What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather see them do something *new*. We've already had Jaaku serving as a stand-in for Tatooine in TFA. Do we really need a jungle planet in the third film, just like ROTJ? No. NO Endor. NO Yavin. Please. There's an entire UNIVERSE out there! Surely the filmmakers can be a little more creative with locales than doing even more rehashing.
For all of the complaining about The Last Jedi, it didn't fall into this trap. It carried over Ahch-To from The Force Awakens (which was far and away the most distinct new environment from that movie) but otherwise gave us new settings: Canto Bight, which is rocky and arid but also vaguely Mediterranean; and Crait, which is a truly alien environment, with a white coating of salt over crimson red rock.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Not necessarily. He could be a Resistance leader. There were plenty of those guys with British accents. The general from Rogue One, Draven.

"Significant role," eh? Rey's father?

Very late to the thread with my comment on this - probably the discussion has long passed this point by.

Rey's father? Absolutely. You bet.

Remember who is directing here.

The story is going to have a subplot of Rey finding her father in a big torpedo tube on the surface of some planet, so he can be revived and save the whales, as they are the true keepers of the force.

Or something.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The story is going to have a subplot of Rey finding her father in a big torpedo tube on the surface of some planet, so he can be revived and save the whales, as they are the true keepers of the force.
Or something.

I would actually like that better than the explanation we got in The Last Jedi.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Very late to the thread with my comment on this - probably the discussion has long passed this point by.

Rey's father? Absolutely. You bet.

Remember who is directing here.

Or something.

10092ce45e73467508ebac678b898dee.png

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
He probably has, but this is not good news. Hopefully he makes a quick, full recovery from whatever his ailment(s) might be.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, the statement is super-vague about what is actually going on. Both because I want to hear more work from him, and more importantly because he is a human being and it just sucks when anyone is ill enough to be hospitalized, I wish him the best for a full recovery.

Worst-case scenario, Abrams would probably get his frequent collaborator Michael Giacchino to finish anything Williams isn't able to complete. And Giacchino did a very good job on Rogue One. But even he would want Williams to do Episode IX, so hopefully Williams' ailment is temporary and everything works out for that to happen.

Last edited:

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Word from the industry folk over at Film Score Monthly is that Williams came down with a typical plane illness after he arrived in London to kick off that series of European concerts, and he'll be fine. Once he's recovered he'll just head home to L.A. He's been in great spirits at U.S. concerts recently (I saw him at Tanglewood last summer), so it's a pity both for him and his European fans that he had to cancel. But at 86, best not to take any chances.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So, think we'll have to wait until April again to get a teaser trailer for this?

Yeah. I suspect it will go with Endgame -- or, if Disney wants to kick off things earlier, Captain Marvel. The latter is Disney's next release anyway. Plus, both of those go for the same audience as Star Wars and are expected to be big, and I just can't see Disney attaching the first trailer for Episode IX to anything other than one of their own films.

I think the more pressing question is when we will get the title. The title The Last Jedi was announced on StarWars.com on January 23, 2017. I'm not sure when The Force Awakens title was announced. But I do think the name is the next thing we're going to get.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised it's not a bigger time jump. I was figuring 4-6 years, both to account for the cast's aging, and to provide enough time for the Resistance to replenish its ranks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks