What's new

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (2023) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I am skeptical that Gadot’s WW success is transferable to another role - it doesn’t seem to be for any other superhero actor.
And given what I've seen of the talents of Gadot & Jenkins and the marketplace, I fear that this version of Cleopatra would be some silly ahistorical action movie where she's leading an army and engaging in hand to hand combat with male generals rather than a drama based on historical fact.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not a surprise, but it is a shame Disney can't get their theatrical Star Wars back on track. The Disney+ Star Wars is thriving, but there's no reason their original plan of a film a year couldn't have worked. (Yes, Solo underperformed but there were a lot of factors involved there.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We all knew that Rogue Squadron wasn't happening right now. That was clear back in November of last year.

Jenkins was at one time signed to direct this and Wonder Woman 3 and Cleopatra at three different studios. She is one human being. That was always going to be impossible. Cleopatra has changed directors, so I guess Wonder Woman 3 won out for her services first.

This is just Disney formally taking the release date off the calendar. I don't see it being as much of a surprise as other people online seem to think that it is.

That being said, I'm surprised that Disney didn't move another film from one of their other brands into the release date. They seem to be willing to let the date go altogether. It won't be long until another studio comes along to fill it with a big tentpole now that Star Wars has vacated.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its probably cancelled. Your career doesn't recover from a critical and financial bomb as large as WW84.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Your career doesn't recover from a critical and financial bomb as large as WW84.
I don't think it is fair to hold Jenkins responsible for the box office results of WW84 because of the unusual circumstances of its release. As we know, it came out at the height of the pandemic before vaccines were widely available.

I understand that people want to see a new Star Wars movie, but I'm not sure why anyone is treating this as new information today. Like I said in my earlier post, we know exactly what this is. Jenkins backed out of doing the film now last November to make a third Wonder Woman film. I'm not really sure why people are making a big deal out of this as though it is new information. Disney simply didn't remove the date from the calendar until now.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't think it is fair to hold Jenkins responsible for the box office results of WW84 because of the unusual circumstances of its release. As we know, it came out at the height of the pandemic before vaccines were widely available.
I'm sure that played a part, but I think the other big reason for its poor box office performance is that it just isn't a very good film, particularly compared to WW, which was excellent.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Didn’t Warner already do that with the Aquaman sequel?
Yes and no. Aquaman is scheduled for Wednesday, December 25. That would have been a few days after the Star Wars date, which I think was on the pre-Christmas Friday.

I wonder if WB will simply bump that film up a few days now?

In past years, there has usually been a big movie in the pre-Christmas slot (most recently used by Spider-Man: No Way Home and this year by Avatar: The Way of Water) and more films come actually on Christmas.

I'm sure that played a part, but I think the other big reason for its poor box office performance is that it just isn't a very good film, particularly compared to WW, which was excellent.
I agree, but it's hard to say how much business was lost due to the pandemic and how much was lost to it not being very good. The vaccine was not available to me yet when WW84 came out, so I watched it at home. If I had been vaccinated, I might have been more comfortable going to see it in a theater. Of course, I would have found out in the theater that it wasn't very good. But they would have had my money first.

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Its probably cancelled. Your career doesn't recover from a critical and financial bomb as large as WW84.

There are many directors of significant talent that have had their share of bombs, and these bombs didn't have to contend with COVID. A single poor result under circumstances beyond your control doesn't make you a bad talent. 'The BFG' certainly didn't ruin Spielberg.

If '84' had been run in the absence of COVID, I'm sure it would have performed at least three if not four times better.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
So did I, but it didn't do well enough to help Spielberg's career any, and it came close to damaging it.
It was less the box office and more the fact that he had gone way over schedule and budget on three films in a row.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks