What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I like reserved seating - especially for premium auditoriums - but I hate having to think about it so early. I know historical precedent and all, what they did with the others, will boost their TV ratings, will jumpstart toy sales, etc., but I could have been happy to wait til December 1st or so. I’m just gonna try to accept that it may take me a few extra hours from the first showing to see it and that I’ll be fine since I have absolutely no clue what I can commit to at this point.

I treat movies like concerts, plays, and even hockey games. I like knowing two months in advance exactly when I'm going to see the Calgary Flames lose in person. I like knowing two months in advance exactly when I'm going to see the next Star Wars or Marvel movie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I treat movies like concerts, plays, and even hockey games. I like knowing two months in advance exactly when I'm going to see the Calgary Flames lose in person. I like knowing two months in advance exactly when I'm going to see the next Star Wars or Marvel movie.

I don’t disagree.

It’s more that my life is a little less predictable in recent years than it used to be, so I can’t always make the commitment. But they make it pretty easy to return movie tickets in advance so I’ll make the best guess I can on availability and hope it works out. Total coincidence but each of the Disney saga films has presented a scheduling challenge that just happened to be a random fluke kinda thing. Why should this break with that tradition? :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It’s more that my life is a little less predictable in recent years than it used to be, so I can’t always make the commitment.
Same here. Also, it'll be nice to not have to go hours early to acquire a good seat but I'll have to fight the inevitable website crashes when every theater and ticketing service collapses because they don't bother to prepare for a huge onslaught of sales.

"Who knew Marvel or Star Wars movies were popular?"- no one... except Fandango, Regal and AMC

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s like Ticketmaster. They know they’re gonna sell out whether the system works well at the onsale or not.. and since they’re getting paid anyway.. they just have no incentive to fix their infrastructure to accommodate the demand spikes. It’s frustrating but as a guy who’s waiting in vain since forever for Ticketmaster to get their crap together, I don’t have high hopes that they’ll fix this either.

I was an AMC A-List member at the time Endgame came out and I ended up having to pay for tickets on my credit card just to get something going, and then in the dead of night a week later when I knew they’d be safe for a moment, I returned them, got the credit card refund, and then added to A-List instead. I don’t have A-List anymore but I’m prepared for a hassle.

But I’m also thinking that this may not beat out Endgame for opening weekend gross. It’ll do extraordinarily well but it might be slightly less chaotic. I don’t think Endgame’s runtime limited them in ways it would have in years past (round the clock showtimes, plus digital means you can cancel other movies and add Endgame to other screens, no need to get an extra print from the studio), so we’ll see.

I may opt for an easier accusation at my local unimpressive multiplex, and then seek out a higher quality presentation for a second viewing at a less peak time. That seemed to work well for me in 2015.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Same here. Also, it'll be nice to not have to go hours early to acquire a good seat but I'll have to fight the inevitable website crashes when every theater and ticketing service collapses because they don't bother to prepare for a huge onslaught of sales.
On the one hand, it will be nice to be able to get a showtime shortly after I get out of work because I don't need to factor in standing in line for three hours beforehand.

On the other hand, I have a lot of great memories from standing in line for three hours before Star Wars movies. And the barrier to entry was high enough that all of the opening night audiences were fans and you didn't have to worry about people talking through the movie or checking their phones constantly.

With reserved seating, I guarantee that they'll be at least a few groups of people who come in 10 minutes late and disrupt everybody while they try and find their seats.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yeah, I fondly remember standing in line with friends for several hours before showings of The Empire Strikes Back in 1980, and Return of the Jedi in 1983.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Unlike Hockey games, or concerts Someone with a cell phone lit up can ruin the experience of seeing a movie in a darkened theater if you are right behind them, and cannot move (not my place to tell them to stop with the nonsense, they are adults and I'm not paid to tell them what to do with their phone). Oher variables distract from the experience as well

This is why reserved seating is bad for movies. Phones are too common, and people are too selfish.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Someone with a cell phone lit up can ruin the experience of seeing a movie in a darkened theater if you are right behind them, and cannot move
If the theater was sold out, you couldn’t move whether it was reserved seating or not.
And if it’s not sold out. Who’s stopping you from moving to an unoccupied seat after the film has started. I’ve done it.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My two tickets for the 6PM IMAX have been reserved. The theater is already about halfway full.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Got tickets for my wife and I. Had no idea they were going to be going on sale this early and thought they were waiting until halftime during tonight’s NFL game. But whatever. I got nice seats, if just a little later of a showtime that I would have preferred as all the decent seats were taken at the earlier times (I got Thursday 8:30pm seats). VERY pumped now that I got my tickets secured! W00T!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Got mine. Easy in, easy out, no problems. Thank you Cinemark for being an easy website to use.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Got mine too; four tickets for the family on Saturday afternoon (that one was going fast) and one for me on Friday morning (only one other seat sold so far). No problems.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tickets are on sale now, I'm in the queue for the opening night IMAX 2D.
Thank you. I'll be seeing it twice on December 19th at my local GDX with Atmos theater. On December 20th, I'll be seeing it again at a AMC Dolby Cinema theater. And, on December 22nd, I'll be seeing it in 3-D IMAX.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
one for me on Friday morning (only one other seat sold so far)

I suspect the early Friday morning ones will take a little while longer to fill up because the majority of people wanting advance tickets this far out are probably focused on opening night shows or the actual weekend.

I was the first ticket sold for my opening night reserved seating Cinemark XD screening at 6:00, but it's filling up now with many of the seats on the risers gone. So far, I'm the only one in the wheelchair-accessible row below the risers, and no one is in the rows in front of me yet either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks