What's new

Star Wars:Clones to get IMAX release!? (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Ohh, this should be fun. This will be a good excuse for my first trip to an IMAX experience. Looking forward to it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hmmm considering how bad the 35mm looked in the theaters seeing this blown up to IMAX dimensions could potentially ruin one's eyesight permanently!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention the fact that they will most likely P&S it like they're doing with Apollo 13

BOOOOOOO!

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
The combination of Lucasfilm's innovative digital technology and the revolutionary, proprietary IMAX DMR technology will deliver the clear, crisp and sharp images and sound that IMAX theater-goers have grown to expect," says Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs for IMAX Corporation.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I went to go see Clones on the last night and last showing ever at our only Digital Theater in the Tampa area. I got to the theater and they said, oh we took the movie out the night before and never took the listings out of paper and off the phone. Wow, I was pissed. Anyways, I never got to see it that one last time in the theaters. This gives me another chance to catch the movie in the theaters. And, also my first trip to an IMAX. I'd even do it for a Pan and Scan, damn the people who dont beleive in OAR.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't sound like it'll be available on the "domed" IMAX screens.

For those of you that mentioned you haven't been to an IMAX before, I highly recommend it. It is truly a unique movie experience. And I'm not just talking the cinematic films converted to IMAX, the original IMAX documentaries are great as well.

Personally, I prefer the dome IMAX to the big screen.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one. I'm not a HUGE Star Wars fan but plan on seeing it this Friday at the Smithsonian in DC. Anyone else going to watch it?
www.imax.com
www.si.edu/imax/
No one's really certain if it will be letterboxed or not, but if it's P&S I'll be shrugging throughout the entire movie.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty psyched about it playing the Aquarium here in Boston - that's across the street from where I work (okay, across the road construction and street), as opposed to Natick or Providence. I'm sort of surprised the Aquarium got it; normally, they go for stuff with educational value. I guess they're having a harder time getting butts in seats after 6.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
We're running this in the theater where I work. I'm sooooooo looking forward to seeing it over and over and over again :) At least it's shorter by 24 minutes though, woohoo!!

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I also work in an IMAX that is getting this film. I have no idea if the trailer for Ep. 2 will have any bearing on the aspect ratio of the actual film release, but the trailer is letterboxed. Just an update for those concerned about the OAR being preserved. I'll try to post back as soon as I've screened the actual film.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well I just called the Smithsonian and the info desk employee told me it was an "IMAX fullscreen." :frowning: I know he might be wrong but I'm losing hope and it makes more sense for it to be P&S on a huge screen like that. I'm sure the experience would still be cool but it just seems like a waste (to me anyways) to sit through an entire movie with 33% of it missing. I still may see it depending on how the trip goes this Friday (I plan on doing other things in DC as well).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Well I just called the Smithsonian and the info desk employee told me it was an "IMAX fullscreen." I know he might be wrong but I'm losing hope and it makes more sense for it to be P&S on a huge screen like that. I'm sure the experience would still be cool but it just seems like a waste (to me anyways) to sit through an entire movie with 33% of it missing. I still may see it depending on how the trip goes this Friday (I plan on doing other things in DC as well).
Incorrect. The IMAX prints are indeed letterboxed.

Jeff

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I wonder if there is a separate print for dome theaters. The theater I work in is domed and letterbox prints don't work on domes because the bottom black bar becomes this black round spot in the bottom center because of the curvature and looks really awful. I PRAY they've made a special print just for domed theaters like Disney does with their films or else it will be painful to watch.

John C

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the trailer for the EP II Imax last Thursday, and unless I just missed the letterboxing since the IMAGE IS GIGANTIC, it is in a converted fullscreen ration. I am a huge OAR advocate for home theater, but this looked and sounded INCREDIBLE either way. Let me stress INCREDIBLE!!

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
John,
The trailer is letterboxed, but in kind of a weird way. The past Disney IMAX releases (Fantasia 2000 and Beauty and the Beast) have all had the traditional black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.
The Clones preview has one big black bar at the top, with the picture framed to fit against the bottom of the screen. Functionally speaking, it's doing the same thing as two smaller bars "sandwiching" the image. In all IMAX movies, the center of attention is usually a little below the actual center of the screen, so in a way it makes sense to do this with this release.
Of course, this is just the preview. We should be getting our print of the actual film at my theater today, and assuming I can get it built up and ready to go in time, I should be able to confirm or deny the OAR issue from first-hand experience either this evening or tomorrow morning.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if this was letterboxed - the resolution of the source material is low enough without zooming in further.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Are you guys really going pay inflated IMAX prices to watch an edited down, cropped version of this movie? I don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks