What's new

Star Trek: TOS: The Roddenberry Vault Season One (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Did anybody else find "Return to Tomorrow " an odd choice?
I've never heard of it being a hugely popular or especially good episode.
They had the 3 clips for it -- the extended "risk is our business" speech, the no audio Spock meld and the thing with Spock and Chapel at the end. But the episode is only ok at best.
And the only guest star Diana Muldaur was a no show.
"Conscience of the King" had two clips and I think it has one of Shatner's best performances. Also Barbara Anderson is only 71 and probably could have done an interview. Personally I think it would have made a better choice.
Maybe they were afraid of over representation of season one?
And they must have had zero footage fron Amok Time to exclude that from the set. Ditto for Doomsday Machine.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There's some Doomsday stuff in the "swept up" featurette on disc 3. And, oddly, more Return To Tomorrow clips.

The Swept Up featurette is astounding. Why all the footage couldn't be presented in that manner is beyond me.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I think that might have been it as far as what was included - just pointing out that something from that episode was included.

Yep, that one was cool. It was definitely not as good as the take they used. I wonder if that was an earlier or latter take? My guess is an earlier take as Decker was not as emotional in the alternate take. Perhaps he hadn't worked himself up to his emotional peak yet.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
One of the things that was interesting about the alternate take was that Windom changed the dialogue. I wonder which take was closer to the scripted speech. I imagine it was the take they ultimately used, as that dialogue was more powerful and carefully wrought, but I can't be positive.

Yes, after hearing -- "Don't you think I know that? They were -- but not anymore!" -- for all these years, hearing "Don't you suppose I know that?" -- was jarring.

I really hope they didn't assume that only some of that stuff would interest us!
I'd watch hours of alternate takes.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
This is the kind of rare footage they left out......

The Queen's cameo as a Science crewman from the Christmas episode.

upload_2016-12-25_20-18-34.png

She'll never make Lieutenant at this rate!

Merry Christmas!!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't know if you guys have noticed it but some of the isolated music tracks aren't discrete; they have sound effects mixed in. Drives me nuts.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I've been continuing my Star Trek viewings with the time off from work.

I viewed the third and fourth documentary in the Vault set, there was some really cool gems in there, I'm sorry to ask, but I'm not sure why there is the disappointment with the set. I think you guys have said you think the content is great. But that the way it's presented is lacking by forcing you to view some of the clips within the documentaries. Sure, that's unfortunate.

Metamorphosis is one of my top favorite episodes and the clips from there were great and great to hear Miss. Donahue's memories from doing it, also great to hear from Mr. Senesky too! How cool was it to see the shot with Shatner looking up at Donahue on a ladder reading the Companion lines!

The City on the Edge of Forever clips were astonishing! The clips between William Shatner and Joan Collins were really astonishing. There was more filmed and I can only guess the editors felt the material they left off was interrupting the flow or they had time issues. What great material! You really see they were building up that love affair. And how Edith was able to see something in Kirk that wasn't quite right, but felt a mutual connection. That would have been amazing to have seen the one scene in the staircase had it been kept in the episode.

The scenes from Operation Annihilate was great. The Spock sequence on the planet was neat to see, but it seem unnecessary. It sounded so odd to hear the new dialogue on the bridge when Kirk sees his nephew off and then Kirk speaks to Scotty. What great stuff! We finally see that scene! It's amazing the clips have dialogue and sound!

Hate to show my age, but this is really gold and stuff we'd have loved to have seen in the horrible period between the series end and The Motion Picture era. Though at my very young age, I don't think it would have been as appreciated as I do now.

The clips again from Devil in the Dark was cool, but I can see why those were left out, there was one sequence that explained more about the number of tunnels and the mystery of why they don't see more Horta's that could have been useful to get the plot further along.

The forth doc was great to see too. I've never seen such clean and clear shots of the Enterprise fly-by. Too bad more of that material didn't survive for the remastering of the series in 2006. I didn't know Richard Edlund was contributing to TOS! And his insight was really enlightening. I knew the series was a challenge to create effects for, but to hear him talk about it adds to that level of challenge the series had at the time. Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea has some great visual effects, but they were really filmed in real water and the Jupiter II was filmed in front of a star field. Star Trek did it the hard way by compositing the elements to build up the layers of ship, stars and planets which is more like the process in feature film work.

I think some have questioned the value of the documentaries. I think they are well done and for the viewer who is a casual fan or new to a Star Trek, it really helps them understand what it took to put the series together, I agree with the one person interviewed that it really isn't fair to knock Star Trek for having cheesy effects. They were doing state of the art work on a very limited budget and time constraints.

I'm looking forward to indulging in the final two documentaries. I'm learning a few new things from the docs and I've followed Star Trek for a very long time. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to ask, I never understood the interest in isolated scores. I love buying, collecting and listening to film scores and I treasure the La La Land release of the TOS complete soundtrack. So I do listen to a lot of soundtrack music. Is it that fans want to see the episode with the music only? I guess I can understand that. :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I forgot to ask, I never understood the interest in isolated scores. I love buying, collecting and listening to film scores and I treasure the La La Land release of the TOS complete soundtrack. So I do listen to a lot of soundtrack music. Is it that fans want to see the episode with the music only? I guess I can understand that. :)
Technically, the Vault's isolated scores are not completely isolated, because there are some sound effects mixed in (wind at the beginning of Paradise, for example). That said, I agree with you--if the scores have been released already. But isolated scores for The Twilight Zone, for example, were gold when I didn't have those soundtracks on CD. So I guess it depends 1) if the soundtracks have been previously released, and 2) if you happen to own the soundtracks. The TOS boxed set kinda makes these so-called isolated tracks on the Vault irrelevant. They came a few years too late for this fan, but surely they a nice touch, especially for those who don't already have the scores.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You know, just a few simple changes and the Vault would have been magnificent. All they would have had to do is: 1: (as Josh has pointed out) Put all the Vault material in Swept Up; but 2: (and maybe more importantly) Create a menu so the user can go to any episode fragment and find any clip instantaneously. Such on-screen menus would have been relatively simple to create, even as Swept Up stands now. And for this fan, would have made all the difference, because the Vault would have at once gone from a mere curiosity to a serious source of reference. What's most sad is after all the hard work and love that went into it--with just a few cosmetic tweaks, the Vault could have easily been both.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, I look at the isolated scores as either a poor man's soundtrack or better than nothing. Not like I'm doing it often but it can be interesting to see a movie or TV show play with just the music.
Truth be told, when I was hard up for money, I used to play isolated scores and record them, them chop them into tracks and make my own soundtrack. It worked. And the cool thing about it, even if the episode had library music, I had the COMPLETE score for the episode, just as it appeared, and in order :) That's something you usually don't get, not even on the remarkable TOS boxed soundtrack set.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I hope the isolated scores on the Blu-rays didn't take too big of a bite out of the market and make companies nervous about selling enough copies of a CD release.
I don't think they are coordinated enough in their thinking to view it that way. I think they will exploit every niche market that legal hurdles (or imagined legal hurdles) don't keep them from exploiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks