What's new

Star Wars on Digital HD/Disney Movies Anywhere in May? (1 Viewer)

P

Patrick Donahue

Towergrove said:
Me too but what would be the purpose of people purchasing this title that has already been released time and time again in other formats that are still being used in 2015? I would think that most fans would already have these?? I can see some use of this for some but I dont see earth shaking sales figures for the titles even if they are Star Wars.
Honestly? I think it will legitimize the Digital HD format...

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Patrick Donahue said:
There you go!
Patrick, not accusing you of anything but what exactly is the source of this pic? I only ask because the vudu.com/starwars URL doesn't work, nothing is mentioned on vudu.com or star wars.com and indeed I can't find ANY confirmation of this anywhere online except for a couple of discussions on other forums that also seem to be based around this same pic.

P

Patrick Donahue

Stephen Brooks said:
Patrick, not accusing you of anything but what exactly is the source of this pic? I only ask because the vudu.com/starwars URL doesn't work, nothing is mentioned on vudu.com or star wars.com and indeed I can't find ANY confirmation of this anywhere online except for a couple of discussions on other forums that also seem to be based around this same pic.
The sources of the pic are the same sources you have seen. I didn't add any commentary to it just putting it up here. Nothing has been officially announced. Some on forums have said they have seen this at their WalMarts and have put up similar pics (from blu-ray.com: "I stopped by a Wal-Mart with the only purpose being to look for the sign that was shown in the Yak posting. And see it I did. It was up at the entrance of the store...",) and some have said they confirmed it via Vudu's customer care line. I guess we will all see next week!

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Sweet. I just didn't want to get my hopes up. As I usually do whenever a new Star Wars release is rumored, I have gone about a year without watching any of the movies in anticipation. It's the only way to keep them somewhat fresh after having seen them so many times.

Good to see that there will be bonus features. I agree that these would be a pretty tough sell at $20/movie. If it's $30 for each trilogy, that would seem more reasonable. I wonder if the 3D versions of the prequels will be on sale on Vudu as well? They spent the money to do the conversions, they might as well try to recoup some of it.

P

Patrick Donahue

It sounds like they are going to sell the whole enchilada for $100. I'll buy a digital movie here and there but spending $100 and getting nothing to hold in my hands? I don't think I can stomach that...

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
If it has all the bonus material from the DVD and BD releases cataloged along with new stuff, and if they're sneaking the rumored new 4K masters of the OT on there (Special Edition, I'm not expecting the theatricals to be a part of this although it would be a nice surprise), then that might be a good deal. I'd find the convenience of not having to swap out discs to be a decent trade. Vudu isn't likely to go anywhere anytime soon, I think it's pretty much the safest place if you're going to purchase streaming media.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
A New Hope is being released by Fox and will be UV. The others are being released by Disney with DMA. I would have preferred UV of course but I have the Bly-Rays so I may just get A New Hope if it's D2D!

P

Patrick Donahue

Joshua Clinard said:
A New Hope is being released by Fox and will be UV. The others are being released by Disney with DMA. I would have preferred UV of course but I have the Bly-Rays so I may just get A New Hope if it's D2D!
R2D2 D2D?

Sorry

Here's the page for the titles. Note the run times correspond to the Special Editions

http://www.vudu.com/movies/Movies_mobile.html#uiPage/102

And you know that the Disney/Fox thing means, Josh? 5 of the 6 titles will port to iTunes, but not A New Hope. Of course that assumes iTunes has them...

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Interesting that they worked out a deal to bundle ANH, but not as far as actually putting it on DMA. That puts Star Wars in the same position as the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where all but one movie is wholly owned by Disney (The Incredible Hulk is the only Marvel Studios movie not on DMA).

I love that they use the Struzan poster art. Seems to be a good mix of old and new bonus features. I was hoping that Empire of Dreams would be on there in HD, but that's not a deal breaker.

P

Patrick Donahue

Stephen Brooks said:
Interesting that they worked out a deal to bundle ANH, but not as far as actually putting it on DMA. That puts Star Wars in the same position as the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where all but one movie is wholly owned by Disney (The Incredible Hulk is the only Marvel Studios movie not on DMA).
I love that they use the Struzan poster art. Seems to be a good mix of old and new bonus features. I was hoping that Empire of Dreams would be on there in HD, but that's not a deal breaker.
It IS interesting, but I will also be very curious to see is Ep 4 is UV or not. If you buy the bundle for say $100 and one movie ends up in one locker and the other 5 end up in another locker... this seems like trouble.

The timing of this is also curious. I get May 4... I get when Ep 7 comes out... I get when Ep 7 comes out on video... but now???

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
As far as I can tell it was supposed to come out last Fall, when Episode 7 was tentatively scheduled for this May. Now that Episode 7 comes out in December, this is roughly the same time frame, although a May the Fourth release would have made more sense. UNLESS....conspiracy theory here....a Blu-ray and Digital HD release of the original theatrical versions is being announced at Celebration 2015, so they wanted to get this set out and make all the money they could in a couple weeks so fans didn't just wait.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to see George Lucas make constant changes to these on a daily basis. One day Greedo will shoot first, another day you'll see Han shoot first, other days you'll see them both shoot at the same time, and maybe one day they'll just kiss and make up. I'll watch my original versions on CED videodisc before I spend a penny for this.

P

Patrick Donahue

Aaaaand blu-ray for the win

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 87

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Patrick, go into the bundle and make sure you click on the actual movie. Vudu is a little confusing that way. The movies themselves do have Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (still not as good as the Blu-ray, but good enough for most people).

I also doubt that Episode 4 will be UV. I think it will be nothing for the foreseeable future. Right now, you can link your DMA account to Vudu, iTunes, and Google Play. I'd be shocked if this release didn't come out on at least iTunes as well. It looks like the other episodes will show up in all your DMA linked accounts, but A New Hope will be locked to whatever e-tailer you originally purchase the set from. So choose carefully.

P

Patrick Donahue

Stephen Brooks said:
Patrick, go into the bundle and make sure you click on the actual movie. Vudu is a little confusing that way. The movies themselves do have Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (still not as good as the Blu-ray, but good enough for most people).
I also doubt that Episode 4 will be UV. I think it will be nothing for the foreseeable future. Right now, you can link your DMA account to Vudu, iTunes, and Google Play. I'd be shocked if this release didn't come out on at least iTunes as well. It looks like the other episodes will show up in all your DMA linked accounts, but A New Hope will be locked to whatever e-tailer you originally purchase the set from. So choose carefully.
I'm going to this link, then clicking on the individual titles, and the each show Dolby Digital Stereo. Are you looking in a different place?

http://www.vudu.com/movies/Movies_mobile.html#uiPage/102

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Clicking on the icon of the movie that says "+BonusFeatures" will take you into the bundle for that movie. Then you'll see icons for the feature movie as well as each individual bonus feature. Click on the movie icon, and it should give you the actual specs for that movie.

The links currently aren't working for me. They did earlier in the day, it even let me log into Vudu and add the set to my wishlist, but when I looked in my wishlist they weren't there. They seem to come and go from accessibility. I guess it has to do with being so far out from release. It would be nice if it would just let me preorder the set. It's not like it's any big secret that it's coming.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
It seems, as news of this has spread, that Vudu has been hard at work scrubbing all trace of Star Wars from prying eyes. I'm going to guess that while this release probably was intended for this Friday at one point, it was since delayed, and some Walmart associates failed to get the memo and put out the signs that had already been shipped (I used to work at Walmart and it certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that happened). We'll see in a few days, but as of now I wouldn't place any bets on being able to actually buy these on April 10th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks