1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Games--Why Are They So Bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob_Pierce, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I don't know how everyone else feels, but as a huge Star Wars fan, I feel pretty dissapointed in the vast majority of SW console games. I don't play PC games so I can't comment on those, but quality SW console games are few and far between.

Both Rogue Squadrons are good, especially II on the GC, but other than that, few exist. The Super Nintendo games were also fun, but games like Obi-Wan, Jedi Power Battles, and Super Bombad racing are average at best. The latest game, Bounty Hunter, had all the elements of a great game (good story, fun gadgets, very cool character), but the game was poorly put together and overall not very fun. The two Star Fighters were fair and I don't even want to play the Clone Wars. I have great hope for Knights of the Old Republic, but only because it is created by a third party.

Am I being overly critical and unfair, or am I justified in holding SW games to a higher standard? Also, what does everyone think about more third party games? I know this is not likely (I'm sure Lucas Arts is a cash cow for Georgie-boy), but Lucas Arts simply does not make good games, no matter how much I want them to. All I ask for is a solid RPG with Luke, Han, Vader, Yoda, or any other character who is not completely made up just to suck cash out of SW fans. Sorry to rant, but I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The console games aren't that great
    You need to play PC games. Jedi Knight 2 is a much better game on PC, all the X-Wing/Tie Fighter titles are superb

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The PC Games have all been pretty hit or miss also. Rebel Assaults, Force Commander, Rebellion, and a smattering of console ports all come to mind immediatly along with the great X-Wing/Tie Fighter and Dark Forces games.

Part of the problem is that most of the guys that designed the majority of LucasArt's great games have all left, and it seems their replacements haven't been able to match the old guys. Who there is filling Ron Gilert, Time Schaefer, Larry Holland, Justin Chin, and Larry Ahern's shoes over there?

Obviously LA figured out that whoever they have not can't quite compete anymore, so they've outsourced alot of their projects to other teams that are very good at what they do. So now Verant gets to do an MMORPG, Bioware gets to do an RPG, Raven got to do a FPS, and Pandemic does a tank/action game (and an RTS was built of the existing AOE engine). This is great because A) We get some pretty good games (although not a superb as the classics) and B) LucasArts can now revisit some old classic Adventure franchises and hopefully revive the adventre genre to some degree.

We may hold the Star Wars games up to somewhat higher standards, simply because we've seen what can be done with games in the Star Wars universe, and it's a terrible shame to see the best movie license ever go to waste on a poor game.

Keep some faith, and try and sift your way through the bad, and eventually you'll get to the good.

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

One of the greatest games of all time is a Star Wars game, Tie Fighter on the PC.

5. Jeff Kleist

Lawrence Holland's group is still contracting for LucasArt. They're doing a WW2 flightsim game

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Graeme hit the nail right on the head though, LucasArts no longer has all the stars that made them great these days. Unfortunately they were pretty much forced out of the adventure game market since so few of us enjoy adventure games these days (naturally that WOULD be my favorite genre) that no game will sell enough to turn a profit.
    As for the Star Wars games, yes, I think overall the quality is about half-and-half for both console and PC. In defence of the PC though, Rebel Assault was originally a CD game for one of the consoles first I believe [​IMG]

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

And you can't forget that LucasArts has sequels to Sam and Max Hit the Road and Full Throttle on the way!

9. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

I agree Romier, with the exception of the pizza box puzzle at the end (because you had to actually fail the entry once to get the box to appear at all, grr) The Longest Journey was a super adventure game, and I do agree that it begs for a sequel...

11. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader are great and I think Jedi 2 for the Gamecube is a blast (though the jumping parts drive me crazy and the cut scenes are pretty badly rendered). I think your standards must be way too high.

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

A few years ago there was a mass exodus of all the big talent. That, combined with the big business mentality of "slap the name on it and ship it" has resulted in a lot of turds.

Thankfully they started outsourcing with Verant, Bioware, and Raven.

-Dave

13. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Thankfully, Lucasarts HAS realized there's a lack of internal talent, and the outsourcing of projects is a sign that the company wishes to change their image.

It's not really fair to judge the entire "brand" by recent console duds. Lucasarts ruled the PC landscape years ago, and seems to wish for better success in the console world. I've got more hope for KOTOR then I used to, especially after reading many Bioware interviews.

14. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Rob,
    Check out Star Wars Galaxies. It's an upcoming MMORPG in the universe of the classic trilogy.

15. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Great conversation. I'm not informed enough to know about the actual game designers at LA, but it certainly answers a lot of questions I had about LA. Thanks to all of you that replied with this info.

16. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

17. Jeff Kleist

True!

Sigh, I'm so upset Sierra has killed their adventure game division. I still haven't played Gabriel Knight 3

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

19. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I'll echo Kelley and say that Tie Fighter is one of the greatest, if not best, space combat simulation. Very immersive, excellent storyline. I've seen it in the value CD-ROM sections for about $9.00. You get expansion packs, and it runs using DirectX - I remember I bought the game when it came on floppies! It's too bad to see the Star Wars space combat being dumbed down into arcade shoot em ups like Rogue Squadron...

I found an old copy of Full Throttle lying around and installed it just to see if it would run under Windows XP - still a great game, with well-written witty dialogue.

I remember LA consistently put out good games - I hope they do better down the road....

20. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I'm in total agreement on X-Wing and Tie Fighter. I had both when they were dos based and shipped on floppies. Excellent games. I then purchased the Windows Direct 3D enabled versions and wow talk about a graphical improvement. It's too bad we won't ever see another game like that. I like Rogue Leader but I'd rather see an updated version of Tie Fighter. Space combat sims just aren't as common as they used to be.