What's new

star wars animated 3d series (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
what exactly does "3D" mean? will it require glasses or is it just the standard CG "starship troopers rednecks" type animation?

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

Ok, I'm a little confused by all of this post-PT talk. I've read all kinds of rumors, and I'm wondering what we know for a fact about the planned TV shows. I've read that LucasFilm has announced that an animated show and a live action show will be created. According to this thread, the animated show will be 3D animation.

Do we know, for certain, when these two series will take place in the Star Wars timeline? I've read that the cartoon series will take place during the Clone Wars, then I read that was wrong. I've heard that the live action show will take place between Episodes 3 and 4, then I read it will be after Episode 2. Argh.

For what it's worth, I wish they'd get the crew from the original CLONE WARS cartoon series and animate the Thrawn trilogy of books. I honestly believe Tim Zahn's new characters [Thrawn, Mara Jade, etc.] are as interesting [sometimes MORE] as Lucas' original characters. Since there's no chance of a reunion of the OT cast for a live action version of the Thrawn trilogy [the actors are much too old], and animated version seems like the only possibility. And what a cool one it would be...

mattl

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Don't be so sure....it just might mean both.

I'd bet that while the Star Wars series will likely air in two dimensions, full stereoscopic 3-D versions of the series will exist for later use.

Lucas, along with James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez, Robert Zemeckis, Peter Jackson, and others are very involved in the push for digital and digital 3-D movie projection.

Three-D conversions of the Star Wars movies are of course already underway. Cameron has already publicly stated he will never shoot a flat movie again.

After the successful release of POLAR EXPRESS and CHICKEN LITTLE, pretty much all CGI family films are soon going to be offered in a digital 3-D or IMAX 3-D version (MONSTER HOUSE, THE ANT BULLY, HAPPY FEET, OPEN SEASON, MEET THE ROBINSONS this year alone) so it is not too hard to imagine that if the STAR WARS series is CGI, then stereoscopic files may well be created as this seems to be becoming standard practice.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The animated series is said to be 3-D animation, like the Toy Story films. The live-action TV show is standard (although I suspect it will be in widescreen, HD, etc.) The 3D with the 3D glasses thing is for 3D versions of the six movies.

TheForce.Net just did an update on this stuff:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...hows_97662.asp

Be sure to read the corrections at the end of the article!

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link, Sam. I hadn't checked in at TFN in a week or so because it seems like real news is a little less frequent these days.

It's interesting that Lucas is planning on writing and directing the live action show. After Ep.III, didn't he say something about being eager to moving on to non-SW projects? I'm certainly not complaining or anything; I just expected him to take a less active role in the TV shows.

mattl

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks