What's new

Star Wars Games--Why Are They So Bad? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Owensboro, KY
Alright!!! Another one from the BlueGrass state!!!

Tie Fighter is probably one of the best space fight simulator games ever made. I still have fond memories of flying the Tie Defender and blowing everything to smithereens.

I think the Star Wars games are cool, although my perceptions are seriously colored and biased by my love of the Star Wars universe. I thought all three titles on the Super NES were excellent. Rogue Squadron rules. And I like Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. I'll probably be getting Jedi Knight II, Jedi Outcast for GC when I get the chance. My computer sucks.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The Star Wars games are kinda hit and miss. I think what Lucasarts needs to do is license out the games instead of doing it under their name or in house. Factor 5 did a great job and they are third party. Bioware is making KOTOR. Verant is making Galaxies. Lucasarts needs to get MAJOR third party developers making these games, not third rate cheap developers. This is Star Wars we are talking about here! The Sega games were also cool!
Think about it...a good Star Wars fighting game centered only on lightsaber combat developed by the folks at Namco who made Soul Calibur!
That would rock the world.
Get Bungie to make the next Jedi Knight game. (Not that there is anything wrong with these now). Imagine a Jedi Knight game that looked and had the feel of Halo! Get Hideo Kojima or UbiSoft to make a bounty hunter game, with all the cool stealth aspects in there! Get Visual Concepts to make sports games in the Star Wars universe, like the sports seen on the TVs in Episode II. A RTS game by Blizzard!
Lucas is on the right track with BioWare and Verant. Two developers who are at the tip top of the Genre they are making.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
None of those people/teams are exactly developers for hire. Let's get Miyamoto on something while we're at it.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
So Sierra killed their adventure games division? I have fond memories of those games. I learned to type by playing Police Quest 2 on our new IBM PS/1 286 back in 1990. I used to love those games.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sierra was bought by some giant conglomerate and after Gabriel Knight 3 and King's Quest 11 (or was it 10) bombed on sales that was it.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Edan,
It's actually already been created. Although, as my memory serves me, you could only play over a LAN and perhaps MSN Gaming Zone(not sure about that one). I'd love to a see a modern version of xwing versus tie fighter though. I know X-Wing alliance had multiplayer but from what I read it wasn't as robust as that in XvT.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
To be fair Jeff, King's Quest VIII was a bizarre 3D action-adventure-role playing hybrid rather than a straight out adventure game. For some reason the geniuses at Sierra got it into their heads that every damn game has to be 3D (one of the worst trends in gaming in the past six years).

Gabriel Knight III is not a hideous game, though it is at best mediocre with a couple flashes of brilliance. But nobody wanted to buy it, so we no longer have adventure gaming's most mature series around. Sigh.

I concur Dave, I have very, very fond memories of the early Sierra games as well. My cousin and I would stay up to all hours trying to get through the puzzles. Police Quest 2 was definitely an awesomely done game. I'll always remember telling your friend on the force that IA has an open investigation into his drug use and he then leaves to get help.

The best adventure game in the last couple of years is almost certainly The Longest Journey, but I don't think many people played that one either.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Marc, if you want to get rid of your copy of Gabbo Knight 3 (or 1 or 2) I'd love to take it off your hands. My floppy disc of the original died, and I didn't have the hardware at the time to play 2. I've checked all the etailers. The collections are nowhere to be found

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I wish I could help you Jeff, but I dearly, dearly love my GK series and it's going nowhere ;). If I ever have to save three games from my collection for some reason and lose the rest, they'll be the ones :p).
My advice, if you're not adverse to it, try Ebay. You can get all three on there quite easily for very minimal outlay of cash. Even moreso for you since you're an American ;)

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
It's actually already been created. Although, as my memory serves me, you could only play over a LAN and perhaps MSN Gaming Zone(not sure about that one
Didn't know that...I'd lost touch with the sequels (if you can call them that)to the original X-wing game after it and its expansion packs sucked up all my free time in my 3rd year of university (free time meaning study time of course).

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
X-Wing vs Tie Fighter wasn't as well loved because it focused on multiplayer for the most part, and it's single player wasn't as robust as the previous games (and you could play on LAN, direct TCP/IP or MS Zone). At the time, internet gaming was still a relatively new thing. Alliance just didn't do very well for whatever reason.

I FINALLY got GK3 last night! I've wanted to buy it since it was released, but didn't want to spend $65 on it. I kept waiting and waiting for it to drop in price, but it never did and eventually disappeared. Bought it off a guy for $5 last night.

Now if I could just get my copy of GK1 to work, I'd be nearly set.

The best adventure game in the last couple of years is almost certainly The Longest Journey, but I don't think many people played that one either.
I don't have any numbers, but I think Longest Journey actually did fairly well. It's not going to sell millions of copies, but it probably doesn't have to. The other adventure games in the last little while have been Escape from Monkey Island and (aparently) Syberia.

VinT

Agent
I find it ironic that the best SW game, Rogue Leader, is not even made by Lucasarts.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Heh, good luck Graeme. If you're using an XP computer you'll never play GK1 again (and if you do, please let me know how you did it!). I installed my copy last June (I've had a long-running goofy idea to play the game literally one day each day for the duration of its story) and the darn thing won't save.
And I know I'll get killed at least once trying to do that dang snake mound, so leaving the computer on for days on end with GK running isn't really an option...
Far as GK3 goes, enjoy Graeme. But if you want my advice, stick through until the end no matter how much you may or may not enjoy it (call it a hunch ;)). The game itself is half and half, but the ending is unbelievably satisfying.
Well, part of it is. Stupid cryptic self.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Ouch, you've never played it? That's killer :frowning:. At least I know what I'm missing.
But yeah, if you go with the Windows install you can load GK1 up, but it does that save thing. You need DOS or 3.1 for it, ideally DOS quite frankly.
Sorry to hear your CD is bad though. Like I mentioned above, Ebay often puts out copies for cheap, not that that may mean anything with the XP problem too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks