What's new

Star Trek TOS re-release? (1 Viewer)

John*D

Second Unit
I'm willing to bet we'll see thinpak releases for this series as well as the rest of the franchise as is currently being done in R2 for TNG. It's just a matter of when...

I can wait.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I would almost buy the set in thinpack at the right price.
So that is 40 discs for 3 years?

William Shatner introduced some bloopers from TOS on a bloopers TV show in the 80's. Mostly doors not opening on cue, etc. They looked pretty poor, I think the film wasn't prepared back in the 60's for longetivity, just the wrap parties, hence the crummy quality even on the original reels. I think modern restoration could help a lot. Not likely in our lifetimes.

I think we'll see a rerelease of TOS on HD DVD or Blu Ray. It would be nice if they really added some major leage extras instead of the lightweight fluff so far.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Sadly, deleted scenes no longer exist at Paramount. Why? It's well-documented in Herb Solow and Bob Justman's book Inside Star Trek. In a nutshell: Roddenberry and his girlfriend, Majel, backed up a truck one Sunday afternoon and made off with all the film trims, unused footage, etc. then cut them up into "clips" packages (such as Spaceships, Monsters, etc.) and market them through the Lincoln Enterprises company that Roddenberry started up to "give Majel something to do."

Roddenberry saw this as "his" show and, of the opinion that he wasn't going to make any money off of syndicated reruns, decided to take this footage. Justman found out about this later when he was looking for some discarded/unused stock shots of the Enterprise flying in space (so that they could have some "new" shots without blowing the budget). When he found the film clip library empty, he queried the loading dock security guard who told him Gene and his girlfriend backed up the truck and loaded the stuff one weekend.

This is likely where the original 90-minute "The Cage" disappeared to, as well.

Some footage has been found in private hands since the end of the series. In fact, there's a website out there run by a guy collecting these trims and doing his own restoration work. You can view that site here: http://startrekhistory.com/restoration/

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Actually, Stardate Order does not correspond to production order or airdate order. It is another totally different viewing order.

For those keeping score, Stardate Order was used by Columbia House in their "video club" release of the series (at least, on VHS and maybe Laser, too).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Believe it or not, Startrek.com is the place to look too. They list the episodes in broadcast order, but each one is numbered too by production order. And they list the DVD disc number the episode is on.

They do this for each series as well.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Personally I plan on waiting until the thinpacks are released before I purchase any Star Trek season sets.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Mark, that makes two of us. I had the TOS full series set in the "cart" at DDD last week during their 20% sale but I didn't click the "buy" button. Either I was detered by a Romulan agent :D or I am hoping that you're right about a future slimpack re-release. My alternate hope is that "Santa" will have it on his Irving, TX delivery list this Dec :D

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Tell me about it. I'd like the buy the entire Star Trek series, all of the shows, as thinpack releases and at a substantial drop in price. Since the thinkpacks are available in the UK they are bound to be released here by the time next summer rolls around.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

I am a thinPak fiend but I could not turn down getting all 7 seasons of DS9 for $250 delivered! And thinPaks don't affect me too much with Start Trek any way since I repackage them using Ric's incredible DVD covers.

Andy

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Homicide: Life on the Street was also in production order instead of airdate order.

Sometimes DVD is a chance to correct the situation when the network seriously screwed with the ordering of the episodes.

EDIT: I was incorrect. Crusade was in airdate order, but JMS published his alternative "preferred order" which is how the episodes are listed on the Lurker's Guide.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Although that so-called "preferred order" by JMS on the Sci-Fi Channel was simply more of a concession to the bowdlerized story-flow and pacing originally screwed up by TNT, rather than true chronology (and which gave him the psychological satisfaction of utterly dumping "War Zone" right near the very tail-end of the run)...the official, canonical order was published in the pages of the Official Babylon 5 Magazine (in the Official Chronology), and represents the true, JMS-sanctioned causal sequence of the series's events:
  1. War Zone
  2. The Long Road
  3. Appearances and Other Deceits
  4. The Memory of War
  5. The Needs of Earth
  6. Racing the Night
  7. Visitors From Down the Street
  8. Each Night I Dream of Home
  9. The Path of Sorrows
  10. Patterns of the Soul
  11. Ruling From the Tomb
  12. The Well of Forever
  13. The Rules of the Game

The original TNT airing order (also on the DVDs):
  1. War Zone
  2. The Long Road
  3. The Well of Forever
  4. The Path of Sorrows
  5. Patterns of the Soul
  6. Ruling from the Tomb
  7. The Rules of the Game
  8. Appearances and Other Deceits
  9. Racing the Night
  10. The Memory of War
  11. The Needs of Earth
  12. Visitors From Down the Street
  13. Each Night I Dream of Home

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, I just made a great purchase and wanted to let you know about it. I bought the third season of the original Star Trek series for $57.71 at Columbia House (online). It was less than $69 with shipping/handling and tax. I've been holding off due to the high cost, but this is the best deal I've seen by far. I think they have the other seasons discounted too.

Thanks

JeffO

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I recently got all 3 seasons of the original series from my local retailer here in greece , the ones that come in the tricorder packaging , for just 38 euros a season ! Grand total that i paid 114 euros only ,when you convert that to dollars that comes to 146 dollars , divide that by 3 for eachseason , and ive got each star trek season for only 48 bucks! I bet no one can beat that price , of course i got lucky and it was a 1 week special only !

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Tony, hello from Texas in the U.S. :) I might need to fly to Greece to buy TOS. I've been waiting for someone over here to drop the price for this series but the lowest I've seen TOS priced was at DDD during their mid-summer discount sale. If I remember the price was $256.00 for all 3 seasons. That's still too high for me but it's not far from a price that would get me to buy the series.

Brian Manning

Auditioning
DDD has the complete TOS set listed for a price drop on Aug 22 to the new price of $137.31.

TNG seasons 6 and 7 for $51.43 on the same day. I didn't bother looking for DS9 or the other series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks