What's new

Star Trek: TOS: The Roddenberry Vault Season One (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just a couple of opinions: The deleted scene from CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER between Kirk and Edith moved me deeply, as did Shatner's final comment about Nimoy's death and the flap about Shatner not attending Nimoy's funeral. There are some good interviews in the set. Really good. But it's a double edged sword when I have to wade through them all to find the vault clips.

I am working on a list of time codes so I can get to any vault clip quickly. Would have been nice given the price of the set if they had done this for buyers, a simple printed insert at the least.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I saw the third disc last night, the last two documentaries only.

I was a little dissapointed by the final scene from Who Mourns for Adonais, I don't think it was being over sold, but I had thought that there might have been a master shot of McCoy telling Kirk the news about Carolyn, and not just the close-up on Nimoy for his reaction shots. If that's all there is, then at least it exists to prove it was filmed and we can hear some of the actual lines.

What's interesting of the alternate or cut lines is the removal of lines and words that have a tendency to sound, for a lack of better word, spacey. Those kinds of lines tended to date the show, like Mendez's line in The Menagerie calling the court martial, a court of Space Law, and not law.

But one the whole, this set has some really great stuff. I agree Alan that the scenes with William Shatner from Conscience of the King and City on the Edge of Forever is great work. You do really feel for the characters Kirk and Edith and I wonder if the end would have been even more powerful had those scenes made the cut. It was also interesting to hear William Shatner talk about acting technique. I never, after all these years, hear him talk like that. He's never spoken about acting and how he plays a character before, at least I've never encountered it like that before. How he was able to inhabit the character, and when the words are there as he mentions, he can really fully flesh the guy out. And yes, it was interesting to hear Shatner talk about the dilemma about Leonard's funeral and the charity he had agreed to appear at. Tough choice there and I understand his reasoning.

Seeing Nichelle Nichols singing Beyond Antares was interesting as the other clips in that the actors had to repeat a performance several times for multiple angles, so it was hard work!

The swept up section showing the Vulcan Mind meld on Sargon was probably better left off. But I do like the briefing room scene when Spock says he knows how powerful Sargon is. It added more uumph to his line. I thought though that Spock already gave Nomad the mind meld so it looked to me it was in danger of being over used.

The clips of the Enterprise being shot on the stage is so good! It was cool to see the guy under the model turning the dial to rotate the gimbal the model is mounted to so it looks like the ship is turning. I still keep thinking had more of those shots showed up, if they could have used them on the remaster. But watching TOS with original effects on the blu-rays, I've realized that it's probably better they never touched it and left it with the warts.

This set really shows how it was to make the show and how the actors were applying their craft with a serious effort to do great work.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It's great to read feedback on this set!
I have to admit that I'm still on the fence about picking it up.
I want too, but I feel it's going to going to be a one and done watch.

I also have the animated blu ray set to pick up and I feel the same way about that set. It doesn't help that I have access to the animated series on prime.

At any rate I will most likely wait for a price break.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I want too, but I feel it's going to going to be a one and done watch.
The way the set was conceived, it's more of a curiosity than a reference source. So yes, one and done is probably right. But if you consider it as the special features we should have had for the TOS HD sets (which is the way I look at the Vault) that puts it in a more rewatchable light, at least for me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I also have the animated blu ray set to pick up and I feel the same way about that set. It doesn't help that I have access to the animated series on prime.

I skipped the Vault in favor of the animated series BLu-Ray. I'm very happy with it, rediscovering the Filmation masterpiece all over again(forgot most of the series, haven't seen it in years). It is gorgeous.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
What Alan said in Post 181 about William Shatner and Joan Collins cut scenes is what I felt too. That was some pretty amazing footage. Your mileage may vary as they say. It is well worth it to me to add to my Star Trek collection.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What Alan said in Post 181 about William Shatner and Joan Collins cut scenes is what I felt too. That was some pretty amazing footage. Your mileage may vary as they say. It is well worth it to me to add to my Star Trek collection.
Yes, that scene should have been in the episode, even if something else had to be cut. If it had been in the episode, CITY would have been twice as good. Because the love story would have been 10 times more powerful.

Just proves that if a writer can make a good metaphor (or simile), they can write great material. If they can't make a good metaphor (or simile), I don't care how talented they are, they will never be great, IMHO. In this case, whether it was Ellison or one of the other writers that took a pass at that infamous teleplay, the genius was the idea of "falling." So powerfully written and performed.

That single deleted scene justified the entire Roddenberry Vault for me.

Last edited:

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
More and more reports of live action alterations creeping into the "original" versions of the episodes.
Someone has said that even when you choose the original version of Arena -- the Gorn blinks and the CGI fix they did to the long shot where Kirk and co. beam down is in there. As originally shot they placed a metal piece in front of the camera to block the viewer from seeing the backlot. In the re-mastered, they digitally removed the metal and added a digital matte to open up the shot. I already confirmed that the matte they added in "City.." is in all versions and not just the re-mastered.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I've watched all of the documentaries on the set, and while I liked them very much this release is a bit on the confusing side.

So, the episodes themselves are pretty much throwaways, right? Especially since I already own the entire series on Blu-ray and DVD. Watching the episodes on this set yields nothing new aside from a couple of commentaries. All of the new stuff is in the documentaries. Correct?

This seems like a lost opportunity to me. Why not have a feature where you can see the alternate/deleted stuff with the episode that it belongs to? Like a pop up icon that you can click on to view the alternate/deleted stuff? They did things like that with the Okuda's text facts and trivia on the original series season sets and Next Generation sets (if I remember correctly). Then have a feature where you can view alternate/deleted stuff from episodes that are not on the set. Like the swept up documentary. This would make a bit more sense to me. Keep all of the other documentaries on the set. Since the alternate/deleted footage is the selling point of this release, CBS really didn't seem to show case it in the best light. At least in my opinion.

Plus, where is the infamous blooper reel that has been circulating for years? That has not been released on any Star Trek set yet. I know that Roddenberry was the owner of that, and this was the perfect opportunity to release a good quality copy of that and include bloopers from season 3. If I remember correctly, the existing blooper reel has stuff from seasons 1 and 2.

Finally, I had to laugh at one thing that was mentioned in the 3rd documentary. When they were talking about Shatner's sideburns and how they didn't want them to look too 60's and how Gene wanted a timeless look. They then mentioned Harrison Ford's hair in Star Wars and there is no mistaking that it was the 1970's. Sorry, while the men's hair may not have looked 1960's there was plenty of other things in Star Trek where there is no mistaking that it was made in the 1960's. Most of the women's clothes including the Enterprise's female uniforms. The space hippies. With all of that, I think focusing on the men's hair and their side burns seems a bit silly.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Plus, where is the infamous blooper reel that has been circulating for years? That has not been released on any Star Trek set yet. I know that Roddenberry was the owner of that, and this was the perfect opportunity to release a good quality copy of that and include bloopers from season 3. If I remember correctly, the existing blooper reel has stuff from seasons 1 and 2.

There are reels for all three seasons, though the third-season reel wasn't seen as often on the bootleg circuit. It was the '90s before I got to see the third season reel.

I'm sure there are probably still rights/permissions issues that keep the blooper reels out of official circulation. Knowing how Paramount (and now CBS) has seen Star Trek as a money machine, you know they would have released them if they had the legal right to (and if they possessed the film elements, of course).

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I found this fan video on another message board. This is a bit too much overkill in terms of attention to an episode, but it's exactly the type of detailed analysis I was expecting from Star Trek on video. The episode is discussed as a composition of work.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Price alert! The UK release of this is down to £9.00 (about $12.00 US)! Way cheaper than it's ever been Stateside. Just ordered mine!

The UK release is region free, like other non-US releases from CBS.

Thanks!
I have dragged my feet on this since the reviews were brutal.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I have dragged my feet on this since the reviews were brutal.

As someone who may have given a "brutal" review of this set, I still recommend it to any fan of Star Trek TOS as it will likely be the only time CBS will ever give us interviews, commentary and special features relating to the production of this classic show. It could have been more in depth, but it's worth owning to have the few remaining living people who were part of making this show share their memories.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Thanks... I've been holding out ordering this since it first went down to that price on the 5th. All based on less than stellar reviews. No one said it like you just did, which is enough justification to get me to bite. I stuck a copy of "The Ronnie Barker Ultimate Collection" in the order since it dropped to £21.99. It was just under $41 shipped for both. The Barker collection has been a couple of pounds cheaper but I've been wanting it for a while and that price is good enough. The £7.50 (after VAT removal) plus shipping for the Roddenberry Vault is just amazingly good - even if that's all you order.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It’s a must buy for sure for the long time TOS fans. Thanks for the heads up on the price drop. I wasn’t patient and bought it on the week of release. But that’s ok as it was a must have for me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks