What's new

Star Wars Games--Why Are They So Bad? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Far as GK3 goes, enjoy Graeme. But if you want my advice, stick through until the end no matter how much you may or may not enjoy it (call it a hunch ). The game itself is half and half, but the ending is unbelievably satisfying.
I actually liked GK3 almost as much as the first one (certainly more than the second one). Top notch voice acting, some good, involved puzzles (the Serpent Rouge one was fantastic), and a good story. I'm also disappointed that they never revisited that engine, since it seemed to take so long to create, and worked really well (better than the Grim Fandango/Escape from Monkey Island one). Not quite up to par with the best adventure game engine ever (that being the LSL7 one), but still damn good.

As for GK1, I haven't tried it in XP, but couldn't you run in a compatability mode? Either way, as long as you have a FAT partition, it's pretty easy to create a boot disk that will let you start in DOS (you just need to find some legacy drivers). Worked fine for me though-finally got to play Sam & max, Day of the Tentacle etc again. Granted I did that under 98, but I'm assuming that XP with a FAT partition would work the same way.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I regret purchasing Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, and will likely never purchase another Lucasarts title again without renting it first. I have simply been too let-down by Lucasarts titles. Come to think of it, the only Lucasarts title that I really enjoyed was Episode I: Racer (although I am well aware that most people didn't like it). I am praying to got that the XBox Indiana Jones game is not a dissapointment, however, to my understanding it is being made by the same group that made Buffy (which is a good thing).

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it's iffy. I'm not comfortable enough to much about with file partitions and the like (I am such a DOS person it's not funny, I can cook with autoexec's and config.sys files 'til the cows come home) to get stuff running unfortunately.

I'm actually surprised you liked GK3 over GK2 Chris. I found the Serpent puzzles a bit fiddly for my liking (they had to be VERY exact). Then again, I liked the history behind GK2, and while there aren't a ton of puzzles there are a number of good ones (that tape splicing puzzle is great fun). It's also the only time I can think of that FMV and a game actually worked.

Sure the acting isn't perfect, but it's head and shoulders above most games in that vein which ever came out. And I love the huge showdown at the end (basically all of Act VI).

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Graeme, thanks for that link. I just spent an enjoyable hour revisiting both Day of the Tentacle and Indy 4 :)

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
For some reason the geniuses at Sierra got it into their heads that every damn game has to be 3D (one of the worst trends in gaming in the past six years).
I could not agree more with this quote. Great games like Castlevania, Symphony of the Night are fantastic 2-D side scrollers; I would love to see more of them. Some games translate really well (Zelda and Mario) if enough time and energy are put into them, but most are better served in a 2-D world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks