What's new

Star Wars at Costco (1 Viewer)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
As a hardcore Star Wars fan, I can say that most of us prefer the Special Editions (except for Greedo shooting first, which doesn't bother me, but could and should be better).
I would LOVE to see the user poll data that backs up that statement. I think you can say that you prefer them, but to speak on behalf of the entire "hardcore" fanbase is a bit presumptuous.

I didn't mind when Lucas cleaned up matte lines and such, but Greedo firing first, the updated dance number in Jabba's palace (just awful), and the additional scenes that added nothing but lowbrow humor (the Jawas falling off that giraffe-like thing) were pointless. They added no real value to the experience, and in the case of Greedo shooting first, completely changed the character of Han Solo while diluting the significance of the changes he underwent during the story.

I respect Lucas and his desire to improve upon the originals. They're his and he can do as he likes. I'd just really appreciate it if he would let me buy the originals too.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I didn't mind when Lucas cleaned up matte lines and such, but Greedo firing first, the updated dance number in Jabba's palace (just awful), and the additional scenes that added nothing but lowbrow humor (the Jawas falling off that giraffe-like thing) were pointless. They added no real value to the experience, and in the case of Greedo shooting first, completely changed the character of Han Solo while diluting the significance of the changes he underwent during the story.
Have you seen the original dance number that was replaced? No matter how bad you think the new one is, no one can deny that it's better that the old one.

Additional scenes that added nothing but lowbrow humor? You don't find it an improvement to see that Mos Eisley is really a little bit more than just a few dome shaped buildings, extras wearing stupid hats, and a couple of landspeeders with huge red smearing blurs underneath? On the contrary, these additional scenes add scope to the Mos Eisley sequence, something that Lucas always wanted but never had the budget to do before.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I like what Lucas did in the SE, except for a few things:

1. The CGI is too "look at this, it's CGI!" They should have tried to make it look more organic, like it was done with models, and like it was filmed with the rest of the film back in 1977. They should have added grain, etc., like with the Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Edition.

2. Too many fake-looking CGI creatures (rontos, dewbacks, etc.)

3. The changes we all hate: Greedo shooting first, the Jabba scene (ESPECIALLY Boba Fett walking towards the camera!), the new wampa footage, Luke's scream when falling down the reactor shaft, "Jedi Rocks," etc.

4. The film is EDITED. Footage of blaster fire actually hitting Imperial officers is deleted...just like Greedo shooting first, a PC issue.

5. The fact that Lucas pulled the original versions from the market, instead of keeping them available and letting people continue to buy the versions they liked more.

Brenton

Screenwriter
5. The fact that Lucas pulled the original versions from the market, instead of keeping them available and letting people continue to buy the versions they liked more.
I'll give you that one. As for me, I would never ever watch the original versions anyway, but Lucas should be fair to the purists and film historians.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks