What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"....it will officially become the longest Star Wars film ever at 155 minutes or 2 hours and 35 minutes. Revealed via AMC Theaters, The Rise of Skywalker clocks in just three minutes longer than The Last Jedi."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/22/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-running-time-how-long-length
I believe I read that that run time is just an estimate that theaters are using to schedule shows. I'm sure it's close to that but with two months left, they must still be editing.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Unreal Trailer. The music itself was chilling and also melancholy.

Say what you want but there is A LOT of expectations for this movie. Hope it can live up to it.

From the teaser and now this; I have high hopes.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Well, I got tickets for my family. We are going to drive just over 2 hours to make this our first ever movie in Dolby Cinema. Heading to the AMC Southlake 24 just south of Atlanta. Can’t wait, should be a lot of fun. Kids are excited about the reclining seats.

Because we’ve decide to make this a special trip, this will be the first time I haven’t seen a SW movie on opening night. We are making this trip on that Saturday and I want my first viewing to be in Dolby Cinema. Going to be tough waiting a few days but should be worth it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just looked at that AMC complex with Dolby Cinema nearest me and there are several seats available except for the first showing at 6:00 p.m. on December 19th. And, even more so with their IMAX screenings.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Amazing that in four short years, the industry has changed so much that it’s gone from all IMAX showings are in 3D to very few of them being so. Also, in 2015, the IMAX 3D ticket was $21. Same theater in 2019, it’s $28.

I love that we’re this close and we know some people that are in the movie and some hints of things that happen, but no idea what it’s actually about. It’s much more fun this way.

I was really moved by the trailer. I hope to see the very best of what Abrams can do in the finished movie, and I think that’s what we’re getting. He knows what’s at stake here in terms of storytelling and I think he’s got something to prove - between having a reputation for setting up things well but not doing endings, and knowing that Lucas wasn’t as thrilled with Abrams’ first swing compared to everyone else’s Disney-SW film - I think Abrams is up to it and I’m excited to see it.

I’d also love to one day read the story treatments that Lucas had that Disney didn’t use. I get why he walked away, but I think the filmmaking world was a richer place when George was an active participant.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yup it pretty much didn't give away anything we didn't already know.

That is absolutely my favorite thing about the trailer. I love that I'll get to enter the movie without any real idea about where they are taking the story. I'm guessing the Resistance will probably win out somehow or other, because that's generally how these things go in the end. But I haven't got a clue how they're going to get there. That makes it much more exciting to me than it would be otherwise.

Disney did the same thing with the Endgame trailers, in that they didn't have to show very much because, in these cases, they knew they have us regardless of what they show, which gives them the freedom to market it any way they want. I'm glad they've taken advantage of having the closest thing to a surefire hit you could get and not shoving a bunch of plot points down our throats in advance as many other trailers do.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This movie will be my last opening night that I'm obsessively have to see on that night. I'm done! The large crowds don't appeal to me any longer.

I wasn't even sure I wanted to see this film at all. Then I saw this trailer, and I am there opening day. Just like that.

I really hope the story is as good as the final trailer. Because, my goodness this now looks amazing.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
OK trailer with the required SW images and music. And that's about it.

Only 1 dialogue exchange in the whole trailer so no glimpses into where the character's heads are at.

No context provided for anything. Little idea what the movie is about. Movies are about story and characters and this trailer gave none of that.

And it lacks that OMG excitement moment.

Saying that, I'll see it, of course, but my excitement level is the same as it was before this trailer.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I think a reasonable in-universe argument could be made that defeating the empire wouldn’t result in a return to democracy that very afternoon. Just to draw from one simple example - the United States declared independence from Great Britain in 1776, and it was more than ten years before the constitution was ratified. And although the U.S. won the revolutionary war, they still had to defend that victory in the war of 1812. And not everyone who physically lived on U.S. soil wanted to be separated from the British Empire. So it certainly seems possible to me that you can overthrow Palestine but have a large segment of the population that liked how the Empire kept the trains running on schedule. And then another segment that hated Palpatine but doesn’t like the new leadership proposals either. Nothing in TFA seems politically implausible to me in that world. It just seems like a disappointing outcome because what was sold as The Big Victory in ROTJ becomes a bit smaller.
Many Canadians proudly point to ancestors who were part of the 1/3 of the population who left the 13 colonies to settle here when the US revolution occurred (1/3 also went back to Britain). They are called “United Empire Loyalists” and there are organizations similar to things like “Daughters Of The American Revolution” here.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Of course there's already a goofy Star Wars name for the space-horsies. Hell, there's even a Wookieepedia-entry on them by now, stating their planet of origin, which links to other species that live there, with photos that haven't popped up in any trailer yet. This franchise's hardcore fandom gathers no moss, I'll give them that.

I used to think I was a fan when I was a kid, but I was a fucking dilettante.

I gave up thinking I'm a fan of anything, really, a while ago. I used to be up on all this and knew all the background characters and actors and whatever. Not so much anymore. I don't hold it against anyone to be a fan who knows all this stuff...I just can't keep up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks