. Which is a sad statement for our IMAX.

10 minutes to go!!!

Gotta love these live casts!

The problem with my location is there isn't any AMC theaters in my area except one AMC Classic theater complex that hasn't been updated in over 20 years.

Wow. And I know how much you enjoy going to the theater. So, a lot of traveling!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It's 2.5 hours to NYC for Dolby Cinema for me. I also have the problem of not living anywhere close to an AMC. Not even one that hasn't been updated in 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks