What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I realize Star Wars is essentially a fairy tale but to look at it from a real world stand point, no peace lasts forever. WWI was going to be the war to end all wars and just over 20 years, WWII happened.
That being said, there's a reason why there have been a lot more depictions of VJ Day than Armistice Day over the years.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I think I like the prequel story arc better. I don’t say that just to be contrary. The original trilogy is awesome. Love it. I loved how George weaves various elements from lots of other stories and movies I loved into a cohesive whole with good defeating evil. But with the prequels, I felt like I was seeing a story I had never seen before. How does a great society fall into ruin? How are a people persuaded to trade in their principals? Does it happen overnight or bit by bit? The original trilogy suggests that good is inevitable. The prequel trilogy adds nuance to the series by showing that good isn’t inevitable and is something that has to always be worked at and protected.

At least, that’s why it works for me.

I certainly didn’t hate TFA but it felt designed more to bring us back into the fold than it was to kick the can forward.

Yes, this is one of the big reasons why I like the prequels. ++ Well said.

I also like the world building in the prequels.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Palpatine was dead, his regime was destroyed and the galaxy was governed by the Republic again for more than three decades so yes, I'd say they were successful.

Was it governed by the Republic again? The Force Awakens suggests the Empire splintered off into the New Order and maintained a good amount of control.

And if Palpatine returns in Episode IX, was he dead?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Was it governed by the Republic again? The Force Awakens suggests the Empire splintered off into the New Order and maintained a good amount of control.
The Force Awakens shows that the Republic governs the galaxy when their capital planet is destroyed by the First Order. The backstory established in books, comics, etc. is that after their final defeat at Jakku, the remnants of the Empire went into the Unknown Regions and built up strength and eventually returned decades later as the First Order.

IF Palpatine returns, I think it would be in some form of cheating death (as alluded to in Revenge Of The Sith) so my guess would be that he was dead. Even if he wasn't dead, his Empire was defeated and he was no longer in control. To me, that's a success.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Depends on what they do with it. We'll see. It's possible he could have died and then been brought back to life somehow, like how everyone who died in Infinity War was dead even though Endgame exists. Or it's equally possible that he was never dead and just in hiding. That's a question for J.J. Abrams and Chris Terrio will need to answer in the movie.

Even if he wasn't dead, his Empire was defeated and he was no longer in control. To me, that's a success.

Agreed.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
D768F824-F11E-4707-894E-49E9D527571A.png
Tickets go on sale Monday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just hope the Dolby Cinema closest to me runs more than 4-5 shows a day like it's doing for WOZ and Terminator: Dark Fate.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Toys are already hitting shelves.
I’ve seen a new droid that looks interesting.
Everything else Ive seen are the usual characters and a few new vehicles

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Showtimes are already posted on Cinemark's website and Fandango. They're greyed out until Monday, so you can't buy them yet, but they're there, so you can see them and make plans.

Regular-priced showtimes will start at 6pm following Disney's customary Fan Events at 5pm.

I am glad to see that my theater -- which is not participating in the Fan Event screenings -- is screening the 6pm showtime in the largest auditorium again. For Endgame, the 6pm was in one of the smaller auditoriums and the largest one started at 7:30. I went at 6 in the smaller one because it was three hours long and I didn't want to be out terribly late. But I'll be happy to be able to see Star Wars on the biggest screen in the building for the first showtime.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s too bad that with the theatrical landscape as shaky as it already is, with repertory all but dead, that Disney doesn’t see a market for a retrospective engagement of the previous films. I’m sure they’ll do the thing where like 12 theaters in the country show the eight previous saga films in a row before playing the new one, but I’m talking more like an engagement that Disney and IMAX had with all the Marvel films coming back for two weeks to celebrate their tenth anniversary.

I can’t sit through nine movies in a row. I would go a separate prequel and original trilogy events, I could do three at a time. And I’d gladly pay to see Revenge Of The Sith on the big screen again, especially if it was the rarely seen 3D version.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This site is known for trashing Star Wars imho. But sometimes their rumors are accurate.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t need to watch the video to answer two questions:

1. No, Disney is not freaking out. They have a critic proof movie, being helmed by an acclaimed filmmaker whose work is well regarded both by critics and paying customers alike, who is known for bringing in projects on time and on budget.

2. Yes, they are probably doing reshoots now, an entirely standard practice for films of this scale, so standard that it’s part of the contracts that everyone signs that they must be available at exactly this time for exactly this reason. Reshoots are not indicative of disaster. It simply means that, once the assembly cut of the film was put together, that they wanted to make tweaks to present the best version of the film possible. Sometimes you simply realize that you don’t need a five minute scene you did shoot, but that you can’t remove it without first moving one necessary line of dialogue to a different scene so that the extraneous material can be cut without losing story flow. People tend to overwrite and overshoot because it’s hard to imagine when it’s just words on a page, and then when it’s put together there’s that eureka moment when everyone realizes the same point can be made faster and better with one line instead of ten, or other similar little tweaks. It’s amazing to me that this can still be used by vulture sites to create divisive clickbait. Aren’t we smarter than this?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
IF Palpatine returns, I think it would be in some form of cheating death (as alluded to in Revenge Of The Sith) so my guess would be that he was dead. Even if he wasn't dead, his Empire was defeated and he was no longer in control. To me, that's a success.
It was established in The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series (and before this by the Tales of the Jedi comics by Dark Horse) that the ancient Sith could "bond" their spirits with nearby physical objects at the moment of death, which could provide a mechanism through which Palpatine could return at least in spiritual form (if the Death Star-wreckage we see in that trailer is located on Endor).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks to the scourge of assigned seating, I'm going to have to commit to a showtime months before I'm ready to, just to make sure I get a good seat.

I like reserved seating - especially for premium auditoriums - but I hate having to think about it so early. I know historical precedent and all, what they did with the others, will boost their TV ratings, will jumpstart toy sales, etc., but I could have been happy to wait til December 1st or so. I’m just gonna try to accept that it may take me a few extra hours from the first showing to see it and that I’ll be fine since I have absolutely no clue what I can commit to at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks