What's new

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (2023) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Anyone know if Takia Watiti’s next film after Thor will be his Star Wars movie? Maybe they could slot his film to be next, although it seems unlikely it will be ready for 2023. And if it’s 2024, that’s 5 years without a Star Wars movie. That’s a long time these days.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
But Disney + is keeping Star Wars very prominent so it's not like the franchise is completely dormant or out of the eye of the mainstream.

Probably a huge “attack of the clones” 20th anniversary celebration in a few weeks too. 2002.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They are going to let her back at the reigns of Wonder Woman after WW84 was such a critical flop?
Why wouldn't they bring her back? The reception to WW84 was not great, but she is also responsible for directing the original Wonder Woman film, which was a huge hit by pretty much any standard. Patty Jenkins is absolutely capable of making a great Wonder Woman movie. Hopefully the third one is closer to the first one in quality than the second. Given her success with the first film, I don't see the second as cause to throw her overboard. WW84 dampened my immediate enthusiasm for the third film a bit, but once it comes out I will almost certainly still see the next one.

It always seemed odd to me that she was announced for all three of these projects last year and I remember thinking that the studios would have to get in line for her services. It looks like Disney is further back in the line.

The thing is that Gal Gadot said a few days ago that the script for WW3 is currently being worked on. That being the case, it probably isn't going to be ready to shoot soon either. I'm not clear how far along Cleopatra is.

I'm sure we'll get more clarity on this in the future when there is something to announce. In the meantime, Disney is wise to hold onto the December 2023 date they received for Rogue Squadron because it prevents competing studios from putting a massive tentpole on the same date. If Lucasfilm doesn't have something ready, they can always put some other big movie there from one of their other divisions.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In the meantime, Disney is wise to hold onto the December 2023 date they received for Rogue Squadron because it prevents competing studios from putting a massive tentpole on the same date. If Lucasfilm doesn't have something ready, they can always put some other big movie there from one of their other divisions.
Yeah, I'm sure Avatar 2 will need another year to finish so scheduling problem solved. :laugh:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Why wouldn't they bring her back? The reception to WW84 was not great, but she is also responsible for directing the original Wonder Woman film, which was a huge hit by pretty much any standard. Patty Jenkins is absolutely capable of making a great Wonder Woman movie. Hopefully the third one is closer to the first one in quality than the second. Given her success with the first film, I don't see the second as cause to throw her overboard. WW84 dampened my immediate enthusiasm for the third film a bit, but once it comes out I will almost certainly still see the next one.
I'm not going too far off topic here because Patty Jenkins seems to be in the crosshairs for something she had no control over, the audience response to WW84. Many thought it was weak, but what isn't talked about are the many fans of the film that absolutely love it. Like the director of "The Last Jedi" who again made something bold, and different than the status quo, and he was persecuted because of it. Or to go even deeper "The Joker" by Todd Philips. I hated it as did many others, and many loved it. But I can appreciate the film he made his way. These films are all the most glaring examples of cinema. Filmmakers making the movie they feel in their heart, not a paint by numbers example of pleasing everyone by checking all the boxes for standard popcorn enjoyment. With the release of WW84 I am now a huge fan of Patty Jenkins, and look forward to each film she makes.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not going too far off topic here because Patty Jenkins seems to be in the crosshairs for something she had no control over, the audience response to WW84. Many thought it was weak, but what isn't talked about are the many fans of the film that absolutely love it. Like the director of "The Last Jedi" who again made something bold, and different than the status quo, and he was persecuted because of it. Or to go even deeper "The Joker" by Todd Philips. I hated it as did many others, and many loved it. But I can appreciate the film he made his way. These films are all the most glaring examples of cinema. Filmmakers making the movie they feel in their heart, not a paint by numbers example of pleasing everyone by checking all the boxes for standard popcorn enjoyment. With the release of WW84 I am now a huge fan of Patty Jenkins, and look forward to each film she makes.
Films aren't made for fans. They are made for a wide audience, considering the massive cost of making them, especially SFX heavy tent pole films meant to be blockbusters. If the general consensus is that WW84 was a flop with a wider audience then it is legitimate to ask why they would bring her back to direct a third one. She isn't a Stephen Spielberg.

Also bringing up the terrible " The Last Jedi" to defend her film making isn't scoring her any points in my book. I was looking forward to "Rogue Squadron" but after WW84's weak response with non-fans I'll wait for reviews when it comes out.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Films aren't made for fans. They are made for a wide audience, considering the massive cost of making them, especially SFX heavy tent pole films meant to be blockbusters. If the general consensus is that WW84 was a flop with a wider audience then it is legitimate to ask why they would bring her back to direct a third one. She isn't a Stephen Spielberg.

Also bringing up the terrible " The Last Jedi" to defend her film making isn't scoring her any points in my book. I was looking forward to "Rogue Squadron" but after WW84's weak response with non-fans I'll wait for reviews when it comes out.
Strongly disagree. Films made by good directors create fans. If you are saying these bold directors shouldn't be in charge of big budget films then what would you suggest? Directors that tone down their vision, and make cookie cutter films that check all the boxes of enjoyment and meanwhile staying stagnant in the their approach to a certain super hero(s)? I think that is a horrible idea.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Paramount’s next Star Trek movie has already moved into this slot (from a June 2023 date).

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Cleopatra is still going to film, it just won't be with Patty directing, and it will still star Gadot. Or so seems the latest in the press.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When was the last time a "sword and sandal" movie was actually a hit? I guess Troy did OK 15 or 20 years ago but I don't think anyone is going to care about a Cleopatra movie in today's market. Then again, I thought the same basic thing about Titanic in 1996/97 so what do I know?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If it’s good enough and strikes the right chord, it’ll hit, but yeah, I’m skeptical. The Clash of the Titans remake was a minor hit, I don’t think it’s sequel was though. Oliver Stone has put out a bunch of versions of Alexander but I don’t think any of them really found a substantial audience. There was that Ben Hur remake that was DOA, not quite sword and sandals but close-ish. Gods of Egypt didn’t do much.

So yeah, a lot of recent precedent of that kind of film not catching fire lately.

The biggest obstacle in the modern marketplace may be that tentpoles open absurdly huge and then disappear just as fast. They basically get two weekends to vacuum up as much money as they can, and it costs a fortune to instill a sense of urgency in an audience to come out and see it immediately. Established mega franchises like Star Wars and Marvel have had success with this but it’s a very hard club for standalone films to rocket into, and if they have to spend $200 million in marketing to get a $100 million opening, what’s the point? I am skeptical that Gadot’s WW success is transferable to another role - it doesn’t seem to be for any other superhero actor.

I don’t root for things to fail but I think Cleopatra is the kind of thing that would do better as a limited series on a premium streaming service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks