What's new

Imprint - The Music of Chance Blu ray - Neo Nior with a great cast, But... (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I had never watch this film but I was intriged with the cast and the storyline. Imprint seems to not do restoration but releases what the studios provide. This is one of those stiuations here. A fair transfer, but could have been so much better. the colors were good but the contrast and gray scale was too high. And not dlivering the blacks that the scenes badly needed. Maybe if I see it more than once I'll gain greater insight? The premis is fun and with actors like James Spadrer, Mandy Patinkin, Charels Durning, Joel Gray and the always great M Emmett Walsh as the caretaker...the possibilites are there. Upon first veiwing, it left me with more questions than answers...and there seemed to be much of the storyline and character development left on the cutting room floor??

Has anyone else bought, rented or has seen this film?
NUMBER OF BLU-RAY DISCS1
RATINGM
RELEASE DATE27 July 2022
RUNTIME (IN MINUTES)98
PRODUCT CODEIMP3021
JACK POZZI IS ABOUT TO TAKE THE BIGGEST GAMBLE OF HIS LIFE…
Whilst traveling across America living off the money from a large inheritance, ex-fireman Nashe (Mandy Patinkin) has a chance meeting with Pozzi (James Spader), a professional gambler and card shark. Nashe agrees to fund the penniless Pozzi in a game of poker against two eccentric millionaires, Flower and Stone, in an attempt to regain some of his spent fortune. His gamble has unforeseen and bizarre consequences for both himself and Pozzi.

Highly underrated cult gem from the early 90’s. Directed by acclaimed American artist, screenwriter and filmmaker Philip Haas and based on the novel by author Paul Auster.

Starring Mandy Patinkin, James Spader, M. Emmet Walsh, Charles Durning, Joel Grey, Samantha Mathis & Chris Penn.

The Music of Chance is an artfully constructed trap. Like a lobster pot, a labyrinth or a game of poker, it draws you in and doesn’t let you go.” – Washington Post

Special Features and Technical Specs:

• 1080p High-definition presentation on Blu-Ray from a new 2K scan
  • Special Features TBC
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Aspect Ratio 1.85:1
  • Audio English LPCM 2.0 Stereo
  • Optional English HOH subtitles
  • Limited Edition slipcase on the first 1500 copies with unique artwork

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 30

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the review, Cap.

I saw it at the theater when it was released, and was taken enough with it to pick up the laserdisc when that came out.
In fact, it was one of the last LD purchases I ever made.

I never thought of it as noir-adjacent, let alone neo-noir, but I guess I can understand where some might see those qualities in the material.
The problem would be that might then set up other newcomers to think it's a conventional, plot driven type of story, which it definitely isn't.

The elements that I was responding to were its absurdist/existentialist vibes. And it was as much a mood piece as anything.

In those terms it reminded me a little of something like The Swimmer, though the latter has a much easier to relate to through line, and is more realistic ( as well as just being a much stronger film over all IMO).
Music of Chance unfolds more like dream-logic. In that sense it might be considered as edging towards magic-realism, maybe? Albeit with a very dark tinge.

I've forgotten most of the specific plot points over the last 30 years. I recall a few bits of business, but it's mostly the mood it conjured that stuck with me.

I definitely want to see it again and was tempted to import the Imprint- but figured I'd wait and see how the transfer stacked up. Since it doesn't sound all that hot, I'll wait and see if a domestic label like Kino or Mill Creek release it, and save a few $.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thanks for the review, Cap.

I saw it at the theater when it was released, and was taken enough with it to pick up the laserdisc when that came out.
In fact, it was one of the last LD purchases I ever made.

I never thought of it as noir-adjacent, let alone neo-noir, but I guess I can understand where some might see those qualities in the material.
The problem would be that might then set up other newcomers to think it's a conventional, plot driven type of story, which it definitely isn't.

The elements that I was responding to were its absurdist/existentialist vibes. And it was as much a mood piece as anything.

In those terms it reminded me a little of something like The Swimmer, though the latter has a much easier to relate to through line, and is more realistic ( as well as just being a much stronger film over all IMO).
Music of Chance unfolds more like dream-logic. In that sense it might be considered as edging towards magic-realism, maybe? Albeit with a very dark tinge.

I've forgotten most of the specific plot points over the last 30 years. I recall a few bits of business, but it's mostly the mood it conjured that stuck with me.

I definitely want to see it again and was tempted to import the Imprint- but figured I'd wait and see how the transfer stacked up. Since it doesn't sound all that hot, I'll wait and see if a domestic label like Kino or Mill Creek release it, and save a few $.
Thanks D, sorry, but it's light Noir esque feel is the reasoning behind that labling, kind of Noir on Mushrooms, LOL!!
I felt like it could have had an almost Stephen King meets David Lynch feel to it, my issue with the film is that there is so much, almost too much, assumption left on the part of the viewers. I don't mind having to work for it, but at least give me a road map to follow, LOL!!

After the card game, we vitually see nothing from Durning or Gray. We never get the significance of the "Tiny World" created by Gray's character...only the occational hand insterted, building the tiny wall. Both of those characters of Flower and Stone, remain in abstract obscurity, replaced by the caretaker played by M. Emmet Walsh. Almost like a slight of hand artist, but with no payoff, no magic!

It's implied in some of the dialogue at the card table that the James Spader character was picked up by Pattinkin after the first encounter with Flower and Stone, after being beaten half to death and left on the side of the road. But this is only hinted at during the card game. I appreciated the parallel of the road scenes, same yet diferent.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Photos in the deep end of the pool.

Attachments

• images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 44
  • images-3.jpeg
    images-3.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 49
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 35
  • h9zf3jcg0n9e.jpg
    h9zf3jcg0n9e.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks