What's new

Star Wars at Costco (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I saw the original trilogy at Costco for $30 on VHS and wanted to buy it but it doesn't say anywhere on the package if it is WS or not. I assume it is Blasphemy Edition. The only thing I could find was (c) 2000 on the bottom, but that may just refer to the packaging. Anybody else have this?

jeremy

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If it was WIDESCREEN, it would specifically say it on the box. These are also the "bastardized" special editions (no non-bastard versions have gone off the production line since the THX lasers in 1995)

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
So now they're bastardized? They may suck, but they aren't bastardized. You're all acting like YOU directed the films. I'm sure you know more than George Lucas does. He must have had a reason to do it.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Ok Jeffrey, you are entitled to your opinion. But to me... they are BASTARDIZED :D I will NEVER buy another incarnation of the Old Trilogy in its current state unless it contains the original version. Face it, the whole "Special Edition" thing was a ploy for GL to make more $$$ when tape and action figure sales were slowing down.
Lucas is also a genius by releasing the 4th episode first... he got to release the old trilogy ($$$), wait 20 years and swim in his money, re-release it with "better" effects (more $$$), release the New Trilogy ($$$) and what is everyone going to wanna see after 1,2,3 are released? 4,5, and 6 again! (with new scenes to tie it in with the New Trilogy). The man is a genius, and I admire his business tactics... but it supposed to be all about the films... not $$$
That said... the "old" THX Lasers are good enough for me :)
Greedo didn't shoot first! ;)
(wow... that was quite a rant... I got on a roll there ;) )

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
ok, now what the hell is this?? Rational, polite discussion about the SEs?? We'll have none of that here, gentlemen. Now, correct this situation! I want to see some ban-worthy flaming here when I get back tomorrow :angry:
;)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute, do you mean the "Definitive" collection of LDs I bought years ago isn't the definitive version anymore? :D

Dennis_HT

Agent
After watching the special edition of the Star Wars trilogy, I have to admit that some of the effects do look dated. (ex. matte lines around the Rancor). I understand why Lucas wants to update these effects so the movies are consistent with the prequel trilogy.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I don't think the problem is with Lucas "updating" his films...the problem is the fact that he doesn't even acknowledge the older versions. In an interview, he referred to them as "work-prints" ...the man has lost touch, if he believes that to be true. He can change things all he wants, as long as he gives me the opportunity to see every version.

That being said, as others...I'm content w/the Definitive Collection lasers for the time being.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy,
I recently purchased the WS SE versions on VHS (no apologies boys! I don't really care much about who shoots first!;). Unless you are a SW fanatic, and a student of the films, I don't really see a problem with the SE's.
FTR, the box will say Widescreen in bold letters, so you can easily stay clear of the PS versions.
It will also NOT say anything about it being a SE, but anything you find in stores now will likely be the set released in 2000, which are the SE's (the SW experts out there will correct me if I am wrong about that).
Since I am only a casual SW fan, this was the best choice for me until the DVDs ever get released. Either that, or don't watch SW.
You can find them on-line. If you search this forum, you will find various links to on-line vendors. I got mine from a place someone mentioned called MoviesUnlimited.com. About $40 deleivered.
You can also pay insane money on E-bay for the non-SE, WS VHS, but you would really need to be a SW purest to justify the cost, IMHO.
Putting aside the fact that the purists will never accept the SE's or anything other than the original, theatrical versions, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the trilogy.
I also found the VHS quality to vary from good to very good when played on a decent VCR (A JVC 7600 with some good digital image correction features). Its never going to be as good as DVD quality, but I was very pleasntly surpised.
Enjoy.
BL

Brenton

Screenwriter
Unless you are a SW fanatic, and a student of the films, I don't really see a problem with the SE's.
As a hardcore Star Wars fan, I can say that most of us prefer the Special Editions (except for Greedo shooting first, which doesn't bother me, but could and should be better).

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
As a hardcore Star Wars fan, I can say that most of us prefer the Special Editions (except for Greedo shooting first, which doesn't bother me, but could and should be better).
Absolutely. I was glad to see that a lot of the special effects were cleaned up in the SE, particularly during space battle scenes -- although I still saw a lot of matting discoloration in RotJ that I hope get cleaned up at the eventual DVD release.
As for Greedo -- you're a hardcore fan but him firing first doesn't bother you? What's wrong with you, man?! ;)

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Brian,

I have to agree with you on the surprising video quality of the WS VHS Trilogy(ies).

I just received the original WS VHS sealed set (flat wide blue box w/laser hollogram) from 1991 in the mail from an auction site. I believe this was the first WS VHS Trilogy edition ever released. (Same masters as the first LD WS Trilogy.)

Superb VHS video quality and untweaked by Lucas! The three individual WS cassette boxes are dated 1977, 1980, and 1983.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
You can also pay insane money on E-bay for the non-SE, WS VHS, but you would really need to be a SW purest to justify the cost, IMHO.
A set of the three laserdiscs and a good used laserdisc player can be had for a fairly reasonable price, perhaps less than an unopened set of the VHS tapes.

RD

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy-

You don't want the one from CostCo. There was one opened at ours, so I took it and wandered over to the TV demo section and popped it in the VCR.

This movie has been formatted...

Funny how people look at you when you're screaming obscenities at a TV in public.

-Seth

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
ANY issue of Star Wars released after 1995 will contain the SEs.

The only way to get the original in Widescreen is:

Blue Box set on VHS (1989)
Laserdiscs with original cover art (1989)
Definitive THX CAV Laserdisc Box Set (1993)
"Faces/THX" VHS box set, black with Vader cover (1995)
"Faces/THX" CLV laserdiscs (1995)

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Jeremy,

I believe there is another version available.
I have the 1995 VHS release in a metal box, which had a bonus 4th tape, loads of extras, stills and a screen play.

At the time I heard this was limited to 20,000 copies worldwide of which the UK only got 2,000.

I paid around USD100 for this at time of issue and have recently seen this go for silly money on auctions.

Does anyone know if this is highly collectable ?
I presume we unlikley to see the extras again. Were these the same as on the laser boxset ?

Thanks

Malcolm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks