What's new

Star Trek TOS re-release? (1 Viewer)

Greg K

Second Unit
Has there been any news about a TOS re-release (perhaps for the 40th anniversary)?

I have the 40-volume, 2-episode-per-disc releases that came out before the three season sets.

What exactly are the differences between those discs and the later sets? I've heard that the earlier discs have problems (like missing scenes/sound effects, etc.)?

Anyway, I've been hesitant to upgrade to the season sets because:

1. They're in airdate order, and I kinda like to watch the evolution of the series in production order.

2. The lack of the preview trailers at the end of the episodes (they're viewable as spearate extras, instead), and the lack of blooper reels, deleted footage, etc. (Personally, I'd love to see a release with all of those things, as well as the scripts).

3. The PRICE!!!! $130 a season! Frankly, that's outrageous. Is the high cost due to the packaging or something? For any other show (CSI, Buffy, Sanford and Son, etc.) you can get a full season for $40-$60.

Any thoughts? Should I get the TOS season sets, or wait for a possible re-release/markdown?

What would the "perfect" TOS release have?

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
There won't be a TOS re-release for the 40th anniversary, but there will be an animated series release this fall.

If I were you, I would wait for a price drop for the season sets. They've started reducing prices for TNG and DS9, so I would guess Voyager and TOS are next on the list for that. The reason for the high prices: Trek fans were willing to pay them to have their favorite show on DVD. Now that the rabid fans are satisfied, Paramount is happy to let more people have a bite at the same apple.

The season sets are in airdate order, but with the 2-episode sets, you're changing discs every 2 episodes anyway.

I don't know about differences between the episodes themselves, but you have to ask yourself if the disc seven bonus materials are worth it for you. If you're not planning on getting rid of your 40 other boxes, you won't be saving any shelf space.

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts on the matter. I hope they are of some help in your decision.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Greg,

AFAIK, the transfers are the exact same between the 40 disc set and the 3-season set. One exception to this is in the episode "The Tholian Web", where a short sequence (10 seconds?) in sick bay was cut for syndication, and was inadvertantly left off in the 40-disc set. This was corrected for the season sets, however. Can anyone confirm this?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
My one significant beef with the later season-sets is brought up above:

Whenever I watch the series in some semblance of a run, I always have to go by the damn numbers next to each episode on the "episode selection" screen in order to view them in the proper, intended chronological/production order (as opposed to the bowdlerized NBC one).

It's one thing those early 2-episode DVDs got right -- starting out with "Where No Man Has Gone Before," rather than "The Man Trap" (unless you're, like, simply mezzo-mezzo about the whole thing one way or the other).

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

Have all 40 original volumes that I'm looking to unload. Will sell whole thing for a very low price (better that than just donating the whole kit and kaboodle to a library). Private message me if you're interested.

Best,
Kevin

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I don't like is that they replaced the Desilu logo from 1966-67 with the 1978 version. The Sci-Fi episodes aren't like this.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is the new season sets have marginally better transfers. Personally, I'm keeping both sets. Its kinda nice, the new set is the back-up set. The old sets have much shorter load times too and the lack of the animated menus makes the old set nice if you're tired of the waiting on the menus, which isn't that bad.

Hard to say about a re-release. This is the 40th Anniversary year of Star Trek TOS. The best chance is the Animated release. An HD set of TOS could find it's way out, but who knows when.

Everyone always like to make a comment about the price of Star Trek on DVD. Considering that the 40 disc set ran on average $14 a disc, that's $560 compared to roughly $280 for the 3 season set at Costco. Not bad for the new set.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Not exactly on topic, but DDD's summer 20% discount is going until Sat 06/17. I have TOS in my cart but haven't clicked the "buy" button yet. It's $205.05 ($68.35/season) for the entire series set. Still higher than average, but maybe it's "time". I've been waiting for TOS $$ to come down but I'm not sure about getting the set now or gambling that it'll come down more later. I did notice that it's gone "in & out of stock" a few times when I've checked my cart. Looks like there were a considerable #s out there that were waiting for this DDD sale for this set.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Thank God Firefly was not put on DVD in airdate order...so no, not all TV on DVD is put out in airdate order. Star Trek should be watched in production order. I mean you have "Where No Man Has Gone Before" a third of the way through the 1st season in airdate order. Same with "Corbomite Maneuver". Most older shows work in any order. Newer ones have an intended order, now if thats production order i wouldnt know.

Greg K

Second Unit

Don't remind me. I'm already kicking myself for getting the 40 discs instead of waiting for the inevitable season-set release. Still, there are pros and cons to both releases.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I bought most of the 40-disc sets way back when. Got some of them as gifts, too. I haven't bothered to pick up the newer sets yet. With price drops on the newer sets, I'd probably sell what I have or give them to somebody.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Exactly right -- the "stardate order" is the only way to go on this one. On the one hand, I can appreciate the sentiment behind preserving the original NBC historical broadcast sequence for posterity's sake, but the narrative flow of several of the stronger episodes in the "stardate order" is disrupted when one views the NBC arrangement on the newer DVDs.

Usually around 95% of the time, using a series' original broadcast order for DVD is fine and dandy. Occasionally, though, certain producers need to take a long, hard look at what is best for the show, rather than sticking by an anachronistic and obsolete principle out of a sense of misplaced obligation or industry-trendiness.

Greg K

Second Unit

From what I understand, they have the preview trailers, but as separate extras. Didn't the trailers air at the end of each episode, before the end credits? Shouldn't they be inserted there?

And I don't think the season sets have the infamous blooper reels.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Greg, there are no bloopers available for any of the official releases of Star Trek. But without getting into details that violate any forum rules, you can get them. Any official release of the bloopers is as likely as a Vulcan ship landing in Montana tomorrow.

As for trailers on the new season sets, they are accessed via the main menu of each episode. So they are not separated. Same thing on the old sets. However, on the old laserdiscs and VHS tapes, those had the trailers at the end of the episodes right before the end credits.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Nelson, there are substantial blooper reels on the Enterprise sets. Unless you mean on either of the official original series releases.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Katherine, you're right, I was referring to the TOS bloopers. Opps.

The Enterprise bloopers look great compared to the faded TOS bloopers. I suspect one of the reasons that the TOS bloopers will never see the light of day as official Paramount releases is because it is a private gag reel meant only for the wrap party and there are still clearance issues I think. Some of the content is not politically correct, most are forgotten lines of dialogue or messed up lines and some are practical jokes. I think Paramount and the original cast do not want to be seen in a not so good light.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Similarly the one gag reel I've seen from TNG was made for Reading Rainbow and itself contains some elements that don't portray the actors in the best light. I also believe that some of the actors involved are of the school of not releasing gag material because they "believe that the material should be seen in it's intended context."

My understanding is that Michael Shanks has that stated objection and that's why we don't see any Stargate SG1 gag material beyond one clip that involves Amanda Tapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks