What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I keep seeing people calling this the last episode. Do we really think this will be the last “episode” in the series, that Disney will be content with ending the “episode” series? I fully expect a X-XII announcement soon after IX is released.
Personally, I think Episode IX will be the last numbered Star Wars movie. They may very well have movies set after Episode IX or movies that feature characters from the sequel trilogy but I think they'll just be called Star Wars: <subtitle> (like vast majority of Marvel movies) rather than Star Wars: Episode X, XI or XII. No doubt I could be wrong but numbering sequels has definitely fallen out of favor in Hollywood and I think that's because they don't want people to think about how many times they've been to the same or similar well.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No doubt I could be wrong but numbering sequels has definitely fallen out of favor in Hollywood and I think that's because they don't want people to think about how many times they've been to the same or similar well.

Disney doesn't even really use the number in marketing for the sequel trilogy; once the episode title is announced, it's only really in the opening crawl. I think this trend in Hollywood is mostly because it reduces the idea that you have to have seen all of these other movies in a given franchise before the current one, which depending on how many there are can begin to feel like a barrier to entry for non-fans. If Infinity War had been released with as "Marvel #19," there's no way it would have made as much as it did, even though it is essentially Marvel #19.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if there's another trilogy down the road, but I would bet it's at least 15 years off. So far each trilogy has been the story of a generation: The prequel trilogy was Anakin's story, the original trilogy was Anakin's children's story, the sequel trilogy is Anakin's grandson's story. If they do a fourth trilogy, Rey and Poe and Finn would be the old guard and a new generation of youngsters would take center stage. It's one of the ways the franchise renews itself.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My favorite Doctor! That being said, he pretty much has to be a First Order guy, with that look and that accent.

Not necessarily. He could be a Resistance leader. There were plenty of those guys with British accents. The general from Rogue One, Draven.

"Significant role," eh? Rey's father?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think it's still very much an open-ended issue. At the point Ren tells Rey about her parents, he's trying to manipulate her into joining forces with him. I think he'd say just about anything to swing her over to the dark side, including undermining the emotions she has bottled up about her parents.

Also, we all know how much Abrams enjoys misdirection. He now has the opportunity to twist the situation however he sees fit, as long as Kennedy agrees.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think it's still very much an open-ended issue. At the point Ren tells Rey about her parents, he's trying to manipulate her into joining forces with him. I think he'd say just about anything to swing her over to the dark side, including undermining the emotions she has bottled up about her parents.
Remember. SHE said they were nobodies. Not Ren.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Because that is one of her worst fears, and something that Ren was happy to amplify with authority. He spoke to her like he knew, and I think this was the whole point of the exchange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks