What's new

Star Wars on Digital HD/Disney Movies Anywhere in May? (1 Viewer)

P

Patrick Donahue

Update: Vudu says on their Twitter that ANH will be UV enabled.

Also, text LIGHT or DARK to 698838 and get $1 Vudu credit.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
So if you buy from Vudu, the 5 DMA movies will transfer to iTunes, but not ANH, because iTunes doesn't support UV. If you buy from iTunes, the 5 DMA movies will transfer to Vudu, but not ANH, because even though Vudu supports UV, once again, iTunes doesn't. Google Play supports DMA but not UV, and I don't think Amazon supports anything. Honestly, DMA is working much better as a locker solution than UV at the moment.

P

Patrick Donahue

I look at the blu's on my shelf, knowing that there are no locker or provider compatibilities to worry about, knowing that they have lossless sound, and that to buy them now would be $30 CHEAPER than the digital copies on iTunes, and I feel one with the force.

Star Wars also now gives us a film series broken into multiple lockers. To me this is like buying the complete saga and getting 5 films in Blu-ray and one in HD-DVD. It's worse than a format war, because the studios aren't trying to have 1 format eventually win.

The way I see it there are 5 major content lockers out there - UV, DMA, iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play. This Digital EST thing will only work if there's one, folks. And worse, they are OK with the way this is going as long as you're buying...

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
One possible benefit of a rights-issues clusterf**k on a high profile release like this COULD be that DMA and UV get to talking about working together. But I won't hold my breath.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Now that Vudu works with DMA and UV, I simply do all of my digital copy redemptions there and don't run into a problem.

That being said, if Fox and Disney worked out an agreement for Episodes 1-3 and 5-6, it seems silly that the same terms could not be applied to A New Hope, even though it is a Fox production and the others are Lucasfilm productions distributed by Fox.

Obviously, A New Hope will have to in perpetuity, but if Disney has a hand in this release, will the five other films contain the Fox logo now, I wonder? This is the studio that frequently likes to update the logos on the front of its animated films to the most current one, regardless of what logo actually opened the film on its original release.

That being said: I see no reason to pay the amount of money they are talking for six films I already own. These are catalog titles -- very big catalog titles for sure, but still, essentially catalog titles we've all bought before. The inclusion of new bonus features alone does not justify a repurchase to me, especially since that content should/probably will be included in the next physical double dip of these titles down the line.

I use Vudu to redeem digital copy codes that come with Blu-rays, but only make a dedicated digital purchase if there is some reason the blu-ray is unavailable. I'll stick with my discs for now.

Eurion

Agent
Real Name
Eurion
No bundle price for itunes means that I'll hold of for the moment. Maybe there'll be a nice offer when the new film releases or otherwise with the holidays? It's not that I need them, I think I can dream them all by now.

Still happy that they're being released digitally now :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I feel
Dumb asking. What is DMA? I have over 1000 HDX VUDU films so I should know this.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Duh. Disney Movies Anywhere.

Told you I was dumb. [emoji12]

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I wonder if D2D will work with ANH? If so, I'd probably buy on iTunes and then use D2D on Vudu so that all 6 would then show up in both lockers.

Unfortunately my wife has vetoed this purchase for now, she says I have the BDs so I don't need the digital copies. She's right but she just doesn't understand.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Chris Will said:
I wonder if D2D will work with ANH? If so, I'd probably buy on iTunes and then use D2D on Vudu so that all 6 would then show up in both lockers.

Unfortunately my wife has vetoed this purchase for now, she says I have the BDs so I don't need the digital copies. She's right but she just doesn't understand.
I say zero chance any of them will be available on D2D for a loooong time. I would love to be wrong though. [emoji13]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm sure a re-release of the films on Blu with digital copies is not that far off. I can wait.

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
The pricing is bizarrely high, especially on iTunes since they seem to be the only storefront without a bundle price. In fact, you could buy the $90 bundle on Vudu, which will transfer 5 of the movies to iTunes using DMA, and then purchase A New Hope on iTunes separately and still save $10 over buying them directly from iTunes. And that involves buying A New Hope twice!

And yes, I'm assuming there will be a Blu-ray set bundled with the digital codes in the near future, which will sadly probably be much cheaper than buying the digital codes on their own.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
iTunes has a lot of bundles, they might have not finalized their bundle for Star Wars yet. They still have a couple of days.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Mason said:
The pricing is bizarrely high...
I admit to knowing almost nothing about digital downloads (movies, music or books) but I figured that, at most, all 6 movies would be about $20. I guess it's because they give digital copies away for zero in many Blu-rays that they have basically no value in my eyes but I'm shocked that a digital copy of a movie costs more than $5.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Pretty pricey for a few new featurettes, and essentially the same quality on the movies themselves as the Blu-rays (and actually less quality when it comes to sound).

And as with the Blu-rays, I really don't care anyway since the original versions of 4-6 aren't included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks